Strawberry Banana Bread

I love banana bread and adding strawberries to an already good thing makes it that much better.

When I saw a recipe for Strawberry Bread at Evan’s Eat Laugh Love for my Secret Recipe Club of the month assignment, I knew I wanted to play around with that recipe and see what I could come up with, and this was the lucky loaf.

If there’s one thing I despise, it’s dry baked goods. Muffins and bread can be among the worst offenders in the dry baked goods category, so I was especially careful to make sure this bread stayed moist.

I did that by adding some brown sugar because brown sugar tends to keep baked goodies moist. There’s a handy chart here about what to add and incorporate for chewy, soft, and moist cookies.

And bananas make anything moist and dense and such was the case with this loaf.

Don’t you just want to bite off the very top layer?

It’s the muffin top principle. Eat the muffin tops because they’re so moist, packed with flavor, and best part of the muffin, and then pawn off the remainder of the muffin onto less-clued in others, like my husband, who isn’t quite the moisture-content-connoisseur that I am.

I promise the entire loaf of bread tastes like a muffin top, so you don’t have to go cherry-picking off the best parts.

Or strawberry-picking, or banana-picking, in this case.

When the strawberries baked, not only did they make my house smell amazing, but they released a bit of moisture, also helping to create a really moist, luscious loaf.

[print_this]

Strawberry Banana Bread (with Gluten-Free & Vegan suggestions)

1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour

1/2 cup white sugar

1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

1 medium banana, divided (mash half – about 1/4 cup mashed banana; slice the other half – about 10 thin slices)

1/4 cup canola oil

1 egg white, beaten

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 cup strawberries, diced (I used TJ’s frozen strawberries, thawed and diced; or try mixed berries)

Preheat oven to 350F and prepare a 9×5-inch loaf pan by either lining it with foil, allowing for overhang to easily lift out the bread or by spraying well with cooking spray. In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugars, baking soda, cinnamon and stir to combine. Slice a banana in half and mash one half with a fork and slice the other half into thin discs. Add the mashed banana to the dry ingredients and stir. Add the oil, beaten egg white, vanilla and stir until just combined. Gently fold in 3/4 cup strawberries. Pour batter into prepared pan and top with 1/4 cup strawberries and banana slices, pressing them very gently into the surface of the batter. Bake for 45 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean (Depending on moisture content bananas and berries, cooking times may vary from 40 to 50 minutes). Allow bread to cool before removing it from the pan. Slice and serve as is, or add butter, cream cheese, jelly, or frosting, if desired. Store extra bread in an airtight container on the countertop or store in the freezer for up to three months.

Notes: I suspect you could use this batter as muffin batter. I’d bake for 18-20 minutes at 350F and start watching them closely from there. To keep gluten free, use GF flour. To keep vegan, replace the egg white with a chia/flax egg, egg replacer, or add extra banana or applesauce.

[/print_this]

This bread was very quick to make. A true quick bread.

And it’s almost vegan, shy of one little beaten egg white, which I’m sure could be omitted and replaced with a bit of extra banana, applesauce, or a flax egg.

I hate flimsy, thin little slices of bread that break, crumble, and don’t hold their shape from plate to mouth, so I sliced this bread nice and thick.

There’s that muffin top principle again.

Even though there are bananas and strawberries woven into the bread, it’s the slices of bananas and strawberry pieces layered on top of the loaf that are so tempting.

I love butter on bread. Who doesn’t?

But this bread was so moist that it didn’t even need to be buttered. Not that I would have complained with a pat of butter placed on warm bread or anything, but it was good enough that Skylar and I inhaled half the loaf the minute the pictures were done, sans butter.

Related banana recipes:

Peanut Butter Banana Bread (Vegan, GF)

Banana Crepes Roll-Ups (Raw, Vegan, GF)

Cinnamon Raisin Banana Oatmeal Muffins (Vegan, GF)

Banana Nut Muffins (Vegan, GF)

Caramelized Bananas

I also have a banana recipes post highlighting some of my favorite recipes using bananas.

And if you like fruit in baked goods, try these Mango and White Chocolate Chip Cookies

Do you like banana bread? Do you have a favorite banana bread recipe?

This is one of my faves because the combo of peanut butter and bananas is dynamite. The resulting bread is so ridiculously dense, heavy, and not dry in the least.

Do you pick off muffin tops and leave the rest for someone else?

Ok, yes, I’m guilty as charged.

The winner of the $50 Visa Gift Card and Peanut Butter Giveaway is kelli@Kellird.com

151 Responses to “Strawberry Banana Bread”

Miz Helen — March 12, 2012 at 6:46 pm

Hi Averie,
    Your presentation and the photo’s of this Strawberry Banana Bread are just beautiful. This is an awesome recipe that we will really enjoy. It is fun cooking with you on the SRC and have a great week!
    Miz Helen

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — March 12, 2012 at 8:04 pm

The bread, oh your bread, looks amazing! I love this recipe! I may have to steal it from you! he he!!

Deborah — March 12, 2012 at 8:27 pm

I made a strawberry bread last year that I fell in love with. Now I need to try your recipe!!

Lisa~~ — March 12, 2012 at 8:27 pm

Your bread is gorgeous with the strawberries and it does look amazingly moist, delicious.

If you haven’t already, I’d love for you to check out my Group ‘A’ SRC entry: Broiled Sushi.

Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

Ellen — March 12, 2012 at 9:38 pm

That looks so good! I think I may be entering a banana bread phase…

Baking Serendipity — March 12, 2012 at 10:37 pm

I love the look of those strawberries baked on top! Such a perfect spring food :)

dan — March 13, 2012 at 7:07 am

great looking bread. Thanks for sharing with SRC!

Danielle — March 13, 2012 at 11:08 am

I have a strawberry bread recipe that I adore. I love the idea of adding bananas to it. Great choice!

Betsy — March 13, 2012 at 3:13 pm

Averie, I’ve been MIA lately, but I’m loving your new blog header! Really cute! I seriously hate bananas but your pics are so delicious looking that I might change my mind :) So glad you’re still in my SRC group. I hope you’ll stop by Seasonalpotluck.com this month. Its artichoke month, and I’d love if you’d link up any artichoke recipes you may have! http://bit.ly/zRfNjo

Luv What You do — March 13, 2012 at 6:33 pm

I love banana bread. I never thought to add strawberries and I can’t wait to try it. My blog probably has 100 banana bread recipes on it…to pick a favorite is so hard, but this one bowl banana bread is great!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — March 13, 2012 at 8:01 pm

Whenever the hubby and I share a muffin I steal the top half and give him the bottom, hehe!

I must say this, although I know you hate the word … but your breads/muffins always look so “moist” … which makes them look yummmmmmmmmy!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — March 13th, 2012 at 8:47 pm

I’ve gotten over my issues with that word b/c honestly, sometimes it’s the only word that truly is applicable :)

Jeanette — March 13, 2012 at 8:24 pm

This looks fabulous. So funny that we both had strawberry and bananas in mind when choosing our recipes for SRC this month! Love the combo!

Mike @TheIronYou — March 14, 2012 at 1:43 am

Look fantastic. I really like that you give the options to make it Gluten-free and/or Vegan. I want to try to make it using replacing some of the flour with protein powder…will let you know the outcome!
    Peace
    Mike

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — March 14th, 2012 at 9:47 am

Please do! I am always curious what success people have at home based on their tweaks and trials!

ButterYum — March 14, 2012 at 6:20 am

Ugh – your photos are killing me – they’re so good!! Love this SRC recipe you picked.

I hope you’ll stop by and visit my SRC post for Chewy Oatmeal Raisin and Almond Cookies

ButterYum

Jill — March 14, 2012 at 6:44 pm

Who would have thought that bananas and strawberries could be so beautiful!!!

Javelin Warrior — March 16, 2012 at 6:18 am

This has to be one of the most gorgeous banana breads I’ve ever seen – love the addition of strawberries and the shape of the loaf is so unique (or is it just a trick of the photo?)… Anyway, I am featuring this post in today’s Friday Food Fetish roundup (with a link-back and attribution), but please let me know if you have any objections. It’s a pleasure following your creations…

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — March 16th, 2012 at 6:30 am

Glad you like it so much and thanks for the compliments and feature!

Sally @ Sally's baking addiction — March 31, 2012 at 12:58 pm

Hi Averie! I made this today but turned them into MUFFINS! They turned out wonderfully. The strawberries make them so moist. I ate 3 out of the oven lol. Posting them on SBA this week!!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — March 31st, 2012 at 1:30 pm

Awesome! I knew they would work as muffins and so glad you made them!

Can’t wait to see the linkup this week.

Laura — April 3, 2012 at 9:43 am

I made this with the help of my 21 month old. You were right that it is really moist and tastes like the muffin top all the way through. I usually slather banana bread with butter, but you were also right that it didn’t need it, and I was amazed that I would forego it by choice! LOL. My husband doesn’t like anything too sweet and he thought it was perfect. He put it in the fridge, which I never do….but it tasted good cold too….lots of pleasant surprises with this recipe. I am going to make some more today with mixed frozen berries, though I may think about using more brown sugar or butter. Also, I went ahead and used a whole banana in the recipe plus the half on top, and I used the whole egg not just the white. Thanks for the recipe!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — April 3rd, 2012 at 11:42 am

Thanks so much for the feedback! Yes, I was going to increase the sugar (brown by maybe 1/4 cup or so) to give it more of a caramely taste and possibly add/use butter rather than oil, and also use the whole egg, too. I was adapting and adapted recipe and didn’t want to stray tooooo far off the beaten path for the recipe club I was in because we’re not supposed to alter things to a ridiculous level, but yes, so many changes and room for experimentation on this one. Please keep me posted what you try with it!

And the GF/vegan banana bread I linked in this recipe, it’s crazy good. It’s so rich. The loaf weighs about 5 lbs in the pan…lol

Rosh — April 9, 2012 at 4:35 am

Such incredible recipes…happy to bump into your blog…gotta try few of your recipes!

Merideth — May 6, 2012 at 3:28 pm

I shared on FB and Pintrest!

Weronika — May 19, 2012 at 2:36 pm

Do you think I could substitute olive oil for canola oil? This looks SO great, by the way, I can’t wait to make it!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 19th, 2012 at 2:45 pm

You probably could do it and the bread will “work out” just fine….the taste though. I am not big on olive oil in desserts but if you like it, go for it. Keep me posted!

• Weronika replied: — May 20th, 2012 at 11:05 am

It tasted fine, but the.. batter, it had the consistency of actual dough. I had to mold it into the pan. I wonder if I just did something wrong or if it was the olive oil?

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 20th, 2012 at 11:13 am

I have no idea what it was…either the olive oil or you doing something wrong regardless of the type of oil used. Glad it tasted fine though!

Yolanda — May 27, 2012 at 6:08 pm

I made this today and it’s not only delicious, it’s also beautiful. Thanks! For my taste I could reduce the sugar a little next time but I can day that I’ll definitely be making this more than a few times! Can’t wait for strawberry season :)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 27th, 2012 at 6:12 pm

YAY! Yes the berries I had were not very sweet, but it’s all based on taste preferences, berries, how ripe your bananas are. Play around with it a bit and LMK if you make more or use other fruits, i.e. blueberries, peaches, etc.

Rachel — June 22, 2012 at 9:57 am

When I saw this bread I HAD to make it- plus my husbands 4 year old nephew helped me too! soooo good and not dry and crumbly- nothing worse then a dry cupcake!! thanks!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — June 22nd, 2012 at 9:58 am

100% agreed nothing worse then a dry cupcake or cake or bread of any kind! Glad the bread was a hit!

janet — August 25, 2012 at 4:44 pm

this should be great to try…

Dede — January 31, 2013 at 1:41 pm

My 6yr old son and I made this the other day, It was gone in 2 days :)
    I used gf flour, coconut oil, 2 mashed bananas and added the whole cup of strawberries to the batter , this was a very moist cake and so easy to work with. I pretty much let my son do all the work. I can see this being a “staple” in our house.

Thanks for sharing

Katie — March 21, 2013 at 6:42 pm

Thanks for a very tasty recipe! I have to say that I had to add the whole banana mashed and 1-2 tbsp extra oil in order to get it moist enough to call it a batter. Before that it was dry and crumbly. Not sure if anyone else has experienced this (perhaps what I think is a medium-sized banana is in fact miniscule!).

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — March 21st, 2013 at 7:37 pm

perhaps what I think is a medium-sized banana is in fact miniscule! <– I am guessing that’s the case. Sometimes when I buy bananas from say Trader Joe’s they are HUGE like…ridiculous. That would be a “large” I guess. What I call medium maybe is what most other call large? You basically need 1 to 1 1/4 cups mashed banana. Some bananas are also just juicier than others. Glad you liked the bread!

Yamilette Wilson — September 29, 2014 at 11:10 am

I just made this recipe this morning….Absolutely delicious, moist and will definitely make again! Thanks for posting!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — September 29th, 2014 at 3:03 pm

Thanks for trying this (older) recipe and glad it came out great for you and you’ll make again!