Coconut Oil Fried Cinnamon Sugar & Ginger Plantains

When in Rome, do as the Romans.

When in the Caribbean

…Make plantains.

Never had a plantain?  I’d describe it as a heartier banana that almost borders on the texture of a sweet potato, sliced and fried similarly.

In fact, plantains are often used as the potato or pasta of the Caribbean because they are starchy.

The way I prepared them was a little sweet from the cinnamon and sugar and the flavor of the coconut oil seeped into them perfectly.

So the next time you see these in the market, don’t fear them.

Know that the inside is lovely and you can wind up with these.  And they are so good.  Just trust me on this one.

[print_this]

Coconut Oil Fried Cinnamon Sugar & Ginger Plantains (vegan, gluten free)

2 plantains

Coconut Oil

2 tbsp white sugar

1 tsp cinnamon

1 tsp ginger

Directions:  Peel the plantains and slice the flesh about 1/8th inch thick.  Add enough coconut oil to the bottom of a skillet, heat it up, and fry the plantains about 90 seconds on each side.  Remove plantain slices from the oil and lay them on paper towels to blot excess oil.

While the plantains are cooling, combine sugar, cinnamon, and ginger in a small bowl.  Add the plantains to the bowl, tossing with your hands to coat the slices before serving.

Extras will keep in an airtight container at room temperature for a day or two.  Not necessarily “ideal” but still okay a day (or two) later.

Optional:

Omit cinnamon-sugar-ginger coating and try a savory coating

Dip them in something (based on what kind of spices you used in your recipe) such as: a yogurt-based dip, ketchup, honey, ranch or Blue Cheese dressing, or smear them with extra coconut oil or butter, or make honey butter or honey coconut oil.

I suspect a agave or honey-cream cheese-cinnamon-sugar dip would have been perfect with the recipe I used today (1/4 c cream cheese, 2 tbsp honey, 1 tbsp sugar, 1 tsp cinnamon; stir to combine & dip the slices in)

[/print_this]

Here’s a chart that highlights a few of the differences between plantains and bananas

Plantains Bananas
  • Starchy
  • Used as a vegetable
  • Longer than bananas
  • Thicker skin
  • Resemble green bananas, but may be green, yellow or black
  • Sweet
  • Eaten as a fruit
  • Shorter than plantains
  • Thinner skin
  • Color is green when not fully ripe, yellow when ripe

You don’t have to make the plantains with cinnamon and sugar.  But that would be crazy.  Why make something savory when you have a raging sweet tooth and can satisfy it with some cinnamon and sugary and still say that you’ve eaten your vegetables.

You could make plantains with garlic and onions or any number of spices from cumin to turmeric to curry to just fry them in vegetable or olive with salt and pepper or no seasonings at all.

And yes, that’s a banana in the picture with the plantains.  Just to keep you on your toes.

For those who don’t “love” bananas (I like bananas in things, like in one of these, but am not really that keen on bananas just on their own), plantains don’t taste all that similar to bananas.

A few hours later the extra plantain slices we didn’t inhale immediately were almost cake-like.  Okay, cake is a stretch, but bread-like.  Chewy and starchy and full of texture.  Not mushy like a banana.

If you’ve ever had dehydrated bananas, plantains have a similar texture.

They make for a great snack and I served them as a side to our dinner but I don’t even bother taking dinner pictures here anymore because the lighting is so atrocious.

And with the cinnamon, sugar, and dusting of ginger at the end, good stuff.

But a dusting of cinnamon and sugar will always make things better for me.

Case in point, Coconut Cinnamon Sugar Roasted Almonds

Have you ever had plantains?  If so, where and how were they prepared?

Would you like to try them sometime?

And if you want to get your hands on some free Coconut Oil (maybe to fry up some plantains), enter the Coconut Oil Giveaway that I have going on.

54 Responses to “Coconut Oil Fried Cinnamon Sugar & Ginger Plantains”

Heather (Where's the Beach) — December 15, 2011 at 5:40 pm

I’ve actually never had plantains. I’ve always wanted to try them, just never really had the opportunity other than buying and trying to come up with something at home.

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — December 15th, 2011 at 6:22 pm

You totally need to try them! And I will let you know about the white asparagus if that gets made (or bought) ha!

Lauren @ Lawfully Wedded Wife — December 15, 2011 at 5:49 pm

OHHHH YUM. You are speaking my language, girl. Plantains are my absolute FAVORITE food in the entire world. I like to wait until they’re black and sweet and then I fry them up in a little coconut oil. I’ve never tried them this way–it’s on my list now!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — December 15th, 2011 at 6:22 pm

Im glad Im speakin’ your language. Lmk if you try them this way and if you have any other fave ways/recipes, holla!

katie @ KatieDid — December 15, 2011 at 5:52 pm

I’ve never had plantains, thanks for sharing the difference I never actually knew any of that. I would definitely give them a try though, if they caramelize anything like a banana does I’m sure they are fantastic.

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — December 15th, 2011 at 6:22 pm

they do sort of caramelize..I didn’t let these get very caramelized but yes, you totally can.

Jocelyn @ Peace Love Nutrition — December 15, 2011 at 6:03 pm

I love plantains! I usually only have them when I travel so this would be fun to whip them up myself– pretend I’m on a tropical vacation : )

Ela — December 15, 2011 at 6:24 pm

I love plantains! Super hard to find up here, though.

When you let them get so ripe, the skin is black, they are just as sweet but tastier and richer than a banana, super delicious, best raw pudding ingredient ever…

Kath — December 15, 2011 at 6:27 pm

Loooooove plantains!

Maryea @ Happy Healthy Mama — December 15, 2011 at 6:43 pm

I’ve never tried plantains but you’ve inspired me! One of these days I’ll have to pick a few up.

Paige @ Running Around Normal — December 15, 2011 at 7:01 pm

I think I’ve only had a plantain once in my entire life…not sure why – it was delicious!

Lisa is Raw on $10 a Day (or Less) — December 15, 2011 at 7:09 pm

Ha! When I was first married I bought plantains and thought they were just really big bananas … I didn’t know they had to be cooked and they tasted terrible. After that, I learned how to cook them and really liked them.

Alison — December 15, 2011 at 7:31 pm

The first time I tried plantains was earlier this year in punta Cana. The resort prepared them like hash browns in the breakfast buffet and they were great! I recreated it at home once but I don’t usually eat things like hash browns for breakfast so I haven’t really thought about plantains since. I love how you’re just cooking up a storm down there! Enjoy!

Katie — December 15, 2011 at 8:16 pm

I LOVE plantains. I don’t think they taste anything like bananas, maybe because they aren’t eaten raw? The other thing to note about them is that they are better (read: sweeter) when the outside is completely black. So, buy them green and have patience.

Fried in a bit of oil with salt and sugar. That was my staple breakfast when I lived in Panama. I think I ate them every day. So good.

nicole marie — December 15, 2011 at 9:39 pm

i think it’s absolutely positively amazing that you turned these beautiful plantains into the crunchy versions pictured above! i suppose that i never figured of how they were actually made. i always assumed they arrived fresh to the bulk dried food section at the grocery store. haha! (me = airhead). lovely recipe. i will be doing this one for my next film night party! x

Ellen — December 16, 2011 at 12:05 am

I adore plantains. Not a huge banana or potato person, but plantains? All sorts of awesome:)

Kathryn — December 16, 2011 at 2:15 am

I hate bananas with a fiery passion but love plantains. There’s a place in Jamaica that I used to go to where you could get the most amazing plantain nachos on the beach, just so good.

Rebecca @ Naturally Healthy and Gorgeous — December 16, 2011 at 4:37 am

When I was in Nicaragua on a medical mission trip, I had fried plantains all the time! They are amazing!

Clare @ SweetnSimple — December 16, 2011 at 4:47 am

Wow I’ve never had plantains before.. I don’t think I’ve even seen them here in Australia! But they do look good, I love bananas and sweet potatoes, so surely I’d like them.. would be very interested to try!:)

Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free — December 16, 2011 at 5:12 am

I love plantains! Never tried making them myself, though, but they sound easy enough! And the addition of cinnamon sounds fabulous.

Lindsay @ Pinch of Yum — December 16, 2011 at 5:21 am

YES! I had plantains when we were in Puerto Rico, of just about every variety. Sweet, savory, fried, you name it. Loved them. And I am just dying at your beachy pictures. *sigh*

Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. — December 16, 2011 at 5:45 am

i love plantains. Great post!

Rachel @ Not Rachael Ray — December 16, 2011 at 6:00 am

Yep. Definitely coming with you next time. ;)

Kelly @ Foodie Fiasco — December 16, 2011 at 6:22 am

Why? Why do this to me? You know I’ll have to make these now. They look waaaay too good not to. And then I’ll eat them all. Is that a bad thing? I hope not.

I’m off to fry me up some plantains!

Bev Weidner — December 16, 2011 at 7:30 am

I’ve never had plantains and NOW I REALLY NEED TO.

Annie @ Naturally Sweet Recipes — December 16, 2011 at 7:31 am

Those look delicious! I love plantains. Love the inspiration from your vacation. :)

Christin@purplebirdblog — December 16, 2011 at 8:21 am

I am madly in love with plaintains but have never prepared them at home. I guess I just wasn’t thinking of how easy they could be!!!

Lauren — December 16, 2011 at 8:41 am

OMG! I love plantains! So smart frying them in coconut oil too! If you could just package those up and ship them up to Oregon, that would be great!!

Chris — December 16, 2011 at 9:06 am

These are wonderful http://www.daisymartinez.com/recipes/PlantainChips0107.htm especially when dipped in this http://www.daisymartinez.com/recipes/Mojito0107.htm :D You remind me that it’s about time to make them again.

Moni'sMeals — December 16, 2011 at 9:19 am

YUM Averie! So good are those plantians. And in Coconut oil…good lord!

Enjoy em while you can right!

Amber K — December 16, 2011 at 10:25 am

I have never tried plantains before, but you have a way of making anything look delicious.
    “Why make something savory when you have a raging sweet tooth and can satisfy it with some cinnamon and sugary and still say that you’ve eaten your vegetables.” <– you are so a woman after my own heart! Hear hear!

Anna @ The Guiltless Life — December 16, 2011 at 10:28 am

Oh you’re making me miss good ol’ fried plantains! Every island in the Caribbean does them a bit differently but they’re all just the same caramelized fried goodness. Soooo yum and the perfect comfort food!

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning — December 16, 2011 at 10:42 am

I love LOVE plantains! I like them every which way you can prepare them- but honestly, I think my favorite is to just cut them into semi-think chunks and bake the so that they’re crispy on the outside and mushy on the inside… my tummy is rumbling just thinking about it.
    Guess I’ll be picking up some plantains this weekend now…
    Question: have you ever had the mini red ones? I don’t know if mine weren’t ripe or what, but when I bought some, they were horrible!

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — December 16, 2011 at 12:59 pm

These are making my mouth water so bad!

Richa@HobbyandMore — December 16, 2011 at 2:45 pm

congratulations! and love those plantain chips!!

Richa@HobbyandMore — December 16, 2011 at 2:46 pm

that congratulations for the feature on martha!.. wrong post:)

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — December 16, 2011 at 3:41 pm

I have never used plantains, but I have always wanted to try making something with them.

Stacy @ Say It With Sprinkles — December 16, 2011 at 4:15 pm

I have a serious banana & plantain chip addiction…sweet or savory, doesn’t matter! They’re dangerous for me to have around, haha! Yours look yummy!

Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles — December 17, 2011 at 9:20 am

I love plantains, I can’t believe I haven’t thought to dehydrate them!!!

Christine (The Raw Project) — December 18, 2011 at 8:37 am

I’ve had my share on plaintains while living in Florida, very good! I’ve had them as double-fried patties at Cuban restaurants, totally indulgent! This cocnut oil version sounds delicious! Not sure they’d be good in a smoothie, but I’d try it. :-)

The Healthy Hipster — December 28, 2011 at 7:52 pm

My roommate used to make these for me as they are quite common in Cameroon where she was from. It always made my day to see a plate of them on the counter! Deep fried in palm oil…ahem…but delicious nonetheless ;)

Jeffie — December 31, 2011 at 6:53 am

I love Plaintains! I never thought of frying them in coconut oil but imagine it tasting wildly delicious… especially with cinnamon sugar and ginger; oh man I gotta try this!

CaribeAzul — February 21, 2013 at 2:02 pm

Fried, baked, boiled plantains have been a staple in my life since I grew up in Cuba. Fried green plantain (cut them very thin in order to make them crispy, you may do this with a mandolin), serve them with mojo (pronounced mo-ho) (to make mojo: you fry onion, garlic, pinch of cumin, lime juice, salt and pepper). Ripe plantains baked in a mixture of wine and sugar, (hmmm, hmmm, good!). You may use these as a great substitute for yams. Another way is just to cut the ripe plantains in 1/4 inch slices, and deep fry them. They are done when golden brown. There are sweet and delicious. Finally, green plantain boiled, and mashed with a bit of bacon, garlic and onions. Fry the bacon, and add garlic and onion, and mix with the plantain once they are mashed. Add salt and pepper to tast.