Fly Away & Happy Places

On Tuesday I called Scott in the middle of the day and said, “I’d like to get away.”

He said, “Really?  I can’t.”

I said, “Well, I’m buying.”

He said, “Great! Where are we going and when are we leaving?”

When I used to sell timeshare it was always interesting that no one could ever “find time to get away”, but if the trip was paid for, time away was never an issue.  Funny how that works.

So as simple as that, I did some quick research on flights and travel dates, spent a small fortune on airline tickets (it’s only money. I can always make more), and we’re going away!

We’re going back to my happy place.  Where peace and tranquility, beaches, sun, and R & R is plentiful.

And time with my daughter is in abundance.  That’s priceless.

I don’t blog about it, but I work insane hours and sleep 4 hours a night.  I am failing big time on Item #4.

I am supporting our family.  I work 7 days a week.  It’s time to take a break and recharge my batteries.

We’re leaving in a few weeks.  And we’ll be gone a few weeks.

I will be blogging the whole time.  I have a DSLR camera this time around.   I plan to go to the beach, read, take pictures, hang out with the fam, cook island food, workout on my island path, and of course, I will blog about it all.  Hopefully with nice pictures. Between my newfound passion for photography and spare time on my hands, I am excited to bring my new camera.

From my last post about Clean Teeth and Generosity.

Seems most of you take care of your choppers.  Good!  Keep it up!

As for generosity, I loved reading what you’ve witnessed recently that shows the generous side of human behavior and what random acts of kindness or generosity you’re seen or experienced recently.  Thanks for sharing!

Buying airline tickets at the spur of the moment calls for celebratory Sex on the BeachThe drink or the shot I mean.  The other?  Not a fan of the sand factor.

Washing it down with Cheezy Kale Chips (Raw or use your oven, Vegan) sounds about right.

And making a batch of “Cheater’s” Guacamole sounds perfect right now.

Something about warm weather and tropical locales + guac = a match made in heaven

1. What is your happy place?

My happy place is Aruba.  I love it there.  I’ve been going down there since 1997, bought a house there in 2003, and I feel a great sense of peace and calm when I am there.  There is just something about it that I love.  I can be inside, it can be raining, but it doesn’t matter, I am still happy.

And if I can’t travel 5000 miles, my other happy places are:

my yoga mat

Trader Joe’s

Marshall’s housewares section

a run outside in sunny weather

2. Do you have any trips planned?

Yes, this one and one other but the other way is a long ways off.

3. Favorite trip or vacation you’ve ever been on?  Why? Where did you go?

Aruba is always my fave but I have loved traveling to Grand Cayman, St. John, St. Thomas, Mexico, Austria, Costa Rica, and many other places.  Travel makes one grow.  I posted about this and my Travel Tips.

I can’t wait to take Skylar more places when she’s a bit older so she remembers them more.

Enjoy your day!

85 Responses to “Fly Away & Happy Places”

Heather (Where's the Beach) — April 7, 2011 at 1:33 pm

As I’m sure you already know, my happy place is a white sandy beach! Thankfully, that trip is booked for the end of May and we have a trip at the end of this month for Seattle. At this point, I’ll just take a day off from work period!

kate@ahealthypassion — April 7, 2011 at 1:34 pm

I am jealous you are going on a vaca so soon, I cannot wait for my vacation the end of may, so close but still so far away! ahh

Kelly Michelle — April 7, 2011 at 1:35 pm

wow I am so jealous, this sounds AMAZING!! I am a cpa so it is a very busy time for me but luckily I only have to handle myself and not a family, I cannot even imagine juggling both. I scheduled a vacation at the end of May that is much needed and I can’t wait. I am actually headed out your way… to LA and then SF, will see family and friends, plus 10 days off work. Cannot beat it. SO EXCITED.

Susan — April 7, 2011 at 1:36 pm

Good for you Averie! You work very hard and deserve a break.

Melissa — April 7, 2011 at 1:40 pm

I am a fairly new reader and am wondering if I could inquire what your job is? Although I understand and respect if you are wanting to keep that info private.

My happy place is anywhere with my best friend and her family. It is the one place in the world where I feel completely safe and loved.

Unfortunately I do not have any trips planned. :(

My favourite trip was when I went to Cuba last year. It was a last minute trip and I went completely by myself. It was my first solo trip an I felt like that is a huge milestone.

Lauren — April 7, 2011 at 1:40 pm

Good for you taking some R&R time! I’m unfortunately one of those people who just never finds the time to take a vacation…and I also can’t afford it until I graduate and can get a real job! But Aruba is SO on my list of places to go, it looks so beautiful.

Stefanie @TheNewHealthy — April 7, 2011 at 1:41 pm

My happy place is Hilton Head Island, SC. We’ve been going there every summer for the past 4 years and it’s so relaxing and amazing!

You definitely deserve a trip – and Aruba sounds fantastic!! :)

hippierunner — April 7, 2011 at 1:44 pm

That’s great that you can go do that; I bet it will be amazing to relax! My happy place is Mammoth, California. People know it for the skiing or snowboarding but my family has gone on summer vacation there every year and we love relaxing, spending time in the pool, hiking and by the lakes (fishing, but I’m not into that anymore). I just love the fresh air of the forest that is there and the way it’s so quiet!

Holly @ The Runny Egg — April 7, 2011 at 1:45 pm

Averie good for you!!!!

Favorite trip – either going out to SD to see Mount Rushmore with my family, going to DC with my family or our trip to Vegas last year since it was my first vacation with Jason! I love any time that we spend away from home together — so going up north to stay with friends sounds like a great time to me!

Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food — April 7, 2011 at 1:46 pm

Averie

its so great you’ll get a vacation together! :)
    we took a vacation sailing on a boat with my husbands family through the british virgin islands over christmas –sooo beautiful! :)

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — April 7, 2011 at 1:52 pm

Woo woo!!!! Fun, fun, fun!!! You deserve it, girl!

Felicia (a taste of health with balance) — April 7, 2011 at 1:56 pm

yayy!! so happy for you :) i have a few happy places, one being a lakehouse my parents own in the mountains upstate.. peaceful and beautiful. TJs is also my happy place! I have no trips planned yet.. but my favorite was when i lived in australia for 6 months and traveled through new zealand… it was glorious :)

Emily — April 7, 2011 at 1:58 pm

That’s so exciting! I hope you have a fantastic time, you totally deserve it!

Devi — April 7, 2011 at 1:59 pm

Good for you! We have a trip planned to the Outer Banks in NC in June. It cannot come soon enough. My happy place is anywhere with warm weather and a nice beach.

I work an insane amount too. It’s exhausting, especially when you’re raising a family and homeschooling kids at the same time. I consider myself blessed to be able to do it all, but yes, sometimes you need to stop and regroup and recharge the batteries. I hope you have a wonderful, relaxing, peaceful time.

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — April 8th, 2011 at 4:25 am

you homeschool, work, have kids…oh my dear, take care of YOU, too!

I used to live in NC and love the outer banks…have fun!

Anna — April 7, 2011 at 2:02 pm

My happy place = home with my family in the summer. I live on a lake in the woods and I truly feel at peace there. City life just doesn’t speak to me quite like country life does.

Favorite trip… hmmm it wasn’t a vacation exactly (still worked really hard!) but I adored my semester abroad in Nairobi, Kenya. Now THAT city spoke to me (and country in general) unlike any other place I’d been. I’d move back in a heartbeat, if only everyone I loved wasn’t here in the US.

Have fun in Aruba! I bet this go-round will feel extra good after all your hard work lately.

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine — April 7, 2011 at 2:09 pm

My happy place is my parents’ house in PA. Especially when I’m alone there for a few days. It’s just so calming, and the only place I can really “recharge.” Aruba doesn’t sound bad, either- I’m sure you’ll have a wonderful time! My dad and I are going to London at the end of May, and I CANNOT wait. So excited to see the UK and spend some QT with my dad!

holly — April 7, 2011 at 2:13 pm

right now, my happy place is my bed :)

yayyyy for taking a break – we all need that sometimes!!

• Sam@I Tell Stories replied: — April 8th, 2011 at 5:08 am

So is mine :)

We spent a fortune on a mattress, it’s so comfy and has a quilt on it that Grandma Ball made us.

Heidi @ Food Doodles — April 7, 2011 at 2:25 pm

Good for you! Getting away! My hubby has no desire to go any place hot so I’m outta luck in that way. I guess when I do go, I’ll be going by myself. I can’t understand him because I’ve always gone on vacations to hot places and I love it. And he makes fun of me because I’ve lived in Canada my whole life and only been to 1 province(other than the one we live in). Oh well. We don’t have any trips planned. Just day trips, to the next city over for shopping and up the lake which is just an hours drive. I don’t mind, I like sleeping in my own bed :D My favorite vacation was to Puerta Vallarta with my parents when I was younger. We stayed in the old part of town in a condo and did everything to local way – not the tourist way. It was incredible. I still dream of the food we ate there :D

Lesley Lifting Life — April 7, 2011 at 2:25 pm

So excited you get to go on vacation!! :) Sounds like you definitely deserve it!!

CathyK — April 7, 2011 at 2:38 pm

AVERIE!!! i am SO HAPPY for you!!!! oh, do run a loop along the beach for me, k?!!
    my happy place is …. aruba, too! also right up there: moab utah. if i am at home, any place in the sun, outdoors, is good enough.
    can’t wait to see the photos you’ll get this trip.
    i love this: “it’s only money. I can always make more” – i think i get what you mean. family, skylar at this age, being together … THOSE moments you can’t get back once they’re gone.
    thanks for sharing the exciting news! happy packing!

Lauren (Diary of a Vegan Girl) — April 7, 2011 at 2:39 pm

Yay! Im so happy for you! You totally deserve it. I know you will have an amazing time! My happy place? Maui and my couch :)

Maryea @ Happy Healthy Mama — April 7, 2011 at 2:46 pm

We are going to Jamaica in a few weeks. I can’t wait! Get aways are so important.

Oh the things I could accomplish if I could function on 4 hours of sleep! I didn’t think people like that really existed.

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — April 8th, 2011 at 4:26 am

“I didn’t think people like that really existed.” — LOL thought about that all day! haha!

Well, i didnt used to be that way (See my next post) but such is life. And yes, it’s the only way to get it all in!

Michelle {Minding our Peas and Carrots} — April 7, 2011 at 3:09 pm

My happy place is Jamaica, mon. There, the answer to every care is “no problem, mon”. LOVE it!

Ela — April 7, 2011 at 3:11 pm

Great piece of dialogue at the beginning there–so illustrative! Good for you–that sounds fantastic. And great attitude toward money also–can always make more.

I hope that this gives you a good ‘whoosh’ of energy until the actual trip time comes.

We’re taking a trip at the end of this month, to see some friends in AZ and Phil’s mom in OR/work on the farm. Just ten days, so two places will be hectic! And another quick hectic one in June for a wedding…

Crystal — April 7, 2011 at 3:43 pm

That’s great that you booked those tickets! I am so guilty about the “Well, it would be nice but I should wait until I have more money” and then of course it never happens. But my boyfriend and I are hoping to take a 2 day trip to Vancouver, BC (only a ferry ride away) later this summer so I am looking forward to that. I don’t travel that much because I am a student but it is something I absolutely love to do. My other happy places are hangin out near water (ocean or lakes), in forests, and my kitchen (when it is clean!)

Erin @ Big Girl Feats — April 7, 2011 at 3:56 pm

That is awesome – so happy for your Averie. You’ve given me the inspiration to sit down with Doug and plan out our vacation in August. I keep saying “We should go somewhere close so it’s not too expensive” – but really, I want to go somewhere awesomely fun with him and it’s right before I start grad school which means no big vacations for a while. So heck yes! Vacation planning!

My favorite – or one of them – vacations was when I went to San Francisco three summers ago. I was supposed to go with a friend but she cancelled. I said screw it and went alone. It.was.awesome. I had never traveled alone before and it was so freeing. Just me, my map and the road.

Christine (The Raw Project) — April 7, 2011 at 4:00 pm

Oh, you’re so lucky! I really need to getaway myself, but time and money are an issue now with hubby’s work schedule. But I totally get what you mean about breaking away, I’ve been drooling over the idea of seeing Key West again.

1. Not sure I have one specific happy place, depends on the season and my moods. I guess anyplace with great nature views, laid back feeling and great weather.
    2. Nope, I want to badly. But hubby has a crazy job shake up coming, so hopefully when everything settles.
    3. It’s a tie between Key West and Hawaii

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope — April 7, 2011 at 4:32 pm

Congrats on putting your mental health FIRST!!! So happy that you are getting a well-deserved break for you and your family in such a wonderful setting. I can’t wait to hear all about it!!!

My happy places? With my brothers or a couple of my closest friends ANYWHERE, or laying in the sun in the summer with a good book!

Stephanie — April 7, 2011 at 4:45 pm

1. My room at home. I miss it sooo much. Either that or Planet Organic. Best grocery store ever.
    2. Not really, unless going home in 20 days counts.
    3. Disneyland in grade five. Or Mexico in grade six. I got major sunburns on both (and when I went to Hawaii, but I complained a lot because I missed home. Go figure) but they were still pretty good. I don’t feel like I have any stand out vacations.
    OH wait, kidding. New York. No sun burn, no problem.

Molly — April 7, 2011 at 4:51 pm

I feel like it’s been foreverrrrr since I sent you a comment! Where have I been?! (College+marathons+work+internship+social life…..that’s where.)

I LOVE to travel. My favorite way to travel is by cruise ship…I’ve taken a cruise down Mexico, a cruise to Alaska, and my favorite…a Caribbean cruise. My favorite PLACE is Cabo San Lucas, MX, though – my grandparents have a timeshare that we take advantage off. My Cabo San Lucas=your Aruba….sunshine, beach, tortilla chips….the best.

Apparently, people don’t run in Cabo either…the staff at the resort our time share is at has become convinced that I’m a professional athlete because I run every morning. I’ve tried to explain that I’m not, but eventually I gave up and decided to let them be happy and give my ego a boost. I even signed an autograph once!

• Molly replied: — April 7th, 2011 at 4:51 pm

How did I forget London and Paris? London is my favorite non-tropical place by far.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — April 7, 2011 at 5:04 pm

Aruba again!!! Exciting!!!!!!!

I don’t know how you function on 4 hours of sleep … I really don’t. That is insane!!!

The hubby and I have 2 trips booked. NY in a couple weeks and Vegas in September.

Mimi (Gingersnaps) — April 7, 2011 at 5:28 pm

Wow, I love how you live your life. Have a great vacay!

My happy place is anywhere where my dad or some of my friends are.

Jess@HealthyExposures — April 7, 2011 at 5:29 pm

I’m so happy for you that you’ve got plans to get away and just relax for a bit, Averie!! And especially back to your happy place :] I’m with Jolene…4 hours?! I don’t know how you do it, either. You are so hardworking and passionate about everything you do and I truly admire you for it.
    My happy place? Sounds silly, since it’s obviously nothing extravagant…but the barn. Especially now that I’m at a place where there’s always something going on/people around/horses to play with. Even if I can’t ride, just hanging out or helping with chores is my idea of peace & relaxing!
    We’ve never been big travelers here. I used to go to Boston allll the time, though. I’d love being there while I was there, but after 2 days I NEEDED to come back to the countryside!

Holly — April 7, 2011 at 5:32 pm

Yes! I’m a long-time lurker, but I give you major kudos for (among so many other things) realizing Skylar will enjoy trips more when she’s older. My family hasn’t vacationed much in recent years (the kids are pretty much grown — even if we don’t act it sometimes), but in the early 90s we took all sorts of crazy trips — a cross-country excursion in a Chrysler van to Las Vegas, Disney World, etc. And I was toddler for all of them! I always grumble that we never went anywhere good. My parents try to remind me of the trips, but they don’t exist much in my memory.

Anyway, all of that to say — enjoy this trip and many more to come!!

julie — April 7, 2011 at 5:44 pm

oh i’m SO happy for you!!!!! you work so hard and deserve a good getaway! and i love scott’s just willingness to be like ‘okay!’ <–good hubbie ;)

my happy place is definitely our family house out east. there's no tv, a lot of times there's no internet and it's just my family, and the water and a gorgeous view and lots of 'me' time. its the best feeling in the world :) can't wait to go with you! haha well via the blog

Keri - I Eat Trees — April 7, 2011 at 6:05 pm

Congratulations on planning the getaway! We won’t be getting away anytime soon, but that’s okay because I’m really kind of a homebody anyway.

Jessica @ How Sweet — April 7, 2011 at 6:30 pm

So glad you are getting to go away! You more than deserve it!!

VeggieGirl — April 7, 2011 at 6:30 pm

My happy place = anywhere with my loved ones :)

NYC at the end of the month with Suave Slav and the folks! Belated birthday celebration.

Tracy @ Commit to Fit — April 7, 2011 at 6:38 pm

I hope you have a fantastic vacation and get some time to recharge :) I am not sure if I have an ideal happy place, any where sunny, warm and sandy would work for me right about now!

Get Skinny, Go Vegan. — April 7, 2011 at 6:46 pm

Have Fun! Seriously, 4 hours every night. Are you tired all the time or just one of those people that is so “together” and balanced and you don’t overeat so you are always energized. I don’t sleep that much, but then I feel like I knew I “missed” sleep.

Paige @ Running Around Normal — April 7, 2011 at 6:53 pm

Holy crap I did not know you worked full time 7 days a week! I hope this trip totally recharges your batteries!! <3

candice — April 7, 2011 at 7:08 pm

yay! for a get away! that is well deserved for sure!! I think everyone needs something to look forward to. We are going to Ny in a few weeks and I can’t wait.
    I need to make a trip to aruba. the sun and ocean sounds wonderful

MarkH — April 7, 2011 at 7:33 pm

Wow, I wish I could survive on 4 hours sleep a night.

I’m a grouch in the morning even after 7 hours :-)

Katie — April 7, 2011 at 7:45 pm

I can’t even express how happy for you I am!!! Not only do you deserve this much needed time away, but you are so right for just doing it, no matter what. Money stops so many people from doing what they want, but unless you can enjoy it, what’s the point? I am just so extatic right now!!! Good for you.

And Skylar is going to LOVE that she gets another trip down there!!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — April 8th, 2011 at 4:28 am

thank you, I knew you would appreciate it and be happy for me. It just HAD to happen! :)

Wanna come with???!

• Katie replied: — April 8th, 2011 at 8:34 am

Are you kidding?! Of course I want to. Can I? Oh wait….silly cross-country move.

Marcia @Frugal Healthy Simple — April 7, 2011 at 7:56 pm

Man, am I jealous. My ability to get away is limited by vacation time at work. I work like a dog, but I only get 3 weeks vacation a year, so I have to use it judiciously. My husband has the same issue. And very soon, all of our time off will be dictated by my son’s elementary school schedule also.

But I did just get back from a week in Hawaii. Where I went to a timeshare presentation and turned it down because we only vacation like that once every 4 years. Every other year we go visit family. And we’ve been trying to do weekends away, like last year’s camping in Joshua tree and a weekend in San Diego.

But have a GREAT!! time.

• Marcia @Frugal Healthy Simple replied: — April 7th, 2011 at 8:02 pm

Forgot to say – my happy place is Hawaii, but any time I get away with the hubby and kid, whether it be visiting our families in PA/NY, or camping, it’s fun!

Gaby — April 7, 2011 at 8:53 pm

My happy place is the beach or anywhere with a margarita!!! No beach trips coming up but hopefully soon!!

Ari@ThE DiVa DiSh — April 7, 2011 at 9:31 pm

I am sooo jealous averie!! have fun!! you need it!!

Anne — April 8, 2011 at 12:09 am

Good for you! Yay! You’re right, it’s only money…you only live once :-). And amen to #1 and #4 on your list of happy places. I have gotten THREE “runs” in this year. It’s mindblowingly little compared to what I used to, but I don’t want to compare with the past…in the light of everything it’s great, and every one of them felt amazing, which is what counts. I’m leaving on monday thru thursday, have a long day at work today trying to do a bit in advance so I won’t be swamped when I come back – and so things run smoothly while I’m away. Phew – looking forward! Take care Averie,

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — April 8, 2011 at 12:51 am

YAY! So excited for you!!! You deserve a break, sweet one! I can’t wait to see the pics with your new camera. You’re going to have an amazing time. And you’re right, it’s just money. ou need to enjoy life, feel rejuvenated. Good for you!! :D

My happy place is my hometown, in the valley. We live in the mountains now. I can’t wait to move back to the valley when we buy a house. My other happy place is being inside on a chilly winter’s day during Christmastime with Christmas lights on.

Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food — April 8, 2011 at 5:22 am

haha yeah it was definitely different than the camping vacations we used to do in my family! :P