Slow Cooker Banana Bread Cake with Brown Sugar Sauce
This post may contain affiliate links.
Slow Cooker Banana Bread Cake with Brown Sugar Sauce — Soft, tender CrockPot banana bread with a caramely, brown sugar sauce that develops while the bread cooks!! If you’ve never made a slow cooker dessert, start with this easy recipe!!
CrockPot Banana Bread Recipe
I’ve never made a slow cooker dessert until now, and it certainly won’t be the last. But I’m trying to think of this as banana bread with a sauce rather than as a banana dessert or cake.
It sounds healthier so you don’t feel too badly when you’re eating it by the warm spoonful straight from the slow cooker with tons of sweet, juicy sauce in every bite like I did. This CrockPot banana bread is soft, tender, full of rich banana flavor, and the sauce that forms while the bread bakes is pure caramely heaven.
The sauce also helps keep the banana bread with brown sugar extra moist because there’s nothing worse than dry bread or cake and in a slow cooker things can dry out if you’re not careful, but no worries about dryness here.
I adore banana bread and am no stranger to it with 40+ different original banana bread recipes, and it’s hard to pick a favorite, but this one ranks right up there. The next time you have ripe bananas, this is a must-make!
What’s in CrockPot Banana Bread?
To make this CrockPot banana dessert recipe, you’ll need:
- Canola oil
- Light brown sugar
- Granulated sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Ripe bananas
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder and baking soda
- Boiling water
How to Make CrockPot Banana Bread
To make the banana bread batter, simply whisk together the wet ingredients before adding in the dry. Turn the batter into your CrockPot, then make the caramel sauce.
To the same bowl you mixed the banana bread batter in, stir together additional brown sugar and boiling water. Carefully pour this mixture over the batter in the slow cooker.
Cover and cook on high for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until the edges have set and are light golden brown and a toothpick inserted into center of bread comes out clean
Can I Make This in an Oven?
I don’t think so! If you made it in the oven, you’d need multiple loaf pans since slow cookers are quite large. If you’re craving baked banana bread, check out one of my (many) Banana Bread Recipes.
Can I Add Chopped Nuts to the Batter?
Probably, but since this is CrockPot banana bread I’m not sure how cooking the nuts in the slow cooker would affect their texture. If you try this out and enjoy the result, leave me a comment down below!
Tips for Making CrockPot Banana Bread
Note that you MUST use a 6-quart slow cooker (or larger), otherwise this CrockPot dessert may overflow while it cooks.
Also, I highly recommend using a slow cooker liner when making this CrockPot banana bread. Liners make cleanup a breeze and ensures the bread doesn’t stick to the slow cooker insert.
Lastly, after you’ve poured the caramel sauce mixture over the banana bread batter do NOT stir it in! You want the sugar-water mixture to pool around the batter — this will create the caramel sauce as the CrockPot banana bread cooks.
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3 large bananas)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, optional and to taste (I’ve made it with and without, both versions are good depending on preference)
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- Line a 6-quart slow cooker with a liner if using one. I prefer to use liners for easy cleanup and storage, see step 7. Spray liner or base and sides of slow cooker with cooking spray; set aside. Do not use a smaller slow cooker because the bread rises quite dramatically and it will overflow.
- To a large bowl, add the eggs, oil, sugars, vanilla, and whisk to combine.
- Add the bananas and stir to combine.
- Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, optional cinnamon, and stir to combine. Turn batter out into prepared slow cooker and spread it into a smooth, even, flat layer; set aside.
- To a large bowl (the same one you already used is fine, just wipe it clean with a paper towel), add the brown sugar, boiling water, and whisk to combine.
- Carefully pour the hot sugar-water mixture over the batter in slow cooker. Do not stir. This mixture turns into the sauce while the bread bakes; do not stir.
- Cover and cook on high for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until the edges have set and are light golden brown and a toothpick inserted into center of bread comes out clean. Start checking at just over one hour to ensure you don’t overbake. My bread was done in 95 minutes. All slow cookers vary so cook until bread is done. I have not tested the recipe using the low heat setting and can’t speak to baking time or results.
- Remove the top portion of the slow cooker (the ceramic bowl the cake is cooking in) from the base (heating element) to allow bread to cool momentarily before serving.
- Bread is best warm and fresh but will keep in an airtight container for up to 5 days at room temp, noting the sauce absorbs into the bread by the second day.
- Storage is much easier if you use a liner because you can lift the entire liner out, bread and all, and place in an airtight container.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 398Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 47mgSodium: 233mgCarbohydrates: 61gFiber: 2gSugar: 33gProtein: 5g
More Homemade Banana Bread Recipes:
Cream Cheese-Filled Banana Bread – Banana bread that’s like having cheesecake baked in! Soft, fluffy, easy and tastes ahhhh-mazing!
Flour’s Famous Banana Bread – Made with Flour Bakery’s famous recipe to see if it lives up to the hype. Verdict? Make it!
Browned Butter Buttermilk Banana Bread with Strawberry Butter – The browned butter and buttermilk add richness, softness, and moisture, and the strawberry butter makes it that much better!
Pineapple Coconut Oil Banana Bread – Buttermilk, bananas and coconut oil keep this bread super moist, tender and it tastes like a tropical vacation!
Brown Sugar Blueberry Banana Bread with Blueberry Butter – Blueberry coffee cake meets super soft banana bread!
Six-Banana Banana Bread – Six bananas in one loaf of bread means an extremely soft, moist, and richly flavored bread!
Zucchini Banana Bread — Soft, super moist, easy, no mixer needed! Jazz up regular banana bread by adding zucchini and it’s healthier, too! (Great recipe to save for when your garden is over-flowing with zucchini!)
The Best Strawberry Banana Bread – Super soft, moist bread with tons of juicy strawberries! Easy, no-mixer recipe, and the best use for ripe bananas!
Peach Mango Coconut Oil Banana Bread – The coconut oil pairs so perfectly with the peaches and mangoes!
Peanut Butter Apple Banana Bread — Jazz up regular banana bread with peanut butter and apples! A perfect combo that tastes amazing together!! Fast, easy, no mixer required, and a hit with everyone!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.