Fluffernutter Banana Smoothie

It’s a bit of a funny name, but fluffernutter is just code for two favorites rolled into one:

Fluffer = Marshmallows

Nutter = Peanut Butter

Add bananas, and you’ve got yourself a fabulous treat.

This borders on dessert-in-a-cup and that’s just fine by me on this hot holiday weekend.

I almost added cocoa powder but would have had to crack the seal on a new container and figured it wasn’t necessary and as it turned out, not adding cocoa powder allowed me to concentrate more fully on marshmallows without chocolate clouding my judgment. We’ve all been there.

I love the top layer of hot chocolate with an abundance of softened marshmallows. It’s one rare situation in which I enjoy mushy and squishy food. And this smoothie is another.

Some marshmallows are blended into the body of the smoothie and a few more are added as a garnish. Slurping those softened little squishy white globes is so much fun.

I added enough peanut butter that this frothy little number turned amber-hued. I wasn’t complaining.

It was cold and creamy and went down fast and easy.

Bananas go from good to great when they’re frozen and then blended. They add so much creaminess and fluffiness to smoothies and this was no exception. Plus, peanut butter and bananas is always a good combo.

Nah, I never missed the cocoa powder in this one.

[print_this]

Fluffernutter Banana Smoothie (vegan and gluten free, as indicated below*)

Makes about 12 ounces

2 ripe small/medium bananas (previously frozen in chunks is preferred)

1/2 to 2/3 cup cream or milk (or vegan milk)

1/3 cup creamy peanut butter

2 tablespoons granulated sugar, optional and to taste

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/3 to 1/2 cup mini-marshmallows

Combine all ingredients except for marshamllows in a blender and blend until smooth and creamy. Add marshmallows and pulse or blend until just incorporated, allowing some texture to be retained. Garnish with a few additional marshmallows. Serve immediately.

Optional add-ins: 1 to 2 tablespoons cocoa powder, 1 whole graham cracker, 1/ 4 cup semi-sweet, peanut butter, or white chocolate chips or chocolate syrup; 1/4 cup shredded coconut flakes, 1 to 2 ounces marshmallow-flavored vodka or light rum, 1 scoop protein powder, add 1 scoop of ice cream for a milkshake, garnish with whipped topping or whipped cream, coconut flakes, graham cracker crumbs, dollop of peanut butter, or sprinkles.

*To keep vegan, use vegan marshmallows (here or here) and vegan milk (coconut, cashew, almond, soy, rice). Most conventional-brand marshmallows are inherently gluten-free but use those that are linked for certified gluten-free marshmallows.

[/print_this]

Related Recipes:

Creamy Cookie Butter White Chocolate Banana Smoothie

Banana Cream Pudding Pie & Caramel Smoothie

Peanut Butter Marshmallow Bars with Vegan Chocolate Frosting (No-Bake, GF) – Excuse the photography; the recipe itself is scrumptious. Butterscotch, peanut butter, marshmallows, and chocolate. Fluffernutter at it’s finest.

White Chocolate Vanilla Marshmallow Cake Bars – One of my favorite desserts on my blog and top 5 for 2011

Marshmallow Peanut Butter Double Chocolate Pillowtop Bars (GF with Vegan options) – One of my favorite desserts on my blog and top 5 for 2011

Do you like marshmallows? Peanut butter?

The fact that many of my favorite recipes use marshmallows and peanut butter, and bananas, at least shows I’m consistent. Peanut butter recipes and comparing peanut butter never gets old. Nor do marshmallows. Or bananas.

If you have any great recipes with marshmallows or peanut butter, or any fluffernutter recipes, link them up.

The winner of the Taste of Home Best Loved Recipes Cookbook Giveaway is Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet

59 Responses to “Fluffernutter Banana Smoothie”

j3nn — September 2, 2012 at 12:18 pm

The cake I made this week had Fluffernutter filling!! So good. :)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — September 2nd, 2012 at 12:32 pm

I could skip the cake part and cut straight to the filling! mmmmm!!

Erica — September 2, 2012 at 12:21 pm

Fantastic!!!! I need to make some homemade nut butter today. I love peanut butter…marshmallows are good in certain recipes and I think this is one of them.

Laura Dembowski — September 2, 2012 at 12:22 pm

Yum! Marshmallow, peanut butter, and bananas are three of my favorite things . . . not to mention staples in my diet.

Hannah — September 2, 2012 at 12:25 pm

Fluffernutters are the best, especially because of the funny name! They were always a serious treat as a kid, since marshmallow fluff was a rarity around here. Marshmallows are still my great weakness, so I’m craving this more refreshing version of the classic like crazy! Those pictures are so enticing.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — September 2nd, 2012 at 12:30 pm

The name alone just does it for me too. Anything I can make to just say that name :)

Laura (Tutti Dolci) — September 2, 2012 at 12:31 pm

What a delish smoothie, perfect flavors!

Paula — September 2, 2012 at 12:35 pm

I love the fun, whimsical name of this smoothie and it sounds yummy too! PB, bananas, and marshmallow is a great combination (I have been known to put all of that on a bagel and then brown the marshmallows under the broiler). I made a small loaf of banana bread and it is so good–truly a great recipe Averie! I wish I could have used my homemade vanilla but it won’t be ready for a couple of weeks.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — September 2nd, 2012 at 12:43 pm

The next 3 weeks of banana bread are already typed and pics taken. You are going to love them I think! They all start with this recipe as the base, and then branch out, and the icing/glaze is even one-up’ed if I do say so myself. I hope you made that part and glad you loved the recipe!

I have homemade vanilla going too but couldn’t start it til after Aruba so I have like 5+ weeks to go. ugh.

And ‘all of that on a bagel and then brown the marshmallows under the broiler’ <–Wow.Yes.please.

Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel — September 2, 2012 at 1:18 pm

Be still my heart! I love me some fluffernutters and this smoothie looks INCREDIBLE. So light and frothy and the marshmallow “sprinkle” on top is not only adorable, but super tasty. Love that they soak up all that banana and cocoa-y goodness.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — September 2nd, 2012 at 4:00 pm

light and frothy and the marshmallow “sprinkle” was so slurp-ale :) YES!

Emily @ www.main-eats.com — September 2, 2012 at 1:41 pm

That looks super amazing! All of my favorite things in one glass!

Deirdre — September 2, 2012 at 1:47 pm

Yes, Yes and Yes! Oh so good…AND maybe a bit of cocoa? Yum, Yum and Yum!

Angela / Canned Time — September 2, 2012 at 2:07 pm

Breakfast tomorrow, LOVE IT!!!!

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — September 2, 2012 at 2:10 pm

Oh my! This sounds absolutely fabulous :)

Brooke — September 2, 2012 at 2:16 pm

You had me at “fluffer” :)

Brooke

Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet — September 2, 2012 at 2:17 pm

This looks insanely delicious! And genius too! Gorgeous pictures as always, Averie! Have a great weekend!

sally @ sallys baking addiction — September 2, 2012 at 3:10 pm

Growing up, my sister would always ask for fluffernutters and I would ALWAYS ask for PBJs. She loved them SO much and whenever I see PB & marshmallow together, I think of her. I’ve grown to LOVE pb & marshmallow together, esp marshmallow creme. I’m actually convinved PB goes with just about anything. :)

The melty soggy marshmallows at the top of the hot cocoa are my favorite too. Being a texture freeeeeeak, I gotta have at least some “chunks” in my smoothies too. Whether that means a few chunks remaining from the frozen banana or a a handful of bluberries throw on top, or in this case… some marshmallow… I love the extra texture. PB, fluff, and banana sounds too good to be true.. a combination I’ve NEVER tried!!!!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — September 2nd, 2012 at 3:58 pm

that’s a cute story about your sister – truth be told, I’d probably side with the PB & J rather than fluffernutter – we think alike! And yes, PB goes with anything!

Texture freak is my middle name. There has to be many diff textures going on and never just one-dimensional. That’s why I love making bars so much is there are so many ways to add diff textures!

Kate@Diethood — September 2, 2012 at 3:19 pm

Oh my, I love the name! And, I’ll take two!!

Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) — September 2, 2012 at 4:39 pm

Pretty sure you’re either a mind reader or secretly hiding out in my apartment, ha! I’m having the toughest time keeping up with bananas lately (i.e., they ripen way faster than I can eat them) and fluffernutter is my absolute favorite childhood combo. I think I have no choice but to make this. ;)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — September 2nd, 2012 at 6:23 pm

You’re right….no choice! And I hope you’re getting settled in after your move.

Michele Sparrow — September 2, 2012 at 5:13 pm

Great combination of flavors and textures. I never thought to put marshmallows with pb and banana! Plus, I love the photos looking directly down in the glasses. Could we just dive right in, please? ;-)

Truth be told, my heart always skips a little beat when I look at the photos of those white chocolate vanilla marshmallow cake bars. White chocolate is probably one of my favorite things in the world to eat. Drool!!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — September 2nd, 2012 at 6:23 pm

I knew you liked the white chocolate vanilla marshmallow cake bars but I didn’t realize how much until a few comments ago (I was in Aruba) and remember reading your comment about how much you REALLY loved them – good to know :)

Sue/the view from great island — September 2, 2012 at 6:05 pm

This is inspired, Averie— I love the idea of blending the marshmallows. And now I’m also craving your white chocolate marshmallow cake bars!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — September 2nd, 2012 at 6:21 pm

I don’t know how inspired it is, but it sure is good. A little too good :)

And okay those white chocolate marshmallow cake bars – the photography is a little iffy but seriously, one of the best desserts on my site. Totally ripe for improvisation, too. Make them for your girls!

Jennie @themessybakerblog — September 2, 2012 at 6:16 pm

Oh. My. Yum! Love this smoothie. Pinned it!

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust — September 2, 2012 at 6:25 pm

This is awesome Averie. I’m new to the fluffernutter – and it’s amazing!

Marina@Picnic at Marina — September 2, 2012 at 7:08 pm

I like the name: fluffernutter…:) As of your question… I think I am going to comment on another posts, I’ve missed a few… :)

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — September 2, 2012 at 8:45 pm

Your drink sounds amazing!! I would just LOVE it!!

Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy — September 2, 2012 at 9:43 pm

sounds amazing! growing up, I had a friend who always had a fluffernutter sandwich on fridays at school. i was always so jealous! haha

Susmitha - Veganosaurus — September 3, 2012 at 12:33 am

Fluffer-Nutter, what a cute name! :) I can’t stop saying it. haha

Regina @ SpecialtyCakeCreations — September 3, 2012 at 3:02 am

Wow…that smoothie combines 3 of my husbands favorite foods. How did you know?

Delray Candles — September 3, 2012 at 4:03 am

What a blast from the past! I don’t know if it’s carried in the grocery stores outside of the Boston/New England area, but Fluff was a staple for me in the ’70s.
    Yum, ice cream sundaes with fluff, and fluffernutter sandwiches in my Wonder Woman lunch box. it’s all coming back to me now…. Oh, but as I grew older and more sophisticated, I began to use Nutella instead of PB. LOL

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — September 3rd, 2012 at 8:30 am

I would love to get my hands on your Wonder Woman lunch box today!

Nicole — September 3, 2012 at 4:51 am

Love!!
    Beware: conventional marshmallows/fluff are not vegan!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — September 3rd, 2012 at 8:28 am

Exactly. Which is why I provided links to TWO types of vegan marshmallows. Not much more I can do other than provide the info and after that, folks need to do their own homework and make their own choices.

Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. — September 3, 2012 at 4:57 am

i may just have to try this ASAP

Jen @ Savory Simple — September 3, 2012 at 5:39 am

I’m not sure I’ve ever had fluffernutter, though I’ve certain enjoyed the two main components. This makes me want to try it! Gorgeous as always.

Christine (The Raw Project) — September 3, 2012 at 8:53 am

This sounds and looks amazing, I adore nut butter and banana together! Awesome job!

Erin Motz — September 3, 2012 at 9:18 am

This sounds sooo tasty and indulgent! Marshmallows and PB are definitely a match made in heaven! And since I have an abundance of bananas this week so I just may give it a shot ;)

Aja — September 3, 2012 at 9:23 am

I need to make this right now!

bakerbynature — September 3, 2012 at 10:06 am

This looks amazinngg! I am on a smoothie kick these past few weeks, so this will be made!!

Amber K — September 3, 2012 at 10:33 am

On their own they all rock, but mixed together? Now that’s some awesomeness!

Natalie @ FreshLifeFindings — September 3, 2012 at 1:38 pm

Yum any smoothie with peanut butter and banana in it is my favorite so adding marshmallows tops it off! :) I just made peanut butter at home last night thanks to your inspiration!

Christina @ The Beautiful Balance — September 3, 2012 at 5:44 pm

yum! I will definitely be passing this on to my non-vegan friends!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — September 3rd, 2012 at 5:50 pm

as long as you use vegan marshmallows, it’s vegan as written!

Ashley — September 3, 2012 at 8:27 pm

Looks AMAZING!! however just to let ya know dont say vegan if you are using real marshmallows

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — September 3rd, 2012 at 9:05 pm

I linked TWO brands of vegan marshmallows and as I told another commenter, not much I can do past that other than give folks the info about how to make this vegan and then let people make their own choices :)

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — September 5, 2012 at 8:53 pm

I like marshmallows, but one is enough for me. I really like PB!