Blue

I went back to the farmers market over the weekendand saw some beautiful blue food.

Locally grown blueberries

And these blue baby artichokes just spoke to me.

Something about the teal plastic baskets, against the purple “tablecloth” with the blue artichokes in the basket, and the way the lattices of the plastic basket resemble the intricate folds of the artichoke tips, I just loved the layers of composition.  <—How’s that for over-analyzing?

But that’s how my brain and eyes see things.  And as a budding photographer, I try to see things even more so like that.

I think there’s a photo in almost anything.  And nature and food are always a great source of inspiration.

And although not technically blue, plums are pretty and in season.

And grapes are great to crunch on.

And they’re even better when they’re frozen.  Mmm, good. It’s the simple things.

And in honor of Blue (and purple) Food, how about trying:

Microwave Blueberry Banana Oat Cakes

Purple Rain Smoothie

Ginger Roasted Tri-Color Potatoes

Vegan Gluten Free Blueberry Streusel Muffins

Channel your inner Rainbow Recipe Eating and try some blue and purple food.  Or any other color.

Like Brown and White.

Thanks for the compliments on my Magic Eight Bars from my last post.  My new twist on Seven Layer Bars and yes, they are pretty magical. If you’ve never tried Seven Layer Bars/Magic Bars, you should try them.  Or my version with white chocolate chips and Heath Bar bits rather than nuts.

That’s the image that both FoodGawker and Tasteologie accepted.  I actually liked other images better, but that’s what they liked.  Go figure.

1. What was the last blue or purple food you ate?

Grapes, blueberries, and blackberries for me.

2. Did you celebrate Father’s Day Weekend?  Best thing you ate or did over the weekend?

We celebrated but very low key.  Scott had to work much of the day Saturday, and I worked both Saturday and Sunday but we squeezed in some family time which was great.

And he enjoyed the gift Skylar made for him.

The best things about my weekend were time in the kitchen to bake, eating Magic Eight Bars, making photos and playing with my camera, and being outside.

And of course being with Skylar!

P.S. Taste of Adams Avenue Giveaway ends tomorrow.

46 Responses to “Blue”

Hayley @ Oat Couture — June 20, 2011 at 9:08 am

Blueberries for me! :) And I have no idea why I thought you had more than one child?! I’ll re phrase to ‘a very happy child AND husband!’

Heather (Where's the Beach) — June 20, 2011 at 9:09 am

Those blueberries look so good and fresh. I had purple grapes on Saturday. Yum. I always forget how much I like grapes until I start nibbling on them.

Cait @ Urban Fencepost — June 20, 2011 at 9:11 am

Hi! I’m new to your blog – your delicious looking photos drew me in!
    1. The last blue thing I ate was blueberry pancakes
    2. Celebrated Father’s Day by going to brunch. The best thing I ate this weekend was by far Strawberry Shortcake!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) — June 20, 2011 at 9:22 am

Grapes and blueberries! I’m loving them right now!

Serena — June 20, 2011 at 9:23 am

What beautiful blue food! <3
    The last blue thing I ate was either a blueberry or a blackberry, but I really want to bake some blue-corn muffins.
    This post reminds me of a book I just got called "Color Me Vegan". It's written in different (color coded) sections and features recipes that are color-based. It's such a fun book with lovely pictures. The philosophy behind it is if you eat lots of different colors you get lots of different phytonutrients :)

Father's day was lovely! I went to the farmer's market with my dad & mom, and we got amazing produce & also some already-cooked food (including soy-free "tempha" which is like soy-free tempeh…basically fermented rice noodles…from a korean stall. so yummy!)

Kristina @ spabettie — June 20, 2011 at 9:32 am

Skylar is So Dang Cute! always so smiley and happy – just like mama ;)

I had blueberries this morning! :) today’s came from the store, but I have six blueberry bushes that are hopefully ready soon… I look at them every day!

have a great week!

Moni'sMeals — June 20, 2011 at 9:33 am

WOW! Great pics!

Blueberries and Red cabbage for me.

BUT Those Magic Eight Bars are next though. :) :)

Molly — June 20, 2011 at 9:49 am

beautiful photos! :) and gorgeous daughter as always!

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope — June 20, 2011 at 9:52 am

I love how you pay such close attention to details Averie! Such a great photographer’s post with all these color references! :)

I just started seeing plums out a few weeks ago and have been buying them every week since. One of my favorite summer fruits!

Lisa is Raw on $10 a Day (or Less) — June 20, 2011 at 9:58 am

I LOVE blackberries … and black raspberries (does that qualify as blue?). I didn’t do anything specific for Father’s Day, but did get to have a wonderful talk with my dad and tell him what a great father he’s been.

Wow, Skylar’s growing up!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — June 20th, 2011 at 12:06 pm

I fished out like 10 comments from you that had gone into my spam last week…so sorry, but you’re “safe” now :)

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — June 20, 2011 at 9:59 am

I’m drinking a blue smoothie right now. Blueberries! Those baby artichokes look delicious. I want to find some now and stuff them!

Sara (The Veggie Eco-Life) — June 20, 2011 at 10:00 am

I cannot even remember the last blue food I ate! There are growing some blackberries in our garden though, so those will be next ;)

Love your photos from the blueberries and artichokes! I think your photography improves day by day.

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — June 20, 2011 at 10:13 am

I love those pictures of the artichokes! Seriously – so pretty!

kris (everyday oats) — June 20, 2011 at 10:16 am

Blue is my favorite color! And I ate enough blueberries last night to pretty much turn blue :P
    Great photos, especially the artichoke one!

natasha — June 20, 2011 at 10:17 am

Beautiful photos Averie!

I ate blackberries fresh from my garden this weekend.

No dad’s day here– we are a 2 mama household (I claim mother’s day and my partner gets her “own” special day every August) with 3 kiddos but we definitely enjoyed a nice relaxing weekend. Your pictures make me wish we had hit up our farmer’s market though!

Lisa — June 20, 2011 at 10:38 am

I ate a fig….definitely purple.

Father’s day was low key for me—work, and visiting three separate parts of my family. Ended up eating lunch by the lake with my mom to celebrate my sister’s birthday/father’s day. A good reminder to relax once in a while!

Lesley Lifting Life — June 20, 2011 at 11:00 am

Beautiful artichoke pictures!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — June 20, 2011 at 11:01 am

Such beautiful produce!!!! I love, love, love summer-sweet blueberries!

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit — June 20, 2011 at 11:18 am

Blue foods = higher phytonutrients = healthy life! GO BLUE! All of the produce looks delicious!

cathy — June 20, 2011 at 11:24 am

fresh blueberries! and they were on sale!
    i’ve never tried frozen grapes – must get on that for july + august…
    i really like that photo that foodgawker chose – what does it for me is the three-dimensional aspect – the squares in the tower seem to be coming out of the photo at you…right into your mouth, haha!

Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free — June 20, 2011 at 11:45 am

Woah. Purple artichokes? Never seen any before! But I LOVE artichokes, so I will have to look for them…

Aja — June 20, 2011 at 11:48 am

Oh my goodness now I really want blueberries

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — June 20, 2011 at 12:21 pm

I am a grape fanatic. I actually have a hard time not eating all of them in one go, which my stomach is NEVER a fan of!

Christine (The Raw Project) — June 20, 2011 at 12:55 pm

Great pics, did you get the artichokes? Never tried blue ones before, wondered what they taste like.

1. Frozen organic blueberries in my smoothie this morning.
    2. Nope, it was a quiet weekend. My dad is not too huge into celebrating it, so I chipped in on a gift with my sisters.

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — June 20, 2011 at 1:13 pm

I bought blueberries today! They’re not local, but they were on sale foe $1.99 a pint. I’m making blueberry cobbler. :)

Katie — June 20, 2011 at 1:28 pm

I ate a few purple grapes this morning, but I’m not a big grape fan. Give me melon over grapes any day! But I really want blackberries. Which are really more purple than black, but whatever.

@HilaryFleming — June 20, 2011 at 1:53 pm

I’m jonesing for those taters…yum. I love veggies and yoga too! Your blog is great.

katie @ KatieDid — June 20, 2011 at 2:03 pm

cool artichokes! I’ve never seen those, but there are a few foods I’ve seen that have purple twins too, like blue sweet potatoes. It’s been too long since I’ve eaten a purple food, I guess I had some frozen berries in a smoothie yesterday but I have to get on that! Too many fresh purple fruits right now to enjoy.

Maris (in Good Taste) — June 20, 2011 at 3:07 pm

Your pictures are really fantastic! Last blue thing I ate was blueberries of course!!

Kath (My Funny Little Life) — June 20, 2011 at 3:54 pm

Aww, all these wonderful blue foods! I’m totally craving blueberries now … (I almost bought some today, but then didn’t because I still had strawberries to finish off – tomorrow! :D)

The Delicate Place — June 20, 2011 at 4:04 pm

bloobs aka blueberries :) i went to lunch with my fam yesterday to celebrate father’s day and it was a really good visit! my little brother got engaged on sat night!! so exciting :) best thing i did was go to a glass factory gallery show, so cool and very talented glassworkers!

Jess@HealthyExposures — June 20, 2011 at 6:05 pm

i feel like we would get along well. i can’t tell you how often i see something through my “camera eye” that looks so…normal…to the human eye. i’ll be out and about and just all of a sudden be like “wow, just LOOK at this LIGHT right now!” or “LOOK at the COLORS of this!” and “this would make a wonderful photograph!” haha. ahhh, well. I’m used to the eyerolls by now ;)
    Loving all your blue foods! I’ve got my strawberries in season now, but since I can never be happy with what I have, now I just can’t wait for blueberry picking :P

Olivia Bowen — June 20, 2011 at 7:08 pm

You may have mentioned this somewhere, but I haven’t been able to find it. Which San Diego farmer’s market is it that you love so much? As I told you on Twitter, we’re moving to SD in the fall, and one of our considerations is being near an amazing farmer’s market. We’re looking at the Hillcrest area. Any advice would be hugely appreciated. Thanks, Averie!

Jos — June 20, 2011 at 8:55 pm

Purple yams are my favorite “blue” food :D

Amber K — June 21, 2011 at 9:35 am

I actually don’t like many blue/purple foods, although grapes are definitely best from the freezer, mmm. Although I don’t like them totally frozen. I put them in there for about 30-45 minutes and they are perfect!

I try to add blueberries to my smoothies though. I know they are good for me and I have found that it’s pretty hard to make a smoothie that is just plain awful, no matter what I add!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — June 22, 2011 at 8:55 pm

I made blackberry banana soft serve this morning and it was a nice purple colour!