The Best and The Easiest Molten Chocolate Lava Cakes
The lava cakes blow any restaurant molten chocolate lava cake I’ve tried out of the water.
When you find out how fast and easy they are to make, you’ll never settle for a restaurant version again.
Melt butter with chocolate in one bowl, no mixer is needed. Stir in sugar, eggs, flour, pour into ramekins and bake.
Thankfully for my thighs the recipe only makes two cakes but is easily doubled or triple depending on your needs. I’d like to say that I split one of these with my daughter but no. We both inhaled our own.
The cakes are rich, decadent, moist, robustly chocolaty, sweet enough but not too sweet. I used Trader Joe’s Dark Chocolate Bar and recommend using your favorite dark chocolate bar. I prefer using bars or baking chocolate rather than chocolate chips because I prefer the flavor and texture.
The molten, barely-set chocolate that oozes from the center is my idea of heaven.
Ice cream and 10-Minute Homemade Hot Fudge aren’t required but yes, they are. They’re the final icing on these perfect little cakes.
The Best and The Easiest Molten Chocolate Lava Cakes
This is some of the best chocolate cake of my life, reminds me of my favorite fudgy brownies, and blows any restaurant molten chocolate lava cake out of the water. The cakes are fast, easy, made in one bowl, no mixer, and you'll never want to settle for a restaurant version again. The cakes are rich, decadent, moist, robustly chocolaty, sweet enough but not too sweet. I used Trader Joe’s Dark Chocolate Bar and recommend using your favorite dark chocolate bar. I prefer using bars or baking chocolate rather than chocolate chips because I prefer the flavor and texture. The molten, barely-set chocolate that oozes from the center is my idea of heaven along with ice cream and hot fudge. The recipe as written make two cakes but is easily doubled or tripled.
Yield: 2 cake, recipe easily doubles or triplee
Prep Time: 3 minutes
Cook Time: about 12 minutes
Total Time: about 15 minutes
- 2 ounces dark chocolate or bittersweet baking chocolate (I used Trader Joe's Dark Chocolate Bar; I prefer bars or baking chocolate to chocolate chips)
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter (1/2 of 1 stick)
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 large egg + 1 egg yolk (discard white or save for another use)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso coffee granules, optional but recommended (doesn't make cakes taste like coffee and serves to enhance the chocolate flavor)
- ice cream for serving, optional but recommended
- hot fudge for serving (homemade or storebought), optional but recommended
- Preheat oven to 425F and spray two ramekins (about 3-4 inches in diameter or about 4 ounces each) with cooking spray, place ramekins on a baking sheet; set aside.
- To a medium microwave-safe bowl, add the chocolate, butter, and heat on high power to melt, about 1 minute. Stop to whisk until smooth. If needed, return bowl to micro and heat in 15-second increments until chocolate can be whisked smooth.
- Add the sugar, egg, egg yolk, and whisk until smooth.
- Add the flour, optional espresso granules, and stir until just combined; don't overmix.
- Pour batter into prepared ramekins, divided evenly.
- Bake for about 12 minutes, or until edges are set but center is still soft; don't overbake. Baking times will vary based on oven, ramekins, and climate variances; bake until as done as desired.
- Allow cakes to cool in ramekins for about 1 minute, gently rim the edges of ramekins with a paring knife, and invert over serving dishes to dislodge cakes.
- Optionally top with ice cream, hot fudge, and serve immediately. Cakes are best warm and fresh.
Adapted from Kraft
Recipe from Averie Cooks. All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you.
The Best Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Ganache – The best chocolate cake I’ve ever had (until now) and the easiest to make! Nothing fussy or complicated & delivers amazing results every time!
10-Minute Homemade Hot Fudge – Thick, rich and supremely fudgy! So fast and easy you’ll wonder why you haven’t always been making it at home!
White and Dark Chocolate Cream Cheese Chocolate Cake Bars – Chocolate cake with chocolate chips, white chocolate chips and filled with cream cheese! Fast, easy, and foolproof!
Chocolate Cake Batter Milkshake – If you love cake batter, this is the smooth and creamy milkshake for you! Have your cake and drink it, too!
Salted Caramel and Chocolate Pecan Pie Bars – You’ll never want plain pecan pie again! Caramel and chocolate makes the bars taste amazing!
Chocolate Cupcakes with Cookies and Cream Frosting – Soft, fluffy cupcakes with frosting you’ll want to eat by the spoonful! Amazingly there’s no eggs or butter so you can have seconds!
The Best Turtle Brownies – Super fudgy and loaded with chocolate, pecans and caramel! So.crazy.good!
Cocoa Crumble-Topped Chocolate Mocha Cake – It’s hard to resist picking those big cocoa crumbles right off this super soft and easy cake!
Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie – Need a fast, easy, goofproof chocolate chip cookie recipe? This is the one! Soft, chewy, and oh so good!