Orange Lemon Orangies
This post may contain affiliate links.
Orange Lemon Orangies – Like brownies, but made with orange, lemon, and white chocolate!! Fast, EASY, dense, chewy, and packed with big, BOLD citrus flavor!!
If you like lemon bars and citrusy desserts in general, these fast, easy, one-bowl, no-mixer bars are just the thing for you.
It came to be because I adapted a very popular recipe for Lemon Lemonies and created Orangies so to speak.
So many readers have asked me on the Lemon Lemonies recipe if it can be made with an orange twist and I decided to give that a whirl.
I used orange extract and orange juice in the white chocolate-based batter so the bars are the orange half.
The glaze is made with lemon juice which is obviously tarter and a nice balance to the sweeter orange base.
I felt that using orange in the glaze could cause them to read too sweet but if that’s not a problem for you and you really want bold orange flavor, make the glaze with OJ.
- 3/4 cup white chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick)
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 teaspoons orange extract, or to taste
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- about 1/3 cup lemon juice, or as necessary for consistency
- about 1 tablespoon lemon zest, or to taste
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line an 8-by-8-inch baking pan with aluminum foil, spray with cooking spray; set aside.
- Bars – To a large, microwave-safe bowl add the white chocolate, butter, and heat to melt, about 1 minute on high power. Stop to check and stir and then heat in 20-second bursts, stopping to stir after each burst, until mixture can be stirred smooth. White chocolate is very prone to scorching and seizing up, so watch it carefully and don’t overheat.
- Wait momentarily before adding the eggs so you don’t scramble them. Add the eggs, granulated sugar, orange juice, orange extract, and whisk until combined.
- Add the flour, salt, and stir until just combined; don’t overmix.
- Turn batter out into prepared pan, smoothing the top lightly with a spatula.
- Bake for about 25 to 27 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out mostly clean, or with a few moist crumbs, but no batter; set aside and make the glaze.
- Glaze – In a medium bowl, add 2 cup confectioners’ sugar, 1/3 cup lemon juice, and whisk until smooth. As necessary, add additional lemon juice (or sugar) to reach desired glaze consistency. I used slightly over 1/3 cup lemon juice. Glaze should be fairly thin and easily pourable.
- Evenly pour glaze over bars, smoothing it lightly with a spatula if necessary, but glaze will likely just slide into place.
- Evenly sprinkle with lemon zest.
- Allow bars to cool in pan uncovered for at least 2 to 3 hours, (or overnight and cover with a sheet of foil) before slicing and serving so glaze can set up. Bars will keep airtight at room temperature for up to 1 week, or in the freezer for up to 6 months.
Adapted from Lemon Lemonies
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 422Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 71mgSodium: 92mgCarbohydrates: 67gFiber: 1gSugar: 50gProtein: 5g
Lemon Lemonies – Like brownies, but made with lemon and white chocolate! Dense, chewy, not cakey and packed with big, bold lemon flavor!
The Best Lemon Bars – Truly the best traditional lemon bars I’ve ever had!
Orange Poke Cake with Honey-Orange Glaze – Bold orange flavor in this easy, 100% scratch, no mixer poke cake! Orange juice, orange extract, and orange zest make this cake the best way ever to get your Vitamin C!!
Lemon Cupcakes with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting – Soft, fluffy, moist, very lemony cupcakes from scratch! Easy one-bowl, no-mixer recipe for cupcakes that taste like they’re from a bakery!
Lemon Buttermilk Cake with Lemon Glaze – An easy little cake with big lemon flavor! Soft, fluffy, and foolproof if you like puckering up!
Orange Poke Cake with Honey-Orange Glaze – Bold orange flavor in this easy, 100% scratch, no mixer poke cake! Orange juice, orange extract, and orange zest make this cake the best way ever to get your Vitamin C!
Orange Crush Poke Cake – Bold Orange Crush flavor in this easy cake that’s super moist and light! The kid in all of us will love this orange tie-dyed cake!
The Best Glazed Orange Sweet Rolls – The softest, lightest, and most irresistible rolls ever! Try them and you’ll be a believer, too!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.