The Best Pumpkin Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting — A marriage of pumpkin cake and carrot cake into one soft, moist, tender, and amazing cake!! The tangy cream cheese frosting is truly the icing on this easy cake!!
Moist Pumpkin Carrot Cake Recipe
It’s one of the best cakes I’ve ever made. So, so good and if you’re a fan of either pumpkin or carrot cake, this is the cake to make. It’s a fast, easy, one-bowl, no mixer cake recipe. I used oil rather than butter, which keeps the cake extra moist and since both pumpkin and carrots make everything moister, there’s no chance of a dry cake here.
The cake is so moist, perfectly dense, and robustly flavored. There’s some texture from the carrots and from raisins.
The thick layer of tangy cream cheese frosting is where it’s at. It complements the warming spices in the cake perfectly. My daughter adored this cake as much as I did and said she wants it as her birthday cake.
What’s in This Cake?
To make this ultra moist carrot cake recipe, you’ll need:
- Pumpkin puree
- Granulated sugar, light brown sugar, and confectioners’ sugar
- Spices (pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, cloves)
- Vanilla extract
- Grated carrots
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder and baking soda
- Cream cheese
- Unsalted butter
How to Make Pumpkin Carrot Cake
Whisk together the wet ingredients, then mix in the dry. Fold in the raisins last. Turn the batter into a 9-inch springform pan, then bake until done.
Let the cake cool completely before frosting. The carrot cake frosting is super easy to make — simply beat together the ingredients until fluffy.
Do I Have to Use a Springform Pan?
Yes! Don’t use a regular 9-inch round cake pan because it’s not deep enough and the cake will overflow.
How to Store Carrot Cake
This pumpkin carrot cake from scratch will keep airtight at room temperature for up to 4 days or in the fridge for up to 1 week. I’m comfortable storing cream cheese frosting at room temperature, but if you’re not store in the fridge noting cake will be more prone to drying out in the fridge.
Tips for Making Pumpkin Carrot Cake
I love raisins in carrot cake but not everyone does. You can omit them, use nuts instead, or use neither.
Make sure to grate your own carrots. The pre-packaged convenience bags of carrots have an odd texture that doesn’t do well in baking. It just takes a minute using a box grater to grate your own.
I used a full tablespoon of pumpkin pie spice to amp up the flavor. You can reduce it if you like but there’s nothing worse than bland pumpkin or carrot cake.
Pin This Recipe
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup pumpkin puree (use the remainder in these recipes
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup grated carrots, loosely packed (grate yourself using the coarsest blade of a box grater; don’t use pre-packaged convenience bags of carrots)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 cup raisins, optional (or 1 cup chopped nuts, or 1/2 cup raisins and 1/2 cup chopped nuts)
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened (lite okay)
- 1/4 cup (half of 1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray a 9-inch springform pan with floured cooking spray or grease and flour the pan; set aside. Don’t use a regular 9-inch round cake pan because it’s not deep enough and the cake will overflow.
- To a large bowl, add the eggs, pumpkin, sugars, oil, pumpkin pie spice, vanilla, cinnamon, cloves, and whisk to combine.
- Add the carrots and stir to combine.
- Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and stir until just combined, don’t overmix.
- Optionally add the raisins and/or nuts and stir to combine. Turn batter out into prepared pan, smoothing the top lightly with a spatula. Bake for about 45 minutes or until center is set and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs, no batter. In the last 10 minutes, loosely drape a sheet of foil over the top of the springform pan to prevent the top from becoming overly browned.
- To a large bowl (or to the bowl of a stand mixer using the paddle attachment) add the cream cheese, butter, and beat with an electric mixer on high-speedy until fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add the confectioners’ sugar, vanilla, salt, and beat until smooth and incorporated, about 2 minutes.
- Turn frosting out onto cake and spread into a smooth, even, flat layer using a spatula or knife. Unlatch springform pan, slice, and serve.
Baking Tip: Place springform pan on a baking sheet while cake bakes as ‘insurance’ against pesky leaky springform pans. Although this is a thick batter and not prone to leaking, better safe than sorry. Allow cake to cool completely in pan on a wire rack before frosting it so the frosting doesn’t melt.
Storage: Cake will keep airtight at room temp for up to 4 days or in the fridge for up to 1 week. I’m comfortable storing cream cheese frosting at room temp, but if you’re not store in the fridge noting cake will be more prone to drying out in the fridge.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 529Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 69mgSodium: 508mgCarbohydrates: 78gFiber: 3gSugar: 59gProtein: 6g
More Easy Pumpkin Recipes:
Cooking With Pumpkin: Recipes That Go Beyond the Pie is my second cookbook and was released October, 2014.. There’s over 50 pumpkin recipes including sweets, savory, drinks, and a photo for nearly every recipe. I’d be super grateful if you headed over to Amazon.
Easy Pumpkin Spice Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting — Soft, moist, and bursting with pumpkin flavor! You’ll want the frosting by the spoonful!
Soft Vegan Pumpkin Cake with Pumpkin Spice Buttercream Frosting – Fast, easy cake you’ll never guess is vegan!
Fudgy Pumpkin Bars with Vanilla Bean Browned Butter Glaze – Bars so soft they’re like biting into pumpkin fudge! The glaze is ahh-mazing!
Cream Cheese-Filled Pumpkin Bread – Pumpkin bread that’s like having cheesecake baked in! Soft, fluffy, easy and tastes ahhhh-mazing!
Soft Vegan Pumpkin Bread with Brown Sugar Streusel Crust – You won’t miss the eggs or the butter in this fast and easy bread with a great streusel crust!
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread — Super soft, moist, rich pumpkin flavor, and loaded with chocolate chips! Easy, no mixer recipe that’s the best!
Pumpkin Banana Bread with Browned Butter Cream Cheese Frosting – This quickbread pairs two of my favorites, pumpkin bread and banana bread, into one and it’s topped with frosting that I could eat by the spoonful!
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake with Chocolate Ganache – One of my favorite cakes of ALL TIME! A must-make!
Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes with Marshmallow Buttercream Frosting – Small batch recipe of just 6 cupcakes when you have just a little leftover pumpkin puree to use!