Zucchini Banana Bread — This zucchini banana bread is so soft, tender, uber-moist, dense enough to be satisfying, but still light! It’s just sweet enough to taste like a dessert and not like you’re eating vegetables. It really is the BEST zucchini bread recipe!!
Zucchini Banana Bread Mash-Up
And I have lots of zucchini-banana recipes. But you can never have too many and I just adored this bread.
This zucchini banana bread a spin-off of my Carrot Zucchini Bread, adapted from Carrot Apple Bread, which is adapted from my favorite banana bread recipe. It’s a very adaptable quick bread base and never lets me down.
This easy zucchini bread requires no mixer and goes from bowl to oven in minutes. I used liquid-state coconut oil so there’s no butter to cream and no mixer to dirty. Oil keeps bread softer and springier than butter, and I prefer it. I love baking with coconut oil for muffins, cakes, bread, cookies and more.
Baking with zucchini and bananas adds so much moisture that it’s impossible to have a dry loaf. I grate the zucchini by hand using the coarsest blade on a box grater. It only takes a few minutes and I’d spend much more time washing food processor parts than doing it the old-fashioned way.
What’s in Zucchini Banana Bread?
To make this zucchini banana bread recipe, you’ll need:
- Light brown sugar
- Coconut oil
- Granulated sugar
- Sour cream
- Vanilla extract
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Grated zucchini
- Mashed bananas
How to Make Zucchini Banana Bread
Mix the sugars and wet ingredients together, then stir in the dry ingredients. Gently fold in the grated zucchini and mashed bananas, then turn the batter into a greased 9×5-inch loaf pan.
Bake the zucchini banana bread until the top is golden, the center is set, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, or with a few moist crumbs, but no batter.
Allow bread to cool in pan for about 15 minutes before turning out on a wire rack to cool completely before slicing and serving.
Can I Add Mix-Ins?
Yes, you’re welcome to add up to 1/2 cup of chopped walnuts, raisins, craisins, etc.
Tips for Making Zucchini Banana Bread
Coconut oil adds a nearly imperceptible undertone that’s sweeter and more fragrant than canola or vegetable oil, but substitute as desired.
Note that the batter should be on the thicker side. If it’s not, you may wish to add up to about 1/4 cup additional flour. All zucchini and bananas vary in their moisture content and the consistency of batters will vary.
Note that the zucchini will release water into batter during baking and it’s better to err on the side of a thicker than thinner batter by adding additional flour if you deem it necessary.
Pin This Recipe
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/3 cup liquid-state coconut oil (canola or vegetable may be substituted)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cup sour cream (lite is okay; or Greek yogurt may be substituted)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, plus additional if necessary (see step 4 in directions)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch salt, optional and to taste
- 1 cup grated zucchini, laid loosely in cup and not packed (about 1 medium/large trimmed zucchini; note – wring out zucchini in a paper towel if it seems very moist)
- 3/4 to 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2 medium/large bananas)
- 1/2 cup walnuts, raisins, etc., optional
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray one 9×5-inch loaf pan with floured cooking spray, or grease and flour the pan; set aside. Note – Loaf is not very tall as baked in a 9×5 pan, but I fear an 8×4 pan will be a bit too skimpy.
- In a large bowl, add the the first six ingredients, through vanilla, and whisk to combine.
- Add 1 cup flour, baking powder, baking soda, optional salt, and fold with spatula or stir gently with a spoon until just combined; don’t overmix.
- Add the zucchini (wring out in a paper towel if it’s very moist), bananas, optional walnuts or raisins, and fold gently to combine. Batter should be on the thicker side. If it’s not, you may wish to add up to about 1/4 cup additional flour. All zucchini and bananas vary in their moisture content and the consistency of batters will vary. Note the zucchini will release water into batter during baking and it’s better to err on the side of a thicker than thinner batter by adding additional flour if you deem it necessary.
- Turn batter out into the prepared pan , smoothing the top lightly with a spatula.
- Bake for about 52 to 60 minutes (I baked 57 minutes) or until the top is golden, the center is set, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, or with a few moist crumbs, but no batter.
- Allow bread to cool in pan for about 15 minutes before turning out on a wire rack to cool completely before slicing and serving.
- Bread will keep airtight at room temperature for up to 1 week, or in the freezer for up to 6 months.
- Tip – Tent the pan with a sheet of foil draped loosely over it at the 35 minute-mark to prevent top and sides from becoming overly browned before center cooks through. Baking times will vary based on moisture content of zucchini, bananas, climate, and oven variances. Bake until done; watch your bread, not the clock and don’t worry if it takes longer to bake than the baking estimates provided.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 280Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 24mgSodium: 126mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 2gSugar: 22gProtein: 4g
More Zucchini Recipes:
My Entire Zucchini Recipe Collection — From sweet to savory, sides to main dishes, this collection of amazing zucchini recipes has you covered!
Easy Zucchini Bread Recipe — Super moist, tender, loaded with chocolate chips, and so EASY to make!! One bowl, no mixer, and THE BEST zucchini bread you’ll ever try!!
Banana Zucchini Chocolate Chip Muffins (vegan) – You’ll never complain about eating your vegetables again! Soft, healthy, so good!
Carrot Zucchini Bread — Fast, easy, one bowl, no mixer!! Super soft, moist, and tastes so good you’ll forget it’s on the healthier side!
Blueberry Banana Zucchini Bread — Banana bread just got BETTER with juicy BLUEBERRIES in every bite!! The zucchini (you can’t taste it) keeps it moist and HEALTHY! Easy and DELICIOUS!!
Triple Chocolate Zucchini Muffins — NO dairy or butter and only 1/4 cup oil in the entire batch!! Promise you CANNOT taste the zucchini but it keeps the muffins so soft and moist! Love sneaking in extra veggies with lots of CHOCOLATE!!
Blueberry Zucchini Bread — Juicy BLUEBERRIES in every bite of this soft, easy, no mixer bread!! If you have picky eaters who don’t like zucchini, don’t worry because you can’t taste it! It keeps the bread tender and HEALTHIER!!
Originally posted June 20, 2018 and reposted August 4, 2021 with updated text.