In The News & The Influence of Blogs

The skies are blue and the sun is shining in San Diego.

The flowers are blooming.

And I am powering through the day:

I knocked out a 20 Minute At Home Workout

I am grooving on the coffee and mango butter finds that I picked up at TJ’s yesterday

I love TJ’s Coffees and did a big Coffee Review Post comparing many of their coffees as well as others, like Smores Coffee

From my last post on Mango Recipes, thanks for letting me know you like your mangoes just as much as I do.  Well, most of you do. Some people are allergic.

As a sidebar, mango allergies are a pretty common allergy.  It’s in the latex family so if you’re allergic to mango, then bananas, papaya, pineapple, avocado and others could be culprits, too.  I have plenty of food allergies so can spout off food allergy trivia all day long.

Today I made a batch of Raw Taco Nut “Meat”

I bring this taco “meat” to parties and always impress the meat eaters because it’s hearty, dense, full of flavor, and filling.  And takes about 45 seconds to make.

And plated that over a bed of greens because a Raw Taco Salad was the perfect lunch on a spring day when I’m slamming and jamming.

And I baked some Lemon & Dill Roasted Potato Sticks (mostly for Scott) but munched on a few of those.

I prefer to munch on fresh berries and…

…Chocolate!

Like Special K Bars with Chocolate Frosting

I am also really excited because I was featured in a National Fox News Story about the power of blogs and bloggers.  The piece, written by Hollie McKay, is about a study that showed that bloggers have more influence than celebrities when it comes to influencing consumer purchasing decisions and I was interviewed for and quoted in the storyCheck it out if you have a second!

1. Have you ever been interviewed for a story or been on the radio, TV, or in the media in some way?

Other than writing my blog and being in the Movie, A Walk to Remember, that I discussed here and here, I can’t recall any other media features or brushes with fame.  Other than doing yoga next to Gwyneth Paltrow and Katie Holmes on separate instances, years ago, which was very cool!

However, I’d like to do more interviews.  It’s been fun!

2. How much influence do you think blogs and bloggers have over purchasing decisions?

I personally think they have an enormous influence!

I have done many, many posts over the years on things I’ve purchased or tried because I’ve read about them in the blogosphere.  Everything from chia seeds to nutritional yeast as I discussed here, recently.

I’ve tried some gems, and some duds, but because of blogs and the recommendations of fellow bloggers, I tried products that I otherwise wouldn’t have known about or bothered to try.  Their endorsement, review, and simply featuring the product or item on their blog did alter my purchasing decisions.

3. Have you bought anything or tried anything new because a blogger mentioned it or featured it on his/her blog?

I also have discussed that I went through a phase where I tried and bought just about anything that I saw floating around, but I have since reigned in my impulse purchases and don’t race out to buy everything I see anymore, either.

It’s fun to try new things and products but I don’t have the budget, or the need, to try everything.  Sometimes I know that what I have works well for me and I don’t need to keep trying and trying every latest thing, i.e. certain yoga clothes or protein powders and I don’t need to race out and buy the “latest and greatest”.

It’s a balancing act, for sure, trying new things but also not breaking the bank or buying things you just don’t need or won’t really have much long term use for.

What do you think about the power and influence of blogs/bloggers featuring products?  Have you bought or tried things you’ve seen in the ‘sphere?

Enjoy your day!

71 Responses to “In The News & The Influence of Blogs”

Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) — April 13, 2011 at 1:47 pm

WOW yoga with those two celebs?! AMAZING!! :O

I’ve been influence SO MUCH food-wise by blogs! I’d never even heard of nooch or chia seeds pre-blogging, and I’d never had peanut butter before I started blog reading, and now I’m addicted!! :P

Kristina @ spabettie — April 13, 2011 at 1:48 pm

CONGRATS on being featured in the article – just read it, good one! :) I’ve not been interviewed by BIG news… a few years ago when I was building a resort spa I had many media appearances on the local television and radio, and in the national industry publications. Out of college I modeled clothing for Saks Fifth Avenue, but that was our local television also :)

I am a self professed CONSUMER… so yes, I have sought out products I’ve heard of on blogs… and I also love to share products I’m excited about too – that’s why I loved (what I thought!) OpenSky was about when I had my shop… ;)

Ashley — April 13, 2011 at 1:50 pm

Wow congrats! I’m going to check out the FOX news article now. That’s so cool, Avery!! I also didn’t know you were in a movie!! Your eats look delish, especially the special k bars!! I’ve never been interviewed, but I was in a commercial when I was a lot younger and hated it, haha. I have definitely tried out a lot of new things because of blogs. A huge influence for sure!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — April 13th, 2011 at 2:05 pm

Thanks, Ashley, for complimenting my eats. Because I always drool over yours and your pics, that means a lot :)

Btw I am going to be in CO this summer. Would love to see you!

Ellie@fitforthesoul — April 13, 2011 at 1:54 pm

wow this is awesome Avery!!! congrats for that! :D and I just kinda started reading your blog and I can’t believe you were in a walk to remember haha! i love that movie.

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) — April 13, 2011 at 1:56 pm

Peanut flour and flax are about the only thing I ever bought based on bloggers. Peanut flour is a love of mine now and I put flax in and on almost everything. Congrats on the interview! I haven’t done anything profound enough to be interviewed, but Tony does them all the time since he is in comics.

Kelsey @ Snacking Squirrel — April 13, 2011 at 1:57 pm

can i just marinate on the sofa with your bag of chocolate chips, mango butter, coffee, and bananas right now? lol YUM!
    HUGE CONGRATULATIONS btw! I’m surprised you arent featured more to be honest. Maybe its just because I consider your site the HUB of a lot of food blogs- not only is it extremely relevant and up-to-date..its also personable and i always find myself thinking during the day “I wonder what Avery has been up to lately?”

XOXO <3

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — April 13th, 2011 at 2:06 pm

Kelsey you are sooo sweet! Thank you for the lovely comment :) Maybe more people will come knocking now! haha!

Heather (Where's the Beach) — April 13, 2011 at 2:04 pm

Congrats! Very cool. Oh yes, I do think bloggers are influential. I’ve definitely made purchasing decisions based on the opinions and suggestions of other bloggers. It’s a great way to find new products, but also to help determine if something is even worth the purchase. Reviews are so beneficial.

Christine @ Merf In Progress — April 13, 2011 at 2:09 pm

I buy tons of things that I learn about from other bloggers. I’m actually having a link party on Friday called “Friday Favorites” for bloggers to share some of their favorite things. I can’t get enough of seeing what other people love and getting some inspiration!

I gave up impulse purchases for Lent and it’s killing me.

Brittany — April 13, 2011 at 2:09 pm

I’m jealous of your beautiful berries and sunny skies. We’re still waiting for spring to arrive on the east coast.

And I would have to agree, bloggers have A TON of influence on purchasing decisions.

Holly @ The Runny Egg — April 13, 2011 at 2:11 pm

I’m definitely influenced by bloggers — I see products (like that TJs Mango Butter) and I want it! And next time I go to TJs I will buy it. I’ve also gotten things from OpenSky shops (back when lots of people had them) and that was all based on blogger’s recommendations.

I’ve never been in the news, except when I was really little. My mom homeschooled my sisters and me and we were in the local paper :)

• Holly @ The Runny Egg replied: — April 13th, 2011 at 2:12 pm

And I just read the article — that is really neat Averie and you had a great quote in there!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — April 13th, 2011 at 2:18 pm

I never knew you were HS’ed! I would love to hear about your experiences and thoughts looking back on it. We were moving down that path but with life/work, not feasible but I totally support and endorse HSing!

Erin @ Big Girl Feats — April 13, 2011 at 2:14 pm

Very cool! Going to read the article now :) I agree, I used to be a lot more apt to buy things based on blog recommendations, but I’ve reigned it in. For example, I JUST purchased my first bag of chia seeds last week! I’m more likely to take suggestions from bloggers where I feel like I “know” the person (i.e. you, Madeline, Allie, Evan, etc) too.

Liz — April 13, 2011 at 2:34 pm

Bloggers have a TON of influence over my purchasing decisions. I’ve bought so many things based upon product recommendations — from big purchases like a Vitamix to smaller purchases like granola.

Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) — April 13, 2011 at 2:36 pm

1) That’s pretty darn cool Averie ! I read the article and agree. I think bloggers have more ‘power’ than say Kim K. I don’t really care what celebrities say they like… I always assume they’re getting paid to say that. When a blogger says she likes something, I know she’s being honest bc no one is paying her to say it. At least I think…

2) I think for me, I learn about new products and trends… BUT, I always make my own choices as far as what works for me and my life style. I would never buy something *just* because a blogger I like (and admire) likes it & uses it. I take my time and decide if it’s right for me, but I can’t tell you how many things I have learned about bc of blogs. They’re such a wonderful resources.

3) There has been an item or two I thought I’d like, but didn’t… and to be honest, I can’t even think of one bc they are so few and far between.

lindsay — April 13, 2011 at 2:40 pm

what a great article Averie! Yes, you do have an influence on us bloggers. Its about balance, in every area. And I love how you do it so well yet keep things real. That should be recognized more often!

Ela — April 13, 2011 at 2:54 pm

Wow, you’re famous! That’s awesome that they asked for your thoughts and that you delivered them so succinctly. Did they quote you accurately, or make you say things that you didn’t say? (I know that’s a common problem, but it seems like what you said made sense.)

Congratulations!

I don’t have any cool stories like that, but I think it’s true what they say about the importance and influence of blogs. My problems is that mine isn’t squarely in one arena, it straddles a few… And currently that’s my choice, so I guess it’s not a problem!
    love
    Ela

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — April 13, 2011 at 2:56 pm

Congrats on being in the Fox News article!! We watch Fox News religiously, lol. Seriously, it’s always on at least one TV in at house at any given time, haha. So seeing you mentioned on their web site is so exciting to me!! :mrgreen:

As someone who has been in Internet marketing for this long, I definitely think that blogs are very influential. Any type of social outlet is very powerful, and blogs oftentimes have a close connection with their audience. I know a lot of my readers really connect with me, and that’s what sets blogs aside from any other media: the daily (or weekly, etc.) interpersonal connection. :)

McKella — April 13, 2011 at 3:09 pm

Blogs have a HUGE influence on my food and kitchen purchases. I bought a spiralizer after reading about your zuke noodles! Katie has turned me into a Artisana coconut butter fan (you know which Katie I’m talking about) and without blogs, I never would have discovered (or purchased) nooch, PB & Co. Dark Chocolate Dreams, kabocha squash, or medjool dates to name a few!

Lauren — April 13, 2011 at 3:14 pm

Congrats on the article, you spoke the truth! There are SEVERAL things that I have bought because I read about them in the blogesphere, Larabars, flax seeds, and almond milk included. I trust bloggers like you to let me know what products are worthwhile! :)

Gena — April 13, 2011 at 3:42 pm

Congrats on your interview! As always, a balanced and honest take on the whole dilemma of product reviewing, disclosure, and so on. Nicely done!

Dana — April 13, 2011 at 3:44 pm

I’ve bought TONS of things because of the blog world:

Kale, PB&Co PB, Fage, Sunflower seed butter, ezikeil bread, certain bars,

Dana — April 13, 2011 at 3:44 pm

PS congrats :)

Lucy @ The Sweet Touch — April 13, 2011 at 4:08 pm

Congrats on the news article! It is definitely tempting to be influenced by other bloggers. After reading some for a couple years I can tell that there are some that promote some item or food in every single post, claiming it’s “the best.” I don’t take those ones as serious as the ones that do it less often and actually have a reason for promoting an item. Not sure if that makes sense but that’s kinda how I look at it!:D

Jess (In My Healthy Opinion) — April 13, 2011 at 4:10 pm

Congratulations on the article, Averie!! It was a great quote. :) You always have great stances on things, and I love hearing your opinion on different topics.

I absolutely think the blog world has huge influence! I never knew about so many different food products/workouts/etc. until I started reading blogs, and I think that’s kind of cool. I definitely don’t run out and buy everything, but seek out things that sound good for me. :)

Heidi @ Food Doodles — April 13, 2011 at 4:11 pm

Congrats on the interveiw that’s awesome :D
    Yes, I think bloggers have a huge influence. Without bloggers such as yourself I would have never tried nooch, coconut oil and chia seeds just to name a couple.
    I’ve never been in the media.. in any way. That’s ok with me though, I’m not a fan of being the center of attention for any reason.

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope — April 13, 2011 at 4:15 pm

I see a lot of “great things” on blogs, but I know my tastes and my own likes pretty well, so I’ll only go out and buy it if I’m really interested. I do like hearing about products on blogs, just because it’s a great way to “test” anything, food or otherwise, without having to spend the money on it. I can usually tell the bloggers who are being honest about their reviews and the ones that are just doing it for show, which is another big factor that should be considered before running to the store right away.

kristina@beancakes — April 13, 2011 at 4:43 pm

congrats on your interview!! oh yes, i definitely believe that bloggers have a major influence of others, mainly because i know for a fact that i am influenced!, in a good way, i’ve tried many new foods such as chia seeds for one, because of food blogs. and i’ve tried some of your recipes as well, that i really love!

Lauren (Diary of a Vegan Girl) — April 13, 2011 at 5:02 pm

Congratulations Averie!

Katie — April 13, 2011 at 5:04 pm

Congrats, don’t forget about us little people. ;) I kid.

I used to buy more stuff I read about on blogs, but now I am more skeptical after far too many duds. Or maybe I just know my taste buds better and know when something looks like something I want and not. Like that mango butter. I am all over that. Well, making it, since there is no TJs nearby. I actually went to the store today and got a couple mangos….now I ahve to be patient while they ripen.

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — April 13th, 2011 at 7:53 pm

little people. lol

Most days I feel like but a speck of dust. Seriously.

Mango butter. Can’t wait to hear the homemade version and how it goes!

Jess — April 13, 2011 at 5:05 pm

They definitely have enormous influence on me!! Why would I buy a product after another blogger said it was downright HORRIBLE?! That being said, I do not necessarily buy everything because a blogger said it was GOOD, because lots of products are too expensive for my broke-high school student budget ;)

Missy — April 13, 2011 at 5:18 pm

Blogs have enormous influence…for those who read them.
    Which is why I do not understand why Peanut Flour is not more widely available (though I have never had it).
    That strawberry picture is really gorgeous.

Rachel (tea and chocolate) — April 13, 2011 at 5:25 pm

Congrats on the interview! And you’ve done yoga with two celebrities? Awesome! When I first started reading blogs, I was influenced a lot by bloggers’ purchases and recommendations, mostly out of curiosity and because I trust the blogger to give good recommendations if we have similar tastes. I’m still influenced to some extent, but that urge to try tons of new foods is gone, thank goodness. There’s only so much my budget can handle. :)

Amanda — April 13, 2011 at 5:26 pm

I served Keanu Reeves, The Osbornes, Pink, Paris Hilton, Slash (and many many more) When I waitressed at the Rainbow Room in LA! Good memories

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — April 13th, 2011 at 7:55 pm

and I bet you have some, ahem, amazing stories that you could share about it all, too :) I can use my imagination…haha!

Bria @ West of Persia — April 13, 2011 at 5:31 pm

I’ve tried lots of stuff thanks to blogs, including nutritional yeast, chia seeds, peanut flour, and raw cacao. All items that are now staples. Ha, I must’ve blocked out the stuff I tried but was not into, because I can’t recall anything right now.

Cool quote, lady. Way to go!

Yes, I’ve had my own brush with blogging fame. A few months ago I was interviewed by a reporter from America.gov for a piece he wrote about blogs about Persian food and culture. It’s linked here, if you’re curious:

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — April 13, 2011 at 5:59 pm

I think blogs have a really big influence on the things I buy!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine — April 13, 2011 at 6:07 pm

Congrats on the mention- that’s awesome!!

I think bloggers have a HUGE influence. When I think of all the products I’ve bought and all the money I’ve spend on things I’ve seen reviewed on blogs…craziness!! Most of it was money well spent, but yeah, blogging has definitely made me a bit poorer, especially when it comes to the big-ticket items like my Garmin!

Tulika — April 13, 2011 at 6:09 pm

Wow, Averie! Read the interview–so cool! And so true as well. I feel like I’m always so persuaded by other bloggers’ foodie finds!!

Lindsay — April 13, 2011 at 6:32 pm

Hey Averie congrats on the interview! Too cool!

Wow, YES blogs are very influential for me these days. Ever since I started my own I’ve been connecting with so many people out their with healthy lifestyles and similar eating habits. I’ve picked up TONS of tips. I learned from MamaPea @ Peasandthankyou the other day that hummus comes out creamier if you PEEL the chic peas first. Who would have guessed!?
    Also I love the ideas for new products. I’ve discovered things like chia seeds, hemp protein, and Larabars by reading blogs :) love it!!!

BroccoliHut — April 13, 2011 at 6:40 pm

Yours is the second blog I’ve read tonight featuring that mango butter! I need to get some for myself!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — April 13th, 2011 at 7:55 pm

I think it’s a pretty new product? but yeah, I can imagine it will be popping up everywhere :)

carrie — April 13, 2011 at 6:56 pm

Just wanted to say a huge THANK YOU for the delicious cookie dough balls (i was the auction winner). I got them today and am trying my hardest not to eat them all immediately! And thank you for the *bonus* treats. I definitely try more foods after i read about them on blogs like yours… that mango butter may just have to be next! thanks again for creating such yummies!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — April 13th, 2011 at 7:57 pm

You are so welcome and per my email, too, thank you for saying hi!!! I have been thinking, wondering, pondering who you were…thank you for surfacing :)

Don’t be a stranger, please! :)

Cathy — April 13, 2011 at 7:20 pm

that is so super fun that you were included in the article, averie! congrats!
    i think bloggers have a HUGE influence – bloggers become *friends* and we trust our friends’ opinions. also, we’re influenced by people we look up to, and a lot of bloggers command a lot of respect.
    i’ve tried some new products thanks to seeing them on blogs. nutritional yeast – yea! coconut water – boo! unfortunately, we don’t get many of the products i’d like to try – or have the stores (target, trader joes) in canada.
    enjoy that sunshine!

Tracy @ Commit to Fit — April 13, 2011 at 7:50 pm

Congrats on being featured! I don’t think that their is any doubt how influential bloggers are. I have seen some blog post with over 1000 comments! I can only imagine how many people are visiting daily. I don’t buy everything I read about in other blogs, but I like that it introduces me to new things.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — April 13, 2011 at 8:16 pm

I was interviewed for an article about chocolate that was in a food magazine in Ontario. That’s about it …

Christine (The Raw Project) — April 13, 2011 at 9:15 pm

Great eats, I need to try the potato sticks. Congrats on the story, that’s really awesome! Great quote!

1. Once for being at a post office shipping a few days before Christmas, I walked in and there were reporters everywhere targeting last-minute shippers. :-P
    2. A lot, much more than celebrities because the authors are easier to relate to and talking about everyday products people can actually afford. It steams me that most celebrities who can afford purses worth more than my car get them for free simply to promote them to people who can’t afford them. For that reason I rarely pay attention to products celebrities are using knowing they probably didn’t pick them and got them for free.
    3. Yes, lots of kitchen gadgets and food mainly.

Ari@ThE DiVa DiSh — April 13, 2011 at 11:06 pm

Congrats Averie! I will def check it out! San Diego HAS been BEAUTIFUL :)

saravixen — April 14, 2011 at 3:13 am

I’m new to your blog and I have to say I like it ;) It’s fun reading from you.

To answer on one of your questions; I really think that bloggers can have a huge effect on eachother. I love reading about things that I haven’t tried myself and when it sounds delicious/fun to make, I buy some things from time to time to try out myself. For me that’s the fun part about reading blogs!

Katie — April 14, 2011 at 6:34 am

CONGRATS on that feature girl!!! I bet that was so exciting for you ; ) U know you rock, they should do a WHOLE story just on YOU!

I need that mango butter! thank you!

Love u! xoxo

Christin@purplebirdblog — April 14, 2011 at 6:42 am

Congrats on the article!! I have DEFINITELY been influenced by bloggers… even so far as starting my own blog! Sooooo many products I don’t know I would have ever tried without the reviews of my fellow bloggers. The way I eat has been influenced as well… I love HEAB’s style and model a lot of my eating after her… and Katie (making food and other stuff)… and I’ve made your granola bars many times to many accolades from Alex as well as myself… matter of fact, I need to make those again soon! ;)

Amber K — April 14, 2011 at 8:06 am

I have been interviewed for a book, but it hasn’t come out yet (and it won’t for awhile) and it’s driving me crazy not to tell everyone I know about it!

I have totally tried new products and foods that I never would have thought to try if it weren’t for blogs. I have been trying to save up for a Vita-Mix because trying to make certain things with my combination of putting it in the food processor first and then using my Magic Bullet is so frustrating. Plus it dirties so many dishes. Someday my husband keeps telling me, someday :)

Krista — April 14, 2011 at 10:43 am

I’ve definitely bought things b/c I’ve seen them on blogs! I’ve used ingredients I never would have. I’ve also learned to use some things in ways that I never would’ve thought of. Admittedly, I don’t have the time I use to to dedicate to the kitchen as much as I would like, but I’m still grateful for all the neat ideas I see on other blogs that I read every day!

Bella — April 14, 2011 at 9:37 pm

Congrats on being quoted! I have definitely been influenced by blogs to purchase certain products I might not have otherwise heard about. I think it’s mostly a wonderful thing — as a vegan, most of the foods/products I would purchase aren’t heavily advertised via “mainstream” sources, so reading vegan blogs is a great way to become acquainted with all of the amazing vegan things out there. The one thing that I find a little iffy is that PR agencies are becoming more and more savvy on how to capitalize on blog writers to review their products. There isn’t anything intrinsically wrong with bloggers reviewing products or food (I do it myself, it it’s a fit), but it can get a bit weird when 20+ bloggers are all raving about a product at the same time. It’s like sensory overload, ya know?