Microwave Blueberry Banana Oat Cakes

This recipe is a spinoff of my Biggie Microwave Banana Oat Cakes

And my Microwave Banana Oat Cakes recipe

But with blueberries.

Mmmm, I love blueberries!

[print_this]

Microwave Blueberry Banana Oat Cakes

Ingredients:

1 ripe medium or large banana, mashed

1/2 c dry oats (or a little more if you have an especially big banana)

1/4 c brown sugar (reduce as desired, or omit entirely, or replace with stevia)

1 Tsp Cinnamon (more if you love it)

1/4 c blueberries (frozen or fresh)

Optional: Dash of Vanilla Extract, 1 Tbsp of Chia Seeds, 1 Tbsp of Coconut Flakes, 2 Tbsp of Cocoa Powder for a chocolate banana cake

Directions:

Mash the banana

Add everything else except the blueberries and stir to combine.

Then, gently fold in the blueberries.

Spray a clean bowl with cooking spray and put the batter in it

Microwave for 3.5 to 4.5 minutes.  You will know when it’s done because it will not be “juicy” looking anymore and it may have some “holes” on the surface.

After mircowaving, allow to rest for a couple minutes.  Eat in that bowl or easily invert/remove from bowl and re-plate it, or take as a to-go snack.

Top with more blueberries, syrup, jelly, agave, nut butter, raisins, nuts, seeds, dried fruit, or nothing.

[/print_this]

Here’s a visual guide

Mash banana, add everything else, stir.  Then add blueberries and fold in.

Clearly I used frozen blueberries

Before mircowaving

After microwaving and resting

Ready to eat!

This is a fast breakfast or portable snack-cake.  Wrap it up and take it with you if you’re in a hurry.

Just be careful of all that blueberry juice staining your hands if you don’t use a fork.  There are worse problems to have, though.

You could top this with syrup.  Or blueberry syrup. How good would that be!

Or just eat plain like I did.

Except Skylar took the bigger half and devoured most of it in record time.  Blueberry stained fingers and all!

From my last post on Fun & Productive, it was good to hear what you’ve done this weekend that’s been fun.  Or productive.  Or both.

Another take on blueberries + oats are these Muffins: Blueberry Streusel Muffins (Vegan and GF).

Baking rather than microwaving.

One bowl and a spoon, no mixer required.  Nothing fancy or complicated about this recipe.

Someone always comment that they either don’t have a microwave or hate it.  So you can use the oven for these.

1. Best thing you’ve ate or done over the weekend?

Spending time with Scott and Skylar and splitting a blueberry banana oat cake.

2. Any Valentine’s Day plans?

Nope.

3. Do you like blueberries?

I love blueberries!  They are so expensive to buy out of season (and really, how long is blueberry “season”) but Trader Joe’s has decent prices on fresh year round.  Of course, all stores have frozen berries year round.

4. Fresh or Frozen?  What do you use and when?

I never use fresh berries or fresh fruit in recipes unless it’s over-ripe or needs to be used up.

I bake, cook, or blend (smoothies) with frozen produce.

I save the fresh for eating!

Happy Valentine’s Day everyone!

120 Responses to “Microwave Blueberry Banana Oat Cakes”

Emmitt @ Review of Panic Away — February 15, 2011 at 7:09 pm

Whoa, these look incredible. I’ll have to get up a little early tomorrow and give them a try. I just bought my first pint of fresh blueberries so now I know how to use them.

strawberry blonde hair with red highlights — February 17, 2011 at 11:48 pm

The Internet is like alcohol in some sense. It accentuates what you would do anyway. If you want to be a loner, you can be more alone. If you want to connect, it makes it easier to connect.

Lori — January 28, 2012 at 7:10 pm

I made this for breakfast this morning and was so impressed with the results. It was such a nice change of pace from your regular bowl of oatmeal. Another plus is that it smelled up the kitchen so nice! Thank you, Averie :)

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — January 28th, 2012 at 9:11 pm

Glad you enjoyed it and yes, the good fumes in the house are a pleasant side effect :)

The Lone marmot — February 17, 2012 at 5:33 am

Thank you for this idea.

I’m off to the microwave now to try it! :-)

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — February 17th, 2012 at 7:59 am

Enjoy and LMK how you liked it!

• The Lone Marmot replied: — February 17th, 2012 at 8:31 am

Well, err, having wolfed down the whole lot in the last couple of hours I can say they are excellent!

I like the idea of varying the amount of sugar to a teaspoon or so, since I don’t like things too sweet.

My oat cakes weren’t as brown as yours though, so maybe I needed a riper banana, or perhaps longer in the microwave?

I wonder if I could grill them a little for added crunch?

Thanks again! :-)

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — February 17th, 2012 at 9:00 am

so maybe I needed a riper banana, or perhaps longer in the microwave? <– perhaps either or both or brown sugar maybe.

I wonder if I could grill them a little for added crunch? <— probably. I don’t have a grill (or time!) for that with these but if you do have either, try it!

Erin — March 9, 2012 at 9:42 am

Eating this as I type! Quick and easy breakfast or yummy snack. Mine is a bit too sweet…used less than 1/4 cup brown sugar but will try less next time!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — March 9th, 2012 at 9:49 am

My blueberries were on the sour side I think :) Glad you like it!

ginger — April 11, 2012 at 8:53 am

TOTALLY making this for my daughter.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — April 11th, 2012 at 9:03 am

They’re so easy, too. I have a 5 year old and this is an easy one…sometimes I’ll make a huge one and save half for later on in the day or one for an after school snack and half for part of her breakfast the next morning with other things. LMK how it goes!

Kelly — April 19, 2012 at 8:10 pm

I just made one of these and it was INCREDIBLE!!! I used a packet of maple brown sugar oatmeal, the banana, added a little bit more brown sugar, lots of cinnamon, blackberries, and raisins. Oh. My. Goodness. So good! I can see how these would be great for on the go – they stick together so well! Yummm!!! Seriously, so delicious!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — April 19th, 2012 at 8:36 pm

So glad you loved it, Kelly. Thanks for the glowing report and write back and LMK if you make other variations!

Chandni — September 29, 2012 at 12:42 am

I wanted to replace the frozen blueberries with fresh pomegranate….wanted to check if this would spoil the recipe or make it sour? plus i wont be adding the sugar…so will it still be sweet?>

Appreciate your kind reply.

Thanks,

Chandni

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — September 29th, 2012 at 12:48 am

Taste the batter and see – if it’s sour, sweeten it to taste with something you like to use if you don’t use sugar.

Cassie — October 26, 2012 at 6:49 am

Hi! Do you use quick-cooking oats or old fashion oats for this?

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — October 26th, 2012 at 8:32 am

Old fashioned but quick cooking will work if that’s all you have; I prefer old-fashioned because it’s chewier. If using quick cooking, you may need to reduce cooking times, possibly – but haven’t tried it that way!

Sophie — February 25, 2013 at 7:29 am

I tried clicking through your Blueberry Streusel Muffins link, but it says that page cannot be found!

Teresa — March 5, 2013 at 11:16 am

I just stumbled upon your blog, and I must say I am an instant fan! Cannot wait to go home and try these! Every morning I take 1/2C oatmeal and 1C water in micro for 2 min, then I add chia seeds, 1/2C bluberries and one square of dark chocolate! Gets me strait through the morning!

Liz — July 24, 2013 at 8:30 am

Thank you. Nice and easy and healthy.

Martha — August 2, 2013 at 7:14 am

This looks so healthy and delicious! I’m adding it to a round up of Weight Watchers friendly blueberry recipes I’m posting on Sunday!

Christen — August 3, 2013 at 7:17 am

I made this recipe this morning and I love the blueberries and cinnamon oatmeal combination. I did use much less than a 1/4 cup of brown sugar though as I was worried about it being too sweet with the 2 fruits in it. Turned out delicious.

• Averie Sunshine replied: — August 3rd, 2013 at 3:00 pm

Glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for LMK you tried it!

Jessica — August 16, 2013 at 1:12 am

Made this for my breakfast this morning, was so good! Didn’t use any sugar but added a small drizzle of honey instead and was still deliciously sweet!