Easy Spinach and Tomato Frittata
I love making frittatas. Fast, easy, healthy, and they serve an alternate purpose.
To use up the random produce odds and ends in my refrigerator crisper drawer.
For this one I had fresh spinach and tomatoes to use and in they went.
If you have onions, mushrooms, zucchini, leftover sweet potatoes, random hunks of cheese, toss it in. I can attest to the fact that there’s almost nothing that won’t work.
I wilted the spinach in my enameled cast iron skillet for about 30 seconds on the stovetop, added tomatoes, a half dozen lightly beaten eggs, and cooked it covered for about 5 minutes.
To set the center I popped the skillet under the broiler for less than 5 minutes and the frittata was ready.
My family made quick work of the frittata for brunch in less time than it took to my pot of coffee to brew.
They’re also great for quick and easy weeknight meals when you want something warm, but have zero time or energy to make anything elaborate.
Or when you have a random hodgepodge of veggies to use. Frittata to the rescue.
Easy Spinach and Tomato Frittata
I love making frittatas. Fast, easy, healthy, and they serve an alternate purpose to use up the random produce odds and ends in my refrigerator crisper drawer. Toss in whatever you have on hand and most likely it’ll work. To set the center I popped the skillet under the broiler for less than 5 minutes. Make sure to keep a very watchful eye when broiling so eggs don’t become overcooked or burn. My family made quick work of the frittata as an easy weekend brunch or make it for a quick and easy weeknight meal when you want something warm, but have zero time or energy to make anything elaborate.
6 large eggs, lightly beaten
salt and pepper, to taste
1 to 2 cups fresh spinach, loosely measured in cup
1 medium tomato, diced small (I used an unpeeled Roma)
optionally add extra produce (i.e. onions, mushrooms, zucchini, leftover sweet potatoes, etc.) and/or sprinkle with a handful of shredded cheese
- Preheat broiler to high with a rack placed in the middle of the oven. I prefer to broil in the middle of the oven because it’s safer and less likely the food burns before I notice it.
- In a medium bowl, lightly beat the eggs with a fork, add salt and pepper to taste, and stir to combine; set aside.
- To an oven-safe skillet such as an enameled cast iron skillet (spray with cooking spray if it’s not well-seasoned), add the spinach and heat over medium heat on the stove until spinach wilts slightly, about 30 seconds.
- Evenly sprinkle the tomatoes and any optional produce or cheese, add the eggs, and cook over medium heat (covered if possible) without stirring for about 5 minutes, or until edges begin to set.
- To encourage center to set, place skillet under the broiler for 3 to 5 minutes, or as necessary. Broiling time will vary based on type of skillet, how done the eggs got on the stove, how hot your broiler gets, exact positioning of oven rack, etc. Make sure to keep an extremely watchful eye on eggs so they don’t overcook or burn, remembering that when cooking in cast iron there’s carry-over cooking. Pull skillet before you think you need to so eggs don’t become overcooked as they cool in skillet before serving. Frittata is best served warm and fresh.
All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you.
Asparagus, Peas, and Smoked Gouda Frittata – Even the pickiest eaters will eat green vegetables in this healthy, easy, 25 minute recipe!
Creamy and Crispy Hash Browns Frittata – Hash browns, cream-style soup, and eggs. The eggs are creamy and the are potatoes crispy. Easy comfort food!
Vegetable Fried Rice Frittata (vegetarian, GF) – Like a fried rice vegetable stirfry that’s baked into creamy eggs!
Sweet Potato and Mozzarella Egg Skillet (GF) – Easy, cheesy comfort food that’s ready in 15 minutes!
White Cheddar and Dijon Baked Eggs – Fast, easy comfort food that’s ready in 15 minutes! The Dijon and cheese jazz these eggs right up!
Spicy Baked Eggs and Hash Brown Frittata (vegetarian, GF) – Frozen spinach is incorporated in this easy and fast egg dish with a slightly spicy kick!
Spinach and Red Pepper Frittata (vegetarian, GF) – Red peppers, spinach, and eggs are used in this easy and flavorful quickie meal!
100-Calorie Cheese, Vegetable and Egg Muffins – (GF) – Healthy, easy & only 100 calories! You’ll want to keep a stash on hand!