Special K Bars

This recipe takes me back to my childhood.  But it almost didn’t happen.

It’s from my grandma and she never measured anything, never wrote anything down, and many of her recipes died with her.
Thankfully, my mom had it because she also used to make these for me when I was growing up.
These bars are rich, sweet, peanut buttery, caramely, and just plain amazing.
You’re going to thank my Grandma for these.

Grandma D’s Special K Bars

1/2 c Butter (or margarine), i.e. 1 stick
1 c Karo Syrup
1 c Brown Sugar
Pinch Salt
Bring to a boil and boil for 3 Minutes

Then add 1/2 c Peanut Butter
1 Tsp Vanilla Extract & Stir

In a large bowl, pour this mixture over 6 c of Special K cereal (5 c if you want the bars more gooey) & stir

Pour cereal mixture into a sprayed 9 x 13 pan and press mixture down well.  Freeze or refrigerate if the house is warm and you need these to set up fast, otherwise the counter top is fine.

Optional:  Frosting
I like my Vegan Chocolate Frosting
Or you can use my Chocolate Peanut Butter Coconut Oil Frosting
Or use store bought or omit frosting.

Pictures of the process

Boil for 3 minutes.  Do not walk away.  You can have a hot mess everywhere, fast.
Add PB
Add Vanilla Extract.  Try not to drink this mixture.  It’s insanely good smelling.  And phenomenal tasting.
Pour Mixture over Special K & Stir to Combine
Press into pan

Now Make Frosting!
Vegan Chocolate Frosting
Or try Chocolate Peanut Butter Coconut Oil Frosting

I made Vegan Chocolate Frosting

Adding butter (margarine) + powdered sugar after the chocolate is melted makes the best frosting I think.
I popped the pan (above) into the freezer and waited.  As patiently as I could.

After taking it out of the freezer and scoring it, here was what I had been waiting my adult lifetime for

The gooey, caramel-ey factor is in full force.
Those are strings of sugar.  The happy work of Karo Syrup + Brown Sugar
And the underside is pure heaven.  Peanut Butter + Brown Sugar + Karo Syrup + Vanilla
And the top side is Chocolate.  The best of both worlds!

Please let me know if you make these.  My Grandma would be thrilled.  She would literally say the Rosary if she only knew that I am sharing this recipe of hers.

From my last post, thanks for filling me in on if you like Posts that have Tips included.  Most everyone said yes please.  Like my French Press Coffee tips to Free Book Tips from this morning.

And thanks for filling me in on things you’d like me to write about in the future.  It’s nice to know what you find interesting and want to see more of.

Speaking of Tips: My Case of Coconut Water Give Away for 3 Winners!

Click Here to Enter Now!

Similar Desserts to today’s recipe that you may enjoy…
1. Vegan Gluten Free Rice Krispie Treats with Vegan Chocolate Frosting

Vegan Gluten Free Rice Krispie Treats with Vegan Chocolate Frosting
2. GF Vegan “Rice Krispie” Treats with Chocolate Peanut Butter Coconut Oil Frosting

3. GF Peanut Butter Marshmallow Bars with Vegan Chocolate Frosting

GF Peanut Butter Marshmallow Bars with Vegan Chocolate Frosting

Questions
1. Do you have recipes from your childhood that you remember fondly?
I definitely have lots of them.

From my mom’s Broccoli Salad (yes, I loved broccoli as a kid and still do.  Raw Broccoli Salad & Broccoli Slaw Dressing is a staple for me) to my Grandma’s Chocolate Chip Cookies (no one makes them like Grandma!) to all the holiday recipes and baking I used to help my mom and grandma with in the kitchen.  It all makes me smile so much when I think back!

2. Do you have grandmas, aunts, your mother, or people in your family who cook without recipes or who don’t write things down?
I admit I usually don’t follow recipes.  Heck, I hardly make the same thing twice, even within my own arsenal of recipes.  And sometimes don’t even follow my own recipe if I make something a second time.  I am the queen of winging it.

The pitfall of course is that everything is stored upstairs.  Gray matter.  Nothing is written down on paper.

But that’s the beauty of my blog.  Everything is written here.

One of my goals is to have my blog turned into a book(s), just for myself and Skylar.   (google “Blog into Book” and tons of sites do this)

I want Skylar to have all these pictures of herself in book form.  And it will be fun when I’m 80 to look back and see what I was cooking when I was in my 30s.  The only way to ensure that is to have my blog bound into a book.

But I encourage you to urge, beg, and plead those elderly aunts, grandmas, and relatives who cook without writing things down, go sit with them and take notes as they dictate recipes.  I wish to God I had.

3. Are there things that no one else but a certain relative makes that no matter how many times you try, it’s just not the same as theirs?
My Grandma’s Chocolate Chip Cookies.  No one can get them like hers.

As well as her homemade bread, cinnamon rolls, and all her Polish and Russian Soul Food.  No one whips up pierogies and Russian Tea Cakes like Grandma could.

See you tomorrow!

35 Responses to “Special K Bars”

Alisa Fleming — January 26, 2011 at 3:18 am

Yah for Special K Bars! Thanks for giving me the link to this Averie!

Carine — February 3, 2011 at 7:25 am

I can’t believe how Vegan foods can be so delicious and so good! You make me want to be one!!

Carin — February 3, 2011 at 7:53 am

My roommate makes a version of these, only with honey-nut cheerios. SO GOOD.

Amanda — October 24, 2011 at 1:15 am

I can’t wait to make these, thanks for sharing!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — October 24th, 2011 at 1:17 am

They are one of my fave desserts ever. So easy and my childhood in a pan. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do :)

• Amanda replied: — October 24th, 2011 at 1:17 am

Oh and NOBODY can make my grandmas chicken soup, perogies or galumpki (cabbage rolls).

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — October 24th, 2011 at 1:20 am

My grandma made perogies too! And cabbage…anything :)

I just updated the recipe, too, so it has a Print This feature on it now, too.

Stacy — October 30, 2011 at 1:01 pm

My grandmother made Special K cookies when I was growing up. I LOVE these cookies & every time I make them, I think of her. She is 99 years old, so does not do much baking anymore. I am excited to try this recipe.

Stacy — October 31, 2011 at 7:26 am

I could not wait and made them yesterday. The pictures are on my blog: http://www.stacysfoodlove.blogspot.com.

Sabrina — February 18, 2012 at 7:30 pm

Hi AVery, what is Karl syrup? I’ve never heard of it, is it similar to brown rice or agave syrup? Is there a substitute you can use in place of this syrup? I would like to try making these bars.

Thanks!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — February 18th, 2012 at 8:34 pm

Karo not Karl. It’s the brand of syrup. It’s light-colored corn syrup. You could use any brand of corn syrup. I wouldn’t use agave for these. Brown rice…possibly. But the recipe is about 75 years old (from my Grandma) and that’s what she always used so that’s how I wrote it. Enjoy the bars!

emily W. — September 28, 2013 at 4:26 pm

Dangerous. Glad I made them for some new neighbors. Good golly. I think these are a definite improvement on one of my husband’s top 5 goodies, known as peanut butter cornflake balls, which are made with white sugar and rolled into balls. I like these mucho bettero. Thank you!!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — September 28th, 2013 at 4:29 pm

So glad you loved these – I do too. They’re from my childhood, and will always love them.

peanut butter cornflake balls = I have something sort of like that that I put in my cookbook! But they’re bars, not balls. Dangerous.

And now you have to try these – possibly the best yet :)

Or same thing, but with marshmallows

• emily W. replied: — September 28th, 2013 at 6:57 pm

I liked the second one a lot, and for as much as he said he wasn’t a fan (Mr. Not-a-fan-of-change) he sure helped me and the girls devour them. The entire pan. That very night. Yeah. Apparently they were good or something?

I’m looking forward to trying the first one. It’s on my list to make next! I am really hoping to convince to let us get your cookbook!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — September 28th, 2013 at 7:30 pm

Well the book is only about $12 bucks so hopefully that’s not the issue! If you like these kind of recipes, you are going to LOVE the book. There’s tons of things like this in it! A whole chapter on no-bake bars, most of them cereal bars!

And that’s too funny about ‘not a huge fan’, but…eats the whole pan, that night. :) Ahhh, gotta love it. My hubs says the same thing about certain things I make. And then eats the whole thing! lol

Lindsay — February 28, 2014 at 12:21 pm

I made your Special K bars throughout my whole pregnancy last summer! They were all I wanted! I brought them on a family vacation, and they were a huge hit! I’m about to make them for some friends who just had a baby and anoyhernwhobisbhaving surgery and you can bet that I will be saving some for myself! :)

Thanks to you and your grandma for sharing your recipe!!!

Lindsay — February 28, 2014 at 12:22 pm

*and another who is having surgery

Avra-Sha Faohla — July 13, 2014 at 8:37 pm

My mother makes a similar thing (which is actually her mother’s recipe, too!): 2 cups each Karo, peanut butter, and sugar melted together and then stirred with a box of Rice Krispies, pressed into two 9×13 pans, and finished with melted chocolate chips spread across the top. So simple, so delicious!

So yours is basically a less peanut buttery version of the bars my mother makes. I made your version just now, and it was great! I admit I still prefer my mother’s with the stronger pb flavor, but my goodness, this version’s caramelish pb mixture you have before adding to the cereal? Amazing. After finishing the bars, I went and used my finger to scoop out some from the bottom of the pot, and it is delicious and has the most beautiful consistency, a sort of soft malleable caramel. I don’t know if the sugars actually caramelized during the three minutes of boiling (I’ve made caramel on the stovetop and it takes longer than that), but that’s what it seemed like! :D Yum.