This post may contain affiliate links.
Here are this week’s Thursday Things:
1. Free Coffee-Mate on Friday. I love Coffee-Mate, so this makes me very happy.
It also makes me very happy to see Peppermint Mocha featured in the promo ad.
I love that flavor and it’s now a year-round offering.
2. Friend, actress, and blogger Lynn from The Actor’s Diet is raising money for her next film The Man’s Guide to Love. The movie is about the power of social media and Lynn is asking for help from anyone who’s interested in donating to her project. Hey, it never hurts to ask, right?
3. My Mac was running really slow, Firefox was freezing, internet pages were loading terribly slowly and after checking my router, and doing my own little series of diagnostics and trial and error rule-outs about what I thought may be the problem, I found this info about repairing permissions:
To repair permissions, open the Disk Utility program found in the Applications>Utility folder on your hard drive root level directory. At the top of the Disk Utility window is a row of tabs. Click on the First Aid tab…
It took about 15 minutes, a few items were found that needed repairing, it repaired itself, and doing it has definitely helped speed things up and make my computer feel more stable and less freeze-prone.
4. Other things you can do to speed up performance include:
removing widgets from your dashboard you rarely use
removing programs from your dock you rarely use
unplugging backup drives to help speed up your computer’s performance
They all use up precious resources which translates into lost speed. I’d rather not wait one extra nanosecond for a web page to open so in addition to the Repair Permissions trick, I removed widgets, programs that I never even use or open from my dashboard, and unplugged devices I don’t need. It all has seemed to help.
5. Win a Trip to Morocco. I’ve always wanted to go. If you win, please take me with.
6. Acacia wood slabs do double duty as serving pieces or cutting boards (although I wouldn’t cut on them) and they can be monogrammed.
7. The winners of the Baking Supplies Giveaway are:
8. I have so many empty coffee cans laying around. (Coffee reviews post is here highlighting 25 coffee varieties, give or take)
I have no idea what to do with them. Throwing them out just seems wrong.
My grandma saved everything from cookies to gold rings in coffee cans in her deep freeze so the thought of actually throwing them out isn’t one that enters my mind.
9. This woman holds yarn in hers. Gorgeous!
I wish I knitted. I just drink coffee.
10. I wish I was eating one of these right now instead of typing. Probably my favorite dessert of 2012.
What are your Thursday Things?
Anything new, noteworthy, or fun you’ve seen, made, done, or just want to share?
Link it up in the comments
If anyone has a creative use for old cans or glass jars, please let me know.
I also have an abundance of glass jars in various sizes. When I I buy condiments, from mayo to chutney to jelly and it comes in a glass jar, I save it.
The thought of throwing glass away is not how I was raised. You just don’t do that because you never know when you may “need” it. But, between the coffee cans and the glass jars, my already limited kitchen storage is being overtaken by saving them for when I may “need” them.
I will recycle them or donate them to a school maybe? No idea. Do other people actually throw away aluminum/tin cans or glass? My grandma would be in tears if she heard that.
Have a great almost Friday!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.