Tripod & Photography Page

I have been obsessed with become passionate about photography lately in case you haven’t noticed.  I decided to create a Photography Page to keep all my photography posts organized and for easier search-ability in case anyone wants to read over my various photography posts.

Some recent posts…

My food styling and photography workshop last weekend helped to fuel my new passion.

Earlier in the week I made Lightbounces which was the best 60 second and $3 dollar DIY project I’ve ever done.

A couple weeks back I was in hot pursuit of linens and pretty backdrops for my photos.   I found some vintage scarves I’ve been loving.

Cute dishes that I can find on the cheap are always on my brain, too.

And I’ve reviewed books Here and Here on Food Styling and Photography

But one thing I realized after my Food Styling &Photography Workshop was that I needed a tripod.

There is no way to get these types of shots, for me at least, without using one.

My hands are just not steady enough to hold my very heavy camera + big lens steady enough with the appropriate camera settings I need to use to get uber crisp and clear shots like these without a tripod.

I had posted previously that I was contemplating getting a tripod but was on the fence.  But I realized that getting one would improve the quality of my photos, so I decided to order this tripod from CSN Stores.  I had some money as a store credit so I applied that plus used my own funds, and was able to get this previously pricey tripod (that was already marked way down) for a very reasonable sum.

It has what’s called a pistol grip head, meaning rather than using separate knobs to tip, tilt, and adjust the tripod’s head, I can just squeeze the trigger, and move the entire head in one fell swoop.  Such a time saver and major convenience factor added not having to deal with multiple dials and knobs.

Just screw the big DSLR camera in and get ready to shoot.  I can tell you just from having it a few days, I love it!  The pistol grip head makes this tripod way easier to use, less things to fiddle with and less wasted time trying to screw two sets of “controls” and tilts in place.

I plan to use the tripod for what I call “Photo Shoot Worthy Food”.  Meaning, for food I plan to shoot that I developed the recipe from scratch, took pictures of all the stages of the process, and plan to post the pictures to Foodgawker, Tastespotting, or Serious EatsI don’t intend to break out the tripod to shoot a picture of salad.

No Bake Vanilla Cake Batter Chocolate Truffles

Rice Pudding with Raisins

No Bake Nutter Butter Special K Bars

And when I’m done with the tripod, it packs up neatly in this carrying bag.   I put it in the closet to keep my living space clutter free because I hate clutter and visual disarray.

From my last post featuring Soup, Salad, Dips, and Savory Recipes I’ve seen lately, I’m glad you enjoyed the post and recipe compilation!  It was fun hearing what you’ve been making or seen lately that has you inspired.

Questions

1. Best thing you’ve eaten or done so far this weekend?

I had a glorious day with Skylar in the 82F degree sunny weather.  We spent lots of time outside, played, laughed and had a wonderful time.

2. Do you have a tripod?  If so, do you like it or use it often?  If not, do you want one?

Lots of you answered in the comments section here, but feel free to chime in again.

3. Tell me something fun that’s going on in your world!

I am going back outside to enjoy the day

And then I’m going to pick up a few ingredients at the store for a recipe I’m working on…

Enjoy your weekend!

45 Responses to “Tripod & Photography Page”

Nikki — April 16, 2011 at 3:38 pm

No fair. I live in PA and it’s been POURING almost the whole day. I made cinnamon buns today. It’s a rainy day activity I suppose.

Paige @ Running Around Normal — April 16, 2011 at 3:46 pm

These pictures look SO good. You’re a natural! I need to borrow my dad’s tripod :)

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope — April 16, 2011 at 3:53 pm

Averie, you have such a talent, and this posts shines with your skills! Congrats on the investment! As I’m sure you know, it’s always worth it to invest in passion. :)

Well, there’s a snowstorm in Wisconsin, so I’m a little jealous of your weather. ;)

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — April 16th, 2011 at 5:41 pm

Thank you, Heather! For this comment and every single awesome comment you leave me…truly, day brighteners. Thanks :)

Yasi — April 16, 2011 at 3:56 pm

Avery, these pictures look amazing!! I’m talking magazine-worthy. :)
    -Yasi

triumphantyasi.blogspot.com

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — April 16th, 2011 at 5:41 pm

you are too kind, thank you!

• Yasi replied: — April 17th, 2011 at 10:25 am

I now realize I spelled your name wrong. I’m sorry! :)

Melissa — April 16, 2011 at 4:16 pm

1. Best thing you’ve eaten or done so far this weekend?
    It has been raining non-stop here! It is cold, overcast, and plain old miserable. I didn’t want to feel like a hermit so I made myself go to the grocery store to pick up some goodies. I saved a ton on sales and with coupons so that makes me quite happy. Right now I am at home, in my sweatpants watching netflix, waiting for dinner to finish cooking.

2. Do you have a tripod? If so, do you like it or use it often? If not, do you want one?
    No. But I’m not a big photographer.

3. Tell me something fun that’s going on in your world!
    I’m going to be a bridesmaid in my brother’s wedding!

Katie — April 16, 2011 at 4:24 pm

I’ve got a pretty crappy little tripod, but I use it for almost every photo I take. I looked on CSN for tripods back when I had $$ to spend and didn’t see any! I’ve been holding off on getting a new one, because I want a really good one for photography and outdoor birding. That will require a super sturdy one to use with a super zoom spotting scope. Gotta have the good stuff for my students, you know!

I’ve never seen the trigger thing, but I can imagine that is a HUGE time and annoyance saver.

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — April 16th, 2011 at 5:42 pm

Well they do have them, but the searches took awhile for the right ones to come up in the searches.

• Jacklynn replied: — April 19th, 2011 at 7:48 pm

vt25Lj YMMD with that aswner! TX

Red Deception — April 16, 2011 at 5:11 pm

Those are some GREAT photographs!

Nicole @ Fresh & Fit — April 16, 2011 at 5:31 pm

A photography page is a great idea! I have been trying to get my photos to look better lately and your tips are really helpful! The photography class you took looks amazing!

Lauren (Diary of a Vegan Girl) — April 16, 2011 at 5:53 pm

You take such amazing pictures!

Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing — April 16, 2011 at 6:11 pm

Averie, these photos are beautiful. Best of luck with the photo submissions — I hear it’s a hard process, but from what I see I think they’d have to be blind not to accept them! :)

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — April 16th, 2011 at 6:23 pm

the ones I showed have all been accepted on the food sites already :) but yes they are SUPER picky and sometimes I have no idea why I am getting turned down..it’s such a learning curve!

Jess — April 16, 2011 at 6:31 pm

CUTE AND CHEAP?! Loveeeee this dishes <3

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — April 16, 2011 at 6:50 pm

A tripod is next on my investment list for photography! It is definitely necessary for AMAZING pictures!

Erica D @ Gratitouille — April 16, 2011 at 7:03 pm

While I got my car serviced today, I drank a complimentary cappuccino called a “panda bear” with shots of dark and white chocolate in it. Delicious!

MegSmith @ Cooking.In.College — April 16, 2011 at 7:08 pm

Gorgeous gorgeous pics Averie!!!

The tripod is definitely a great idea.

lisa — April 16, 2011 at 8:06 pm

that camera works beautifully!! i need to invest in a good camera/tripod. as of now, all my pics are from my phone. hahha :)

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit — April 16, 2011 at 9:45 pm

So… my boyfriend (Kevin) loves photography. He has light boxes, soft boxes, 2 DSLR’s, lenses, umbrellas, tripods… and I took it ALL. mwahaha. I’m so happy he had all of this already, and that he wasn’t too territorial about it all. Except… the day he got home and noticed that I’d left one of the DSLRs without a lense or cap on it for a couple of weeks. I guess moisture builds up and the only way to fix it is to send it to Canon… hehe oops!

Anne — April 17, 2011 at 2:04 am

Love it how you educate yourself about photography and plunge fearlessly – good job, and glad you enjoy it, and pics are getting better and better! The sky’s the limit, haha! :-)

Something fun? I went on hols with my mother for three days and it was great! Oooh, we’ve had our share of problems(!) in the past but I’m older and more sensible and she’s changed and it was an invaluable experience – I hope to do more while she’s still up for it, physically.

Cleaning the kitchen and washing the woollen mittens today, cause it’s spring! So not such a chore, really. Plus I have the secret fuel…biiig white chocolate cookies which I baked yesterday – a whole batch ended in the garbage (sob…) and a half a batch (I was getting careful, baking TWO at a time) went the same way, but the last eight or so finally succeeded! Chocolate…. for me? OMG it’s been a while…

Have a nice sunday!

Beth — April 17, 2011 at 5:00 am

Looks like a nice tripod, with a great carrying bag too.

Best thing I did yesterday: Celebrated my SIL’s birthday with the family.

BroccoliHut — April 17, 2011 at 5:33 am

I’ve always been so intrigued by food styling, so attending a workshop on the topic sounds like a blast! I might have to check out those books you mentioned.

kate@ahealthypassion — April 17, 2011 at 6:02 am

:Your pictures look amazing! You definitely have a talent for photography.

Christine (The Raw Project) — April 17, 2011 at 8:26 am

That’s awesome that you’re so into photography. Love all the pictures and books. Very nice tripod!

1. The asparagus festival.
    2. Yes, we have a very nice one my father-in-law gave us that works well with all our cameras. Crazy the price differences in them, huh?
    3. Not too much, I’m probably helping my mom buy a Mac today and finally grocery shopping.

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — April 17th, 2011 at 12:53 pm

A new Mac…well keep me posted about what you buy (and why)…I am almost there.

And yes, the price diff’s in tripods (and all camera gear)…is vast!

Ellie@fitforthesoul — April 17, 2011 at 12:06 pm

truly truly italian pizza was the best for me! And my white choc macadamia cookies haha. i must say your pictures are lookin’ gorgeous!! omgsh thanx soo much for the recs of the book! I’ve been becoming so interested in all kinds of photography too. Always was interested, but now with the canon I can practice fun stuff :D have a beautiful day

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — April 17, 2011 at 12:13 pm

I have a tri pod, but I never use it.

Something fun that is going on in my world … I am leaving for a week vacation to NY on Saturday!!!!!!!! Can’t wait!!!!!!

Amber K — April 17, 2011 at 2:20 pm

I don’t have a tripod, but I could definitely understand needing one to help you when you are taking those beautiful pictures!! I had a great time hanging out with my nieces and nephews :)

lauren @ spiced plate — April 17, 2011 at 2:52 pm

Wow! Averie — these look absolutely STUNNING! All your hard work is shining in these photographs. I don’t have a tripod, but it’s on my list of wishes. Something fun in my world is that I’ve decided I want to earn my certificate in Holistic Health Coaching! I’m thinking of going through IIN, which is completely at-home study — they even give you an ipod with lectures downloaded on to it. I’ve been pretty giddy thinking about it. I want to focus on helping people (like me) who have just discovered they have a food allergy and need help with menu planning, and also teaching people about the ayurvedic diet. Yeay!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — April 17th, 2011 at 5:44 pm

I have a few friends/bloggers who have done the distance program thru IIN. They have loved it. Congrats on doing it!

Paulina (One Smile Ahead) — April 17, 2011 at 6:24 pm

Wow your pictures look amazing! I’ve been into photography lately too, but sadly my camera isn’t so great. Hopefully I’ll get a new one soon as a birthday gift! :D

Alisha — April 19, 2011 at 1:26 pm

You can use lighting tripods or stands to hold your back drops. I love natural light for food.
    A dimmer on is a very valuable addition to your kit, the only thing is you have to white balance after you adjust (unless you want the orange-red hue).
    I’m really enjoying your blog, keep up the good work.