Hair Products I Use

I love trying new hair products.  Every time I write about what I’ve been using and trying, I get so many questions about them so I decided to put many of my latest product finds and obsessions into one post.

1. Unite Shampoo and Conditioner

I wrote extensively on my love for Enjoy here.

It’s sulfate free, gluten free, vegan and more.

But it’s a very “thin” shampoo and conditioner.  It’s not rich and luxurious or overly moisturizing and recently I felt my hair was a little dry and could use more moisture.

Winter is to blame…

….as is hair color and highlights….

…and a Brazilian Blowout

2. That’s when I cheated on Unite and tried this drugstore Loreal.   See my thorough review, here.   One thing I really like about it is that it smells sophisticated.  Very Aveda-ish in its smell.

For a drugstore shampoo and conditioner, it’s very good for all the reasons that I explained here.

3. Recently I bought the Enjoy Luxury Line of Sulfate-Free Shampoo and Conditioner.  This is 100% luxurious shampoo and far from drugstore. If you don’t have dry hair or hair that needs an extra boost of moisture or TLC, I wouldn’t recommend this as it’s so thick and so moisturizing and gentle.

It’s really rich and decadent.  If I were to compare this shampoo and conditioner to food, it would be like eating cheesecake:

Super rich, decadent, thick, luxurious, lush, you only need a little bit to be satisfied.

Raw Vegan Cheesecake (Vegan, GF, easy, 10 minutes) anyone?

The Enjoy shampoo and conditioner also smells heavenly; like coconuts.  I think the shampoo is better at being a great shampoo than the conditioner is as a conditioner, but they are both wonderful.

4. I love It’s a 10.  I posted about it here, but it’s a leave-in detangler that is the best ever.  A couple spritzes of this and you can comb through the worst tangles, knots, and snarls, effortlessly. It does not leave your hair gloppy or greasy, shiny, nor does it weigh fine hair down.

Best detangler I’ve ever used.  As the name suggest, it is A Miracle.

5. Another leave-in/detangler/treatment product is this Loreal Professional Absolut Repair

It’s thicker and weighs my hair down more than the It’s a 10 does, but sometimes that’s desired or preferred.  It’s still light though and does not make my hair greasy, gloppy, or shiny.
It’s more of a leave in conditioner than a detangler per se, in my opinion. As far as a treatment product goes, I like the next one better…

….This One.

6. It’s a new-to-me product as of last week.  Schwarzkopf Professional Repair Rescue.  It’s a cream that you use to smooth down any frizzies or flyaways mid-hair shaft.  You can put it on wet or dry hair and it seals the cuticle down and so if you have what looks like breakage or split ends, this will seal them down and it’s supposed to prevent future breakage and splitting and do as the name suggests: repair rescue.

If you don’t put chemicals on your hair, i.e. color, highlights, perms, straightening treatments, you probably don’t need this.  But if you need it, and you know who you are, I love this stuff.

It smells great, is not greasy or gloppy, and does not add oil or really much shine, which is nice because anyone with split ends or breakage isn’t (or shouldn’t be) washing her hair daily anyway, so no one wants to add shine and grease to 2-3 day old unwashed hair.  But you can still use this stuff and not feel like the Grease Police will come and arrest you.

7. Dry shampoo.  I’ve never previously used any dry shampoos.   This one works fine, given the limited amount of occasions that I’ve used it thus far.  I’ve also heard the Frederic Fekkai is great, but much pricier.

It smells nice, and cuts some of the grease at the roots on day 3 of unwashed hair when I am trying to stretch washing my hair by 12-24 more hours but just need a little something to control the oil in places.  Baby powder works for this, too.

So there you have it.  The products I’ve been using lately and my reviews.  Whew, that took awhile to get that all out there but hair is worth anything!

From my last post about finally receiving my replacement iPhone after mine was stolen earlier in the week, yes, I am so happy to have it back!

And thanks for chiming in with all your Brownie Recipes!  Wow, great links and info.  Thank you all so much!  The event I am planning on making brownies for isn’t for a few weeks, but should I end up making some, or making some based on the comments you left, I will be sure to blog all about it.

1. What hair care products do you use and love?

Enlighten me and share.  Someone may be reading and you can help them.  Sharing is caring.

I also love this Kiehl’s Deep Conditioner that they call Olive Fruit Oil Deeply Repairative Hair Pak.  Simply amazing!   Uber thick, gloppy, rich, and powerful.  If you have uber dry hair and you don’t want to put mayonnaise or butter in it, this stuff rocks.

2. Any hair care products you’ve recently tried but would not recommend?  Why?

I have tried so many duds over the years, I don’t know where to start!

3.  Weekend plans? Easter plans?

I am working this weekend.  And the Easter Bunny is coming and there will be a cute Easter basket given out, I know that!

Happy Easter & Passover to those celebrating!  And Happy Earth Day, too!

151 Responses to “Hair Products I Use”

Callie {Rawxy} — April 22, 2011 at 1:34 pm

Yes, Kiehls Deep Conditioner is pretty freaking awesome!

I’ll tell you what NOT to buy :) The Brazillian Blowout brand shampoo and conditioner – My biggest complaint about that service (the BB) is the products my stylist gave me afterwards… $80 for both (together) and I hated them! Itchy scalp, build-up, mild-contact dermatitis – I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone!! So, if your stylist ever suggest trying it with the service, I’d advise against :)

I just recently started using Moroccanoil Intense Hydrating Mask (the jar one) as my main conditioner and I love it! I was hesitant, given that I don’t care for their oil that much, but It’s friggin’ awesome- so buttery smooth!

My other no-fail line is MOP. I say no-fail because I’m so sensitive to added ingredients, smells, etc.. and I never have any adverse reactions with their products! The mixed greens, and the mop C are my fav for dry hair. The shine drops are great as well.

Ok – I’ll stop there, as literally, I have an arsenal of hair products depending on the humidity, season and whether or not I’m wearing my hair curly or straight – It’s slightly problematic :) !!

• #
      Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) — April 22, 2011 at 4:11 pm

love your list and thanks for the info on the BB line of shamp/cond. Will steer clear. Not sure I will ever get another BB. The 2nd one was soooo drying to my hair. 1st one fine, 2nd one…meh.

And I am so happy about my NON refurbed iphone, as discussed on email :)

Kelly Michelle — April 22, 2011 at 1:36 pm

That Batiste dry shampoo changed my life, for real, I used to have to wash my hair EVERY day, that stuff is amazing, I buy the original.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — April 22, 2011 at 1:38 pm

I use “LiveClean” or “EverStrong.”

Our Easter plans include wandering around the NY Easter Parade, going for lunch to Union Square Cafe and then going to see “Freud’s Last Session” off Broadway.

cathy — April 22, 2011 at 1:46 pm

i love kiehl’s products, and burt’s bees. have to say, i am not all the *into* hair care…i prefer to spend on skin care products. i just got bangs last week, and am really liking this little update, though!
    enjoyed your product review!…i really haven’t researched “green,”/all-natural hair products very much…so appreciate your comments!
    i am working this weekend, too, but today is a holiday – it’s been nice to relax! hope you’re having a sunny day in SD!

Holly @ The Runny Egg — April 22, 2011 at 1:47 pm

I’m using up the bottles and bottles of Melaleuca shampoo and conditioner that I bought months ago when I still bought stuff from that company. I love how it smells and it is good for now. I’m excited to be done with it though, that way I can find a new shampoo. The same smell after a while gets kind of boring.

I’m thinking of getting a brazilian blowout — I’m saving a little bit of money here and there so I can go get it done. Your hair looks SO smooth!

• #
      Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) — April 22, 2011 at 4:13 pm

loved my 1st BB. 2nd one…made my hair so dry!

melaleuca…have heard rave reviews about their stuff! but quite$$ if I am not mistaken…isn’t everything!

Christine @ Merf In Progress — April 22, 2011 at 1:55 pm

I’ve been the world’s biggest fan of Aveeno until I recently found out they test their products on animals. I wrote a recent blog post about how shocked and saddened I was to find this out. I hate to say it, but L’Oreal tests on animals too, although rumor has it they have vowed to eliminate animal testing on their products by 2013.

Bria @ West of Persia — April 22, 2011 at 3:00 pm

I’m big fan of Wen. Yeah, I got sucked in by the infomercial, what can I say. LOL!

I buy it on ebay to circumvent auto-enrollment and auto-billing. I really love the smell and my hair looks and feels pretty much perfect after using it. Shiny, silky, and not weighed down.

Sometimes if I’ve let several days pass between shampoos, I’ll wash my hair with Nature’s Gate Pomegranate Shampoo (less than $4 per 18 ounce bottle on iherb). Then I’ll follow up with Wen.

I also like Suave’s knockoffs of Paul Mitchell’s Awapuhi shampoo and conditioners. They WORK, smell tropical, and they sell for around $2 each. Great budget option.

I gotta try that dry shampoo. Thanks for the tip.

• #
      Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) — April 22, 2011 at 4:14 pm

Wen, never even heard of it!

Brownie info, last post. Thanks.

Suave knockoffs…YES! Have used them in the past!

• #
      Bria @ West of Persia — April 22, 2011 at 7:09 pm

Ahhh, never heard of Wen? I thought you were all about informercials. :-) It’s a cleansing conditioner. In other words, you use only it–no shampoo, no detangler, nothing. Just the one product. It’s got lots of botanicals in it and is free of harsh detergents. Can you tell that the Wen informercial is my favorite? Well actually I think I’m slightly more addicted to the Lifestyle Lift infomercial. LOL!

Youtube has a lot of commentary on Wen. This one is short and done by a mom who uses it on herself and her kids and got positive results:

melissa @ the delicate place — April 22, 2011 at 3:10 pm

kiehls products are so lush love them! i use organix coconut tea tree shampoo and burts bees sugar beet conditioner and that’s it! sis in law is here so we’re having fun on the town this weekend :)

Lauren — April 22, 2011 at 3:28 pm

Yay, I was so excited to see the title of this post! I’m slightly obsessed with beauty/personal care products. I’m mixed race so my hair is naturally coarse and extremely dry, so I love using moisturizing shampoos and deep conditioners. Some of my favorite products are in the Phyto line, they are all natural and excellent quality (you can get it online and at Sephora). The Neutrogena Triple Moisture line is also GREAT for dry hair, as is the Herbal Essences Long-Term Relationship leave-in conditioner. There are so many products that I love! It was so fun to read about yours!

• #
      Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) — April 22, 2011 at 4:15 pm

good to know about the Neutrogena Triple Moisture line

yes, Phyto is great stuff but $$, but of course. Smells great too!

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope — April 22, 2011 at 4:27 pm

Awesome to have this all compiled in one post!

I use that same L’Oreal Shampoo/Conditioner!!! It’s incredible! I also use Fekkai colored-hair products and a few Aveda ones as well. It’s always good to have options! :)

carin — April 22, 2011 at 4:48 pm

where do you get the perfect 10 product? i’d like to try it!

julie — April 22, 2011 at 5:08 pm

YAYY glad you got your iphone back in action!!! you must feel like a mill bucks girl!

i love abba shampoo and conditoner and thats pretty much the only hair products i use because of the keratin. although i’ve been looking for a dry shamps for a while now. also i LIVE for morroccan oil ugh its amazing but super espensiiive

Kim — April 22, 2011 at 5:47 pm

Oooohhh i love hair product reviews! I am also in love with hair products!!!! Have a cupboard full of them, but seem to always just use the same ones :D
    Ive been eyeing off the Loreal Everstrong shampoo and conditioner, so just might have to give it a go when my current one runs out!

Cant wait to see pics of what the Easter Bunny leaves Skylar!!! And her reaction :D
    Have a lovely Easter!!!

leo — April 23, 2011 at 12:22 am

I also like the ENJOY,one of my freind bring it to me, so great!

Christine (The Raw Project) — April 23, 2011 at 7:56 am

Very interesting on the hair products, I’m so cheap when it comes to them usually buying Pantene jugs on sale at Costco. I guess BioSilk is pretty pricey, but so important when I straighten my hair since curly hair tends to be drier.

1. BioSilk and I’m always trying different hair gels with mixed results.
    2. Most mousses, they never work right on my hair, but for some reason salons keep thinking they do.
    3. Yard work and a family gathering Sunday.

Michele Sparrow — April 23, 2011 at 8:12 am

My favorite shampoo and conditioner are DermOrganic Conditioning Shampoo and DermOrganic Masque Conditioner. These products absolutely changed my hair. They have argan oil in them, which is an oil from the argan seed harvested in the Moroccan desert. My hair is never weighed down and it is hydrated completely from using the two together. I have tried many things over the years but always seemed to have to change things up because of build-up, etc. I have been using these 2 products for a year now and my hair seems to just get better. LOVE them!

I am so glad you were given a NEW iPhone! :)

Easter plans this weekend…as an Orthodox Christian, this week was Holy Week for us and we have had services every day. Last night was Holy Friday Lamentations and the service was 3 1/2 hours, but absolutely beautiful: Byzantine chanting, antiphonally! Gorgeous! Today another service and then Pascha (Easter) service tonight at midnight! Whew! But, and my boys are happy about this…fasting ends at midnight! We break the fast in the middle of the night with meat and dairy for them and something yummy and warm to drink. Since I am a raw, vegan, my diet is the same as the Orthodox fast so I don’t have to break it. I sip on tea…don’t really feel like eating in the middle of the night anyway!

Happy Easter to you and your family, Averie! Hope Skylar likes what the Easter Bunny is hopping to bring her! :)

Veronica — April 23, 2011 at 8:24 am

I have recently started using Aveeno hair products and really like them a lot better than some of the others I have used over the years. However, even more recently I was given a shampoo and conditioner from Young Living Essential oils called Copaiba Vanilla (they have another called Lavendar Mint also which I have not tried) and I absolutely love it! My hair feels soft and silky and not the slightest bit greasy.

Easter plans are going out to eat with the immediate family! First time ever, so no cooking and no mess to clean up!!

Happy Easter! :)

Christin@purplebirdblog — April 24, 2011 at 8:05 am

I am super loving on the Costco brand organic shampoo and conditioner… thick and moisturizing but not too heavy, and it smells heavenly! :) I’ve been giving serious consideration to dying my hair in some form or fashion, whether it be bleaching streaks to dye purple or henna-ing the whole thing, so if I end up doing that I may need to reevaluate my hair care regimen accordingly! And one of these days I will be able to afford a Brazilian blowout and all will be glorious :)

alex — April 24, 2011 at 5:47 pm

This is great!! I love “It’s a 10″ but never can figure out why! You explained it well.

Beth — April 26, 2011 at 9:02 am

I will actually be looking for a new shampoo & conditioner. The one I love during the winter is Aubrey’s Swimmer’s Shampoo & Conditioner. It gives my hair the right amount of clean & moisture during the cold & dry winter months.

I did try a new shampoo & conditioner a couple months back, but my hair was still too dry. I’m thinking this was due to the weather – and heaters inside. Now the spring it here, I’m going to give it another shot.

James Brown — April 28, 2011 at 8:05 am

Lovely just what I was searching for.Thanks to the author for taking his time on this one.

Dan — April 28, 2011 at 1:27 pm

A couple of thoughts come to mind. First, i’m glad that i’m not a girl (i wouldn’t be able to handle that many products for one part of me) and second, i’m hard pressed to believe that one shampoo makes much of a difference over another.