Quinoa, Cherry, and Goat Cheese Salad
This post may contain affiliate links.
Quinoa, Cherry, and Goat Cheese Salad – Healthy, EASY, and loaded with juicy cherries, tangy goat cheese, snap peas, mint, and more!! The PERFECT light yet satisfying salad with so many great flavors!!
I absolutely love fresh cherries and because they have such a short season I find myself wanting to eat them any way I can.
Including savoring them a light, refreshing salad that’s easy, healthy, ready in 30 minutes, and packed with texture and flavors galore.
Tender yet chewy quinoa is mixed with lightly caramelized sweet yellow onions and fresh green onions to boost the savory flavor while the juicy cherries and crisp sugar snap peas add sweeter notes. I love salty-and-sweet desserts so why not do the same with my salads.
Apple cider vinegar and lemon juice really brighten up the dish up and perfectly complement the various veggies and cherries while goat cheese adds a tangy loveliness.
I used a honey chèvre that was perfect but your favorite goat (or feta, gorgonzola, or sharp cheddar) will all work. If you want the goat cheese to stay more intact rather than melting into the quinoa (delicious but not as visually striking), wait for the quinoa to cool before adding the cheese.
I finished the salad with mint and it adds the perfect summery fresh touch. Or if basil is exploding in your garden, it also works well. If you want to make the salad but cannot find fresh cherries, go ahead and use red grapes or possible even frozen cherries instead.
The salad is great right away but it’s a perfect make-ahead recipe because it can be served either warm or cold. It’s a great salad for lunch boxes, picnics, potlucks, and parties. It’s accidentally gluten-free and vegetarian or vegan (omit the cheese).
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- one large sweet Vidalia or yellow onion, peeled and diced small
- 1 cup quinoa (I used white but you can use tri-colored)
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more for seasoning fruit and vegetables in bowl
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more for seasoning fruit and vegetables in bowl
- about 4 green onions, trimmed and sliced into thin rounds (use green and white parts)
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups fresh cherries, pitted and halved (red grapes may be substituted)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar snap peas, halved if desired
- 4 ounces crumbled goat cheese (I used honey chèvre
- 1/3 cup fresh mint leaves (stems discarded), finely chopped (basil may be substituted)
- optional 1 tablespoon each of apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, honey
- To a large skillet or saucepan, add the olive oil, sweet Vidalia onions, and cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until onions have softened and just begin to lightly caramelize, about 7 minutes.
- Add the quinoa and stir it into the onions and let it toast for about 30 seconds.
- Add the water, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, stir to combine, reduce the heat to low, cover pan, and cook for about 12 to 15 minutes, or until all liquid has been absorbed. While quinoa cooks, chop the remaining ingredients.
- To a very large bowl, add the green onions, cherries, snap peas, cheese, season with salt and pepper to taste (I used about 1/2 teaspoon of each), and stir to combine.
- Add the quinoa (allow quinoa to cool first if you want the cheese to stay intact and not melt as much) and stir to combine. Taste and check for seasoning balance, adding salt, pepper, and optional apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, and honey to taste (I found the dish needed the final three ‘optional’ ingredients for depth of flavor but preferences vary). Dish can be served warm and immediately or stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Adapted from Garden Fresh Quinoa Salad
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 403Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 13mgSodium: 882mgCarbohydrates: 59gFiber: 10gSugar: 33gProtein: 13g
Garden Fresh Quinoa Salad – Loaded with everything fresh, light, healthy, and summery! Great for parties, potlucks, and lunch boxes because there’s no mayo! Make this easy and flavorful dish before summer disappears!
Lemon, Sun-Dried Tomato, and Almond Quinoa Salad – Fast, easy, and fresh! Bright flavors and loads of texture! This clean-eating salad keeps you full and satisfied! Healthy never tasted so good! No mayo and great for outdoor events or lunch boxes!
Tomato, Mozzarella, and Basil Quinoa Salad (GF) – Trying to keep meals healthier and lighter? Make this easy, refreshing and satisfying salad!
Tabbouleh – Never had it? Think couscous or quinoa mixed with vegetables, herbs, lemon and olive oil! Easy, no cooking required, healthy, and packed with so much flavor! Great for outdoor events because there’s no mayo!
Sweet and Sour Zucchini Corn Salad – Packed with big, bold flavors and tons of crunch! Healthy, light and not just another salad!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.