Nutella & Peanut Butter Graham Bars with Chocolate Frosting

I love peanut butter.  And I love Nutella.  Two great loves of my life.

And these bars combine those two loves.

The finished product is like eating the inside part of a Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup that’s been spiked with a bit of Nutella.

All coated with chocolate frosting.

Make no mistake: It’s very fast and easy to get Project Ooh and Ahh going.

They are no-bake, and no mixer is required.  In just a few minutes and you’ll be oohing and ahhing, too.

[print_this]

For the chocolate frosting:

1.5 c chocolate chips

1/4 c butter

1/4 c cream or milk

1/2 c powdered sugar

1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Directions: In a large microwave safe bowl, melt the butter.  Then add the brown sugar, powdered sugar, vanilla extract and stir by hand until combined (will look lumpy and strange).  Then add the graham cracker crumbs and stir until combined.  Finally, add the Nutella and peanut butter and stir until combined.   Press the mixture into a sprayed 9 x 9 pan (for thinner bars, use a 9 x 13 pan but I prefer thicker bars).  Place in freezer.

While the bars are cooling, make the chocolate frosting by melting the chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl, taking care not to scorch them and checking every 15-30 seconds or so.   After the chocolate chips are melted add in butter and cream and stir to incorporate.  Then add powdered sugar and vanilla extract and stir to incorporate.  If mixture becomes too thick to work with and the chocolate begins to set up, microwaving it again for 15 seconds will soften it.

When the frosting is ready, remove the bars from the freezer, frost them, and put bars back into the freezer to set up for a half hour before slicing them.

I store my sliced bars in the freezer or fridge in an airtight container and take them out about 20 minutes prior to eating.  As they come up to room temperature, the flavor intensifies and they are more delicious and creamy but they will keep for weeks/months in the freezer as a make-ahead dessert.

Notes & Substitutions:

To make this vegan, replace all butter and cream with margarine and almond or soy milk.  Rather than using Nutella use all peanut butter, use chocolate peanut butter that is vegan-safe, or add some cocoa powder to the nut butter of your choice.

To make this gluten free, use GF graham cracker crumbs.

If you don’t like Nutella, don’t have it, have a peanut allergy, want to use different ratios or types of nut butters, etc. feel free to try them.  More than likely most substitutions will work just fine.  You’re looking for approximately 1 to 1.5 cups of nut butter, total, in whatever type and combination you prefer.

[/print_this]

A Visual Guide

First melt the butter in a microwave-safe bowl

Add in the sugars & stir

Then add the graham cracker crumbs & stir

Then, add in the Nutella and PB & Stir

Didn’t I tell you, these were calorie free?

The bowl weighed about 5 pounds at this point. Butter, sugar, graham cracker crumbs, Nutella & PB. What’s not to love?

Press the mixture into the sprayed pan and freeze.

Make and apply the chocolate frosting, and put the whole thing back into the freezer to set up for a half hour or so.

The finished bars are rich, decadent, fattening, sweet, peanut buttery with a hint of Nutella, too.  Everything I want in a dessert.

I don’t want “healthy” desserts.

I want these.

It’s like the bar version of a Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup.  The graham cracker crumbs, combined with the sugar, butter, and Nutella, make a really close approximation of a Reese’s PB Cup.

And that’s a beautiful thing.

This is the type of dessert I’d recommend cutting the pieces fairly small.  They are like lead balloons of sugar and butter and nut butter in your belly, which is wonderful.  And filling.

But suit yourself and cut them big, by all means!

This recipe looks longer and far more complicated than it is.  It took me longer to type this up than make these bars.  Truly, a 5-minute special of active prep time.  I was just being extra thorough with the directions and notes based on questions I anticipate receiving.

Similar & Related Recipe Suggestions:

If you like Peanut Butter, check out my entire section of Peanut Butter Recipes

If you like Chocolate, check out my Chocolate Recipes

If you like Chocolate + PB, try Raw Vegan Peanut Butter Cups

If you like Nutella, check out my Fudgy Nutella Brownies with Cream Cheese Frosting

If you like Peanut Butter + Chocolate + In Bar Form, check out No Bake Nutter Butter & Special K Bars with Chocolate Frosting

and No Bake Special K Bars with Chocolate Frosting

From my last post featuring our Aruba Vacation Highlights, thanks for saying it was fun for you to see.  It was fun for me to post!  And I loved hearing about your favorite vacation memories and stories.

Questions

1. Best thing you’ve ate or done so far this weekend?

These bars rank right up there and Sunday I plan to take lots of pictures.  I love planning and scheduling photo-making time for myself.  It’s like a date with myself and my camera. It’s such a nice thing for me to have that penciled in on my mental calendar and I look forward to it but it’s weather dependent so we shall see.

2. Do you like Nutella? Peanut Butter?  Chocolate?

If you say no, I may question your sanity.

3. Any favorite desserts you’ve had lately?

P.S. If you’re just catching up on posts from the weekend, here are mine since Friday

117 Responses to “Nutella & Peanut Butter Graham Bars with Chocolate Frosting”

Kristina @ spabettie — June 11, 2011 at 8:07 pm

Mmm – peanut butter and chocolate is simply a classic, adding nutella and graham? genius. these look great!

the best part of my weekend? I am finally home, if only for a short while. my standing Sunday lunch date with my dad happens tomorrow, and I’m looking forward to it.

hope you are having a great weekend, enjoy your camera date! :D

Christin@purplebirdblog — June 11, 2011 at 8:09 pm

You are seriously becoming the dessert queen of the blogosphere, I’m telling you!! Outdoing yourself with each and every recipe. If I could afford it right now, I’d be on a plane in a heartbeat to enjoy your delightful company and your badass desserts! ;)

Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life — June 11, 2011 at 8:11 pm

These look amazing, Averie!! YUMMM! :-D

Holly @ The Runny Egg — June 11, 2011 at 8:11 pm

I love nutella and PB and chocolate — these look amazing! And your pictures look fantastic too!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — June 11th, 2011 at 8:25 pm

thank you Holly!

and for your praise on my last post, too, that it shows that I do put time into my posts. Thank you for saying that :)

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn — June 11, 2011 at 8:24 pm

I am drooooling. WHERE DID YOU FIND THAT GORGEOUS BOWL?!

Ilana — June 11, 2011 at 8:31 pm

I want all of everything you posted. PB and nutella? YES PLEASE RIGHT NOW. When I was in Thailand I ate a crepe with Nutella and banana every day for breakfast (in hindsight I called my mom complaining about how crappy I was feeling almost every week when I was over there…)

best thing I did this weekend – submitted an app to a 200 hour RYS summer intensive training :) Yay!! Best thing I ate- gluten free chocolate cupcake from Babycakes. I’m so in love with those, I make a weekly trip and splurge. Yum.

Michele Sparrow — June 11, 2011 at 8:47 pm

OMG. Seriously, those bars look absolutely scrumptious!! I love chocolate and peanut butter together and the heavier and denser the better. I am making those tomorrow for my boys! They will be soooo happy! I gotta say, Averie, the thing I love about your recipes is that 1) they are simple and easy to make and 2) the taste is not compromised due to #1! Thank you for your yummy posts! :-)

Best thing I ate this weekend? Some steamed broccoli combined with a delicious salad, all sprinkled with nutritional yeast! YUM!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — June 11th, 2011 at 9:11 pm

regarding 1. yes I have a life and not all of it is spent in the kitchen :) nor is MOST people’s…so I try to keep things easy :)

and 2. yes. Why bother even making anything if it’s not stellar.

And i love how you go from steamed broc/nooch to desserts like i do!

Michelle @ From Seed To Tree — June 11, 2011 at 8:50 pm

Best part of my weekend so far has been taking some pictures along the railways here in Kitchener, Ontario. I experimented with different settings on my camera – and that was a lot of fun!

• cathy replied: — June 12th, 2011 at 3:00 am

cool! i’m in waterloo! :)

Jaime — June 11, 2011 at 8:51 pm

LOVE this post. Loving your blog lately in general. The food, the photographs, the fun. I feel happier every time I visit :)

and I love me some peanut butter and chocolate (combined or by themselves), but strangely enough I do not like nutella. weird, I know….

I think my favorite dessert will always be (vegan) ice cream

katie @ KatieDid — June 11, 2011 at 9:19 pm

wow YUM! nutella, pb, choc yes yes yes!
    this weekend has included lots of crazy waitressing shifts, a farmers market, tons of samples and sales at a cheese and wine shop (! so fun), and lots of time with friends. IT’s been a good one so far. Enjoy your day with the camera tomorrow, I also LOVE planning days like that.

Katie — June 11, 2011 at 9:46 pm

And this is why I love you: “the inside part of a Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup that’s been spiked with a bit of Nutella”

You have truly outdone yourself with this recipe. Seriously. My mom and I are sitting down tomorrow to decide what to make for my grad party next weekend and I think i know what to make for dessert.

Baking 'n' Books — June 11, 2011 at 9:58 pm

Your description of it is mouth-watering. I don’t think I could (should) keep these around though…it’s too tempting and I have serious self-control issues with sugar and chocolate :(

I used to be obsessed with PB! I never thought I’d “get off it” – but I tried Almond butter about a year ago – thinking that I wouldn’t like it as much and be able to break my addictions….um, not so much – turns out I love Almond Butter even BETTER!

Yikes! Cashew butter and Sunflower seed are other faves.

Tasha @ Voracious — June 11, 2011 at 10:00 pm

OH MY GOODNESS! I think I’ve said this about a billion times about things on your blog but these are the best things I’ve ever seen. You must have read my mind because peanut butter + nutella are two of my very favorite things too! And these look so dense and rich and utterly amazing. Averie, you have outdone yourself.

Emily @ Comfortable Home Life — June 11, 2011 at 10:06 pm

Um. I’m pretty sure you just invented the best thing in the world. Peanut butter? Chocolate? Grahams? Nutella? Is there seriously anything better? Nutella actually brought my BFF and I together! I spotted her in her college dorm room holding a jar and I immediately barged in the room and introduced myself. We then proceeded to bond over the amazingness that is Nutella. Never underestimate the power of chocolate!

Gina — June 11, 2011 at 11:10 pm

I’m craving these so hard right now. I need them, like asap. Peanut butter and nutella are my two greatest loves. My name is written all over them!

Hope all is well :)

O.C. — June 12, 2011 at 12:12 am

Best thing I’ve done this weekend is sleep in, get an amazing run in and spend time with my bf :)
    And yes of course I love PB and chocolate. But not as much as I love coconut!

Cecilia — June 12, 2011 at 2:31 am

Unreal. Oh my god. But I love it!! You certainly don’t see desserts like this in the health foodie blog-o-sphere, which is rather sad. But I must say though, my favourite way to eat nutella is straight up, with a spoon :D

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — June 12th, 2011 at 3:01 am

“You certainly don’t see desserts like this in the health foodie blog-o-sphere, which is rather sad”– agreed and it’s why I don’t label myself a health food blogger and why I read lots of baking blogs…at least I get to see things like this :)

VeggieGirl — June 12, 2011 at 2:53 am

OH. MY. GOODNESS. GRACIOUS. I love peanut butter, Nutella, and chocolate too – you know that ;) Sensational bars.

Best thing I did this weekend = danced in a showcase yesterday with Suave Slav. 24 dances. So much fun and with energy to spare since I take care of myself now.

cathy — June 12, 2011 at 3:03 am

there’s my favourite bowl again!!
    “Project Ooh and Ahh” – – > awesome. i know you’re progressing into photography more and more, but your writing still draws me in, averie!
    great work on the bars. they look amazing. can you believe i have never purchased nutella in my entire life (so embarrassed) – we just never grew up with it, and while peanut butter is a staple, i’ve never gone down the nutella path…gotta fix that!
    happy sunday!

Sarah @ Run Sqrl, Run! — June 12, 2011 at 3:59 am

I’m drooling over these. I’m adding them to my must make list because peanut butter, Nutella and chocolate are some of the best things in life. Your dessert recipes always look so amazing!

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope — June 12, 2011 at 4:27 am

I’ve actually never tried Nutella! I’m in love with peanut butter, and when it’s mixed with chocolate, I’m definitely a chocolate fan. ;) This recipe looks AMAZING. I’m sure the whole family loved it!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine — June 12, 2011 at 5:24 am

These look AMAZING. I was actually going to make something with Nutella in it for my friend’s birthday tonight, but she requested red velvet, so I’m delivering. But that’s okay, because when I finally do many these I can keep them all for MYSELF!

I’ve loved Nutella since it’s pre-US days, when we used to bring back jars from France. That stuff is like the nectar of the Gods.

Steve — June 12, 2011 at 5:45 am

OMG, these deserts look really good. I getting a sweet tooth just looking at them. And to think I can use Nutella and be healthy. That is a plus. Thanks for the recipes. Now I can keep my weight down.

Heather (Where's the Beach) — June 12, 2011 at 6:19 am

Can you believe I’ve never tried nutella? so far I’ve been enjoying a weekend filled with family and friends. That trumps any food I’ve eaten ;-)

kristina@beancakes — June 12, 2011 at 6:40 am

oh my gosh these look good! i am so making them soon and yes i LOVE nutella & pb. best thing i’ve done this week-end so far is probably hanging out with family on state street! have a great rest of the week-end!
    xo~ kristina

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — June 12th, 2011 at 3:20 pm

fished tons of your comments to me out of my spam yesterday…you’re all good now on my site :)

• kristina@beancakes replied: — June 12th, 2011 at 6:08 pm

oh okay, awesome!! thanks for letting me know ;)
        xo ~ kristina

Kelsey @ Snacking Squirrel — June 12, 2011 at 7:07 am

and perfectly timed because IT’S YOUR BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!! <3 <3 HAPPY BIRTHDAY gorgeous goddess <3

Brooke — June 12, 2011 at 7:24 am

No bake, no mix, huh?

I’m in!

Brooke Annessa

Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free — June 12, 2011 at 7:41 am

I love chocolate and I love peanut butter, but I can’t do nutella. too sweet. I like making my own, though by mixing unsweetened chocolate with nutbutter! YUMMY!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — June 12th, 2011 at 3:21 pm

fished tons of your comments to me out of my spam yesterday…you’re all good now :) not sure why some were in there and some not, but you’re out now.

Stephanie — June 12, 2011 at 7:43 am

Oh my. Those are absolutely beautiful.

Andrea (Run. Learn. Repeat.) — June 12, 2011 at 8:28 am

I think I’ll have to surprise my husband with these on Father’s Day next Sunday! We are both Nutella, peanut butter, and chocolate fans, but he’s the one that introduced me to Nutella. I’m pretty sure I’ll score some points with this recipe! Thanks!

Amber K — June 12, 2011 at 9:08 am

I love the combination of chocolate and peanut butter. But to be honest, I have actually never tried Nutella! I’m not a fan of Filberts (hazelnuts, whatevs) , so I don’t know if I’d like it! But it’s mixed with chocolate, so that’s gotta mean it’s good, right?? Because these bars look soooo good!

I went to a 90th birthday party yesterday and today my husband and I are going to the zoo before hunkering down and actually getting some chores and food prep done. That part won’t be the most fun, but it’s gotta be done!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — June 12th, 2011 at 3:22 pm

honestly it tastes NOTHING like hazelnuts, imo.

hazelnuts taste dirty to me. this does not. at all :)

• Amber K replied: — June 12th, 2011 at 4:15 pm

Ooh, that’s definitely a good sign!!

The Delicate Place — June 12, 2011 at 9:19 am

wow those look…sweet haha! you know, i like the idea of nutella and i favor justin’s choco-hazelnut spread because it’s not too sweet but the real nutella kinda makes me feel tooth rot and a little sick! i had a spiked bourbon caramel sea salt milkshake last night…wow! so good!

Serena — June 12, 2011 at 9:49 am

Peanut butter + nutella = heaven, probably. :)
    I love nutella. So much that I used to over-do it all the time and feel really sick. :P But I’m better about that, now..
    One of my faves is nutella inside a thin crepe with sliced bananas (that aren’t too sweet yet).

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — June 12, 2011 at 9:50 am

These kind of remind me of buckeyes but the nutella puts it over the top! They looks absolutely decadent!

Amanda Jewell — June 12, 2011 at 10:10 am

OMG those bars are H U G E !!!!
    Nutella + Peanut Butter > Peanut Butter & Jelly

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit — June 12, 2011 at 10:12 am

There’s nothing like combining your two loves… these look GREAT!

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — June 12, 2011 at 11:00 am

I think Dustin would LOVE these bars!!! I know i would! Oh my lawd, they sound incredible. I might have to try them, for Dustin, of course. ;)

The pics are awesome! Hope they were accepted, I’d be shocked if they weren’t.

mi-an — June 12, 2011 at 1:05 pm

may i greet you here too?? happy birthday!!! i made that cake batter no bake with chocolate frosting…soo good but so sweet too. what else you think i can use besides the condensed milk? bc i love cake batter!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — June 12th, 2011 at 1:11 pm

Just a splash of milk then or cream. You just need the dough to stick together. You are using such a very *small* amt of sweetened cond milk I really just recommend using that but if you must, then sub out and use cream or even almond milk :)

Alicia — June 12, 2011 at 1:15 pm

Now I remember what I was going to do today, MAKE THESE!!!!

Get Skinny, Go Vegan. — June 12, 2011 at 1:33 pm

Best thing I ate. Organic Cherry Tomatoes by the Pint & Organic Purple Grapes.
    Both a little bit on sale. Some Flackers & Baba Ganoush.

Ragnhild — June 12, 2011 at 2:01 pm

Ah, Averie- these photos are beautiful, and the recipe makes me so hungry! Sounds just perfect!

Ive had a great weekend. All though I have been working, I have spent so much time with my friends- which is always great. Ive also had a few runs, and enjoyed the sunny weather!

Suzanne Williams — June 12, 2011 at 2:36 pm

I love nutella and peanut butter. For some reason I had never heard of Nutella in NC (where I’m from). After living in Italy for 5months, I discovered it and absolutely can’t live w/o it. I enjoy peanut butter as well. I have a 1/2 piece of toast of Nutella and Almond butter every morning w/ my cereal. Yum! Also, enjoyed the Aruba posts, I have never thought of Aruba to visit much, but now I really want to go.
    Suzanne

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather — June 12, 2011 at 2:39 pm

Your pictures look amazing Averie! Love the pink you added to the shots. Nutella and PB?! Seriously 2 of my favorite things. I don’t see how you can go wrong. Knock out treat girl!

Laury @thefitnessdish — June 12, 2011 at 3:05 pm

Wow. Those bars look AMAZINGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!

Beautiful photos!!!!

ps—Happy Birthday, gorgeous :-)

kris (everyday oats) — June 12, 2011 at 3:05 pm

umm YUMM much?? You always have the best combinations to make sweet treats even better! Beautiful photography btw!!

Moni'sMeals — June 12, 2011 at 3:49 pm

Bless you and this recipe!!
    You know I am going to make these… Yes I already checked that I have everything I need, they are staples really for me. ;)

Happy bday too. :)

Jess — June 12, 2011 at 3:52 pm

Nutella and pb= my snack almost every night for the past week and a half..LOVE IT!!

Aja — June 12, 2011 at 3:53 pm

Oh my goodness. If I still had Nuspli I wouldn’t be typing this because I’d be in the kitchen.
    I had a Rainforest Cafe volcano yesterday in celebration of my boyfriend graduating.

Ashley — June 12, 2011 at 5:00 pm

These seriously look amazing. I have been known to eat an entire tub of nutella with a spoon in one sitting.

Christine (The Raw Project) — June 12, 2011 at 5:31 pm

Wow, these look great, but like lead balloons too. :-P Awesome job. And great dessert inspiration.

1. Moved mountains on our office and ate brunch at an amazing vegan restaurant.
    2. Truthfully I’ve never tried Nutella. But yes on PB and chocolate!
    3. My hemp seed fudge balls! Best of both worlds, decadent an healthy. :-)