What I

I know some people are into What I Ate Wednesday’s.

But I thought it would be fun to provide you with some other What I’s

What I wish I was doing today: Being at the opening day of Del Mar Racetrack

Oh to be there amongst the ladies who lunch and the gentlemen who pay for it all.  Complete with a fabulous hat which is a nearly bligatory tradition on opening day.

That would be fabulous but isn’t happening today.  I have to work.

We went to the track last season and had a great day at our trackside table.

Skylar loved it.

So did I.

What I worked out with today:  My legs.  No fancy gym equipment required.  I went for a 3 mile run in my new neighborhood

What I bought last: Gasoline for my car.  Overpriced.

What I won’t be buying again any time soon: These nuts.  They are amazing.  A little too amazing.

I ate the entire bag in a day and paid the price for the next five.  My gut + nuts = recipe for disaster.  Let’s just say that as much as I feel I have healed my gut and am less sensitive overall with my food allergy issues, going to town on a bag of nuts is never a good idea for me.  Period.

But I will savor the spicy, limey, amazing memories of them.  Until I forget how crappy I felt and try them again.  Which may be in about a year or so.  Sigh.

What I wish I didn’t have to spend time doing:  Change of address forms from our move.  Tedious but a necessity.

What I would buy if I had extra money: Camera lenses

What I would buy without needing much extra money: Thrift store dishes

And boy, I love thrifting for cheapie but beautiful dishes!  The thrill of the hunt is almost as fun as the dishes!

What I really want to tell people: Get over yourself.  You are not that special.  You are just one of about 10 million others and we all share the planet.  Stop acting like you are all that and a bag of chocolate coconut kale chips.  We all put our pants on one leg at a time.  No divas, please.

What I ate for a midnight snack: A bowl of popcorn with nooch + stevia

Popcorn recipes & versions here

What I drank last: water

What dessert I ate last:  A new one!  I’m not telling you about it yet.

But the dessert I ate before that was a Nutella & Peanut Butter Graham Bars with Chocolate Frosting (No Bake)

Make these and just freeze them and take out a square or two as needed.  <– Which for me, could be almost every day.

What made me cry last:  I was moved to happy tears by reading an eloquent recap of a blogging event where the sense of community and camaraderie was palpable and present.  It sounded like an event with great learning and growth for all who attended.  It was Evo ’11 and I am sorry I was in Mexico City while it was held or I would have gone.

What I smiled because of lately: My bonding afternoon with Skylar

and my bonding afternoon with Marla

From my last post, it was interesting to hear how many clicks you take to get the right photo.  Most of us like to click til we get it just right.  As predicted.

And I am so happy many of you wrote about the girl time and gabfests you have with your friends.  So important!

Fill in the blanks

What I : __________________.

and

What I : __________________.

Thanks for the glass straw giveaway entriesYou all are really wanting to slurp!

48 Responses to “What I”

Jackie Smith — July 20, 2011 at 1:29 pm

What I did to challenge myself today: Walked at a 10% incline on the treadmill. I’m proud of myself for that.

What I’m looking forward to tonight: Taking a long walk with a dear friend–girl time gabfest!

Holly @ The Runny Egg — July 20, 2011 at 1:37 pm

What I am drinking right now: a diet pepsi. A coworker offered it to me and it sounded so refreshing. And it is!

What I would buy if I had extra money: a trip somewhere. I want to take a vacation!

Katie — July 20, 2011 at 1:37 pm

What I didn’t do today: feel guilty about working from home instead of my office.

What I hate about the midwest: humidity.

Kristina @ spabettie — July 20, 2011 at 1:40 pm

what I Really Want To Know: oooh, what prompted the no divas. ;)

what I wish I were doing right now: sitting in a hot tub or a hot steam room (I’m achey today)

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather — July 20, 2011 at 1:51 pm

What I wish I had to much on this afternoon… No bake cookies!

What I really want to be doing… Walking with the hubs + pup in the sunshine.

What a fun change on the normal wiaw! I loved reading each of them. Lucky lady getting to spend time with Marla!

Jenn L @ Peas and Crayons — July 20, 2011 at 1:55 pm

This looks like a super charge WIAW wednesday to me ;) haha it has it all! <3 Totally still linking you up to the party!

what I just inhaled: a ranch-y flax-y veggie salad

what I still can't figure out: my DSLR (bahaha!)

love ya!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — July 20th, 2011 at 2:01 pm

glad you saw this!

I wasnt sure if you would but glad you did :)

DSLRs are a WORK in progress! haha!

Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free — July 20, 2011 at 1:59 pm

Eating too many nuts sucks….I’ve done it, too…on multiple occasions (you think I would learn my lesson?) But….maybe you can make a yummy lime chili combo on some other type of food? Maybe chili lime kale chips? That would be good.

What I ate last: Miso soup

What I coughed up last: you don’t want to know (tmi?)

katie @ KatieDid — July 20, 2011 at 2:55 pm

What I am looking forward to this evening: going out for drinks and half priced burgers followed by bowling with friends!

What I purchased today: lots of bowls, silverware, and linens from a thrift store for $5!

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — July 20, 2011 at 3:04 pm

What I like is this: “What I really want to tell people: Get over yourself. You are not that special. You are just one of about 10 million others and we all share the planet. Stop acting like you are all that and a bag of chocolate coconut kale chips. We all put our pants on one leg at a time. No divas, please.” = SO TRUE!

What I want is something dessert-y in this thread. Everything looks sooo good!

Nuts = colic inducers, especially on empty tummies. I don’t think most people can eat them in large amounts without feeling it. Always worth a try, though! haha

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — July 20th, 2011 at 5:59 pm

i swear other people have guts of steel…they eat beans and nuts like they are going out of style. Not.Me. I just can’t!

Brittany — July 20, 2011 at 3:24 pm

Ohh girrrl, I have the same problem with TJ’s wasabi almonds. I just can’t stop. Fortunately I haven’t gotten sick from them yet, but I have paced myself a bit.

What I am doing today: Enjoying my day off from work, amazing food, 4mile run, and potentially baking some cookies later!

What I need more of: Rocket chocolates! Caffeine boost in a chocolate coated shell. It’s crack for chocolate lovers.

Kate — July 20, 2011 at 4:40 pm

Do you come up with these desserts yourself or are they from some fabulous cookbook that I should probably own? Those look AMAAAAZZZZZZZZING!!! Can you just make me desserts every day please? They always make my mouth water!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — July 20th, 2011 at 5:58 pm

100% original content on all my recipes unless I say adapted from, which is very infrequent (less than 5% of the time)

I would love for a book deal to fall in my lap…but shopping book proposals, nah, that sounds like hella lotta work :)

Jenny (VintageSugarcube) — July 20, 2011 at 5:09 pm

What I wish I could have done today is to have gone to the races instead of working. :(

Cute, cute pic of you and your girl friend!! :)

Maris(In Good Taste) — July 20, 2011 at 5:20 pm

What I did today was go to 2 kickboxing classes!

Jess@HealthyExposures — July 20, 2011 at 5:24 pm

I love this!! I hope you didn’t have too many run-ins with obnoxious “I’m everything” people, though :X
    What I last ate: popcorn + brown sugar+ salt+ bbq seasoning!

what i’m excited for: a “field trip” tomorrow.

Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles — July 20, 2011 at 5:26 pm

I love your “what I wish I could tell people!” I also just posted about a new lens I want :)

What I am excited for this weekend: Hiking with my parents

What I’m excited for tonight: my bigggg bowl of oats that running’s letting me have!

Ashley — July 20, 2011 at 5:56 pm

What a beautiful running path!

What I’m looking forward to: spending the weekend in Charlotte with friends!

Carey @ Positively Blonde — July 20, 2011 at 6:05 pm

Last thing I laughed at… “Stop acting like you are all that and a bag of chocolate coconut kale chips.” lol

Juliette — July 20, 2011 at 6:16 pm

What I really wish I could be doing: hiking in the mountains & getting some pics of that golden light instead of working.

What I want to eat right now: some of those No Bake Nutella & Peanut Butter Graham Bars with Chocolate Frosting. Looks so good.

Erin @ Big Girl Feats — July 20, 2011 at 6:25 pm

Ugh, diva-ish is the worst -ish! I would also add that Debbie Downer’s are equally as sad and unfortunate!

What I wish I could do is hire a designer to makeover my blog! Instead I’ll settle for my awesome friend and his knowledge of CSS (and many hours of trolling the internet for forums).

What I am so glad for right now is my bed! Yes, at 9:30pm. Rebel.

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} — July 20, 2011 at 6:41 pm

What I wish I had more of: time.

What I love about blogs: when the author is honest. (like you are!)

Brooke — July 20, 2011 at 7:06 pm

What I am doing tonight: Getting in a bubble bath to help my tummy ache.

What I am waiting on: A referral for our baby girl!!!

Brooke Annessa

Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) — July 20, 2011 at 7:17 pm

Gosh, I wish my runs were as scenic as yours!

What I … am watching: Food Network, of course :)

What I … should be doing: SLEEPING! Goodnight!

sophia — July 20, 2011 at 7:31 pm

Marla is such a fun and sweet girl, isn’t she? Gorgeous, too. :-)

What I need today: a hug from my parents, because I’m starting to get darts of depressions about my internship.
    What I want to do today: read my NYT paper front-to-back with a cup of iced coffee.

Hannah @ theflexitarianeater — July 20, 2011 at 7:50 pm

Hahaha LOVE the line about ladies who lunch and gentlemen who pay for it. Sums up the races crowd oh so well (i also live in the area).

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — July 20th, 2011 at 8:34 pm

it takes someone who lives in this area and who knows del mar and really much of san diego county to fully appreciate that little one liner but glad you caught it.

and hi to a fellow local!

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit — July 20, 2011 at 8:42 pm

I had this same convo with one of my friends at the office today!
    What I… wish I did today was sit on the balcony, sip on lemonade and read a book. mmm

Ali @ Urbanfruitbat — July 20, 2011 at 9:30 pm

I’m sorry to hear about your tummy! I do the same thing. Eat to much of something, feel aweful, but then eat it again later when I forget how awful I felt. What I ate today- tonnes of fruit. What I did today- work and yoga!

Kristin @ STUFT Mama — July 20, 2011 at 10:05 pm

LOVE this post Averie! What I DID do today was go to opening day. It was CROWDED. What I wish I would’ve done today was just relax at home with my boys. Your run in your neighborhood looks amazing! What scenery! I’m jealous. :)

Michaela — July 21, 2011 at 4:58 am

what I did today: go for a long walk with my aupair children and realize once more how littleyou need to entertain kids!
    what I am looking forward to: an interview at PETA for an internship!
    btw: Skylar´s hair is soooo long!

shelly (cookies and cups) — July 21, 2011 at 8:24 am

Love your site!!
    What I should be doing right now is laundry.
    What I wish I was doing right now is making those Nutella/PB bars! YUM!!

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — July 21, 2011 at 8:58 am

What I wish I was doing today: Sitting on a beach, getting a golden tan and playing in the ocean

What I wish I was eating today: A burger & fries. Possibly with a shake on the side :)

Christine (The Raw Project) — July 21, 2011 at 9:19 am

The track does sound fun … anything sounds more fun that work this week. :-P D’oh on the nuts, they look awesome, but my tummy probably wouldn’t think so after snacking on them.

What I did for exercise – run and Bowflex routine.
    What I wish I was doing – relaxing on the beach.

Amber K — July 21, 2011 at 9:28 am

What I am thinking about trying is going dairy-free. I think it might really help my gut heal. The problem is finding more replacements for the things I love without being able to use soy or too many nuts. I already have to be gluten-free, do I really have to cut more stuff out? Eh, apparently.

What I am dreaming of is moving. I know you just did it and it sucks, but I am sooo done living in apartments I’m going insane.

Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers — July 21, 2011 at 10:43 am

What I wish I had more of: time in the day!

What I would fill that time with: longer less stressful workouts and reading/writing!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — July 21, 2011 at 11:04 am

What I ate today: Yogurt with PB and blueberries

What I am happy about today: I handed in my last assignment, and did my last big presentation for my summer class. I have nothing to worry about now until I go back to work at the end of August :-)

Baking N Books — July 21, 2011 at 7:44 pm

“Get over yourself”! Hah! Love that one :) That should be on a t-shirt!

Ah – yes the nuts lol ! Well – of course! I think anyone’s stomach would hate them if they ate the entire bag girl – not just yours!! Alas, a huge weakness of mine as well. It’s often all or nothing.

Susan — July 22, 2011 at 2:57 pm

Loved this post :)

What I’m craving lately: salty meats and bread, all savoury, no sweet. Yup, the chemo has gotten rid of my sweet tooth!

What I loved today: Getting out of the house and chatting with the hair dresser while getting my hair “did” :)

Sarah — November 2, 2012 at 3:30 pm

too many nuts kill my tummy and it seems i can only eat pistachios – the other nuts give me a migraine :( so sad especially about nut butter!