Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Bars
I have so many recipes for peanut butter bars but you can never have too many.
That’s what I tell myself anyway.
When I want an easy, fuss-free recipe that I know everyone will love, I call upon my trusty blondie base. With 25+ versions and counting, it never lets me down.
It’s an easy recipe to memorize because everything is ‘one’. In the 1 bowl used, melt 1 stick of butter, stir in 1 egg, 1 cup of brown sugar, 1 tablespoon vanilla, and 1 cup flour.
For this version I added 1 cup chocolate chips and peanut butter. The only thing that’s not ‘one’ is the amount peanut butter (1/3 cup).
I made the bars in my hot, 90F un-airconditioned kitchen in Aruba. I’ve been on vacation the past couple weeks and it’s been great, other than my oven. It runs horribly hots and browns things too fast on top, but there are worse things.
The bars are super soft, slightly chewy, buttery, and peanut buttery. Between the butter and the peanut butter, they’re super moist and just melt in your mouth.
There’s an abundance of chocolate in every bite. There’s no other way to do chocolate other than in abundance.
They were definitely worth heating my house up for.
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Bars
The bars are super soft, slightly chewy, buttery, and peanut buttery. Between the butter and the peanut butter, they’re super moist and just melt in your mouth. There’s an abundance of chocolate in every bite. I used my trusty blondie base recipe, an easy recipe to memorize because everything is 'one'. In the 1 bowl used, melt 1 stick of butter, stir in 1 egg, 1 cup of brown sugar, 1 tablespoon vanilla, and 1 cup flour. It's an easy, fuss-free recipe that everyone will love.
Yield: one 8x8 pan, 9 to 12 generous squares
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: about 20 minutes
Total Time: about 1 hour, for cooling
1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick), melted
1/3 heaping cup peanut butter (I use Jif, Skippy or similar; natural PB can separate and/or be too oily)
1 large egg
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips + 2 tablespoons, for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line an 8-by-8-inch baking pan with aluminum foil, spray with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large, microwave-safe bowl melt the butter, about 1 minute on high power.
- Wait momentarily before adding the egg so you don't scramble it. Add the peanut butter, egg, brown sugar, vanilla, and whisk until smooth.
- Add the flour and stir until just combined, don't overmix.
- Stir in 1 cup chocolate chips.
- Turn batter out into prepared pan, smoothing the top lightly with a spatula.
- Sprinkle evenly with 2 tablespoons chocolate chips, smoothly the top lightly with a spatula.
- Bake for about 20 to 25 minutes, or until done. A toothpick inserted in the center should come out clean, or with a few moist crumbs, but no batter. Bars shown in photographs were in 90F Caribbean heat and humidity, and very soft and melty. Allow bars to cool in pan for at least 30 minutes before slicing and serving. Bars will keep airtight at room temperature for up to 1 week, or in the freezer for up to 6 months.
Recipe from Averie Cooks. All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you.
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chunk Cookie Bars – The taste and texture of cookies, minus the work of making individual cookies. Soft, chewy, and loaded with chocolate chunks
Nutella-Swirled Peanut Butter Chip Blondies – Easy one-bowl, no mixer. Super soft and gooey
Caramel Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Gooey Bars - Keep the napkins handy for these soft, gooey bars dripping with the best caramel-peanut butter sauce
Triple Peanut Butter Monster Cookie Bars – Peanut butter used 3 different ways. Great for pantry odds-and-ends cleanout
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Nutter Butter Bars - Nutter Butters baked in along with PB and chocolate chips
Peanut Butter Cup Cookie Dough Crumble Bars – Peanut butter cups baked into soft, gooey, chewy bars
Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Oatmeal Skillet Cookie – 3 fave cookies combined into 1 giant cookie! So easy & ready in 25 minutes. Pop it in before dinner & enjoy!