Fast and easy brunch, lunch, or breakfast-for-dinners are lifesavers.
Especially when they’re served in individualized portions. Cute, right?
This dish is as easy as they come. Two eggs in each portion, a few diced tomatoes, and topped with a white cheddar cheese and Dijon mustard mixture before baking for 10 to 15 minutes.
So few ingredients and so simple, but full of flavor. It’s amazing what a little Dijon mustard and some tangy white cheddar can do for eggs.
Or try it with spicy, hot, sweet mustard, or your favorite. I adore mustard and have at least 9 half-opened jars at all times. But it’s mindlessly easy and costs literally about 7 cents to make your own homemade mustard. Easiest DIY project ever.
If you don’t have white cheddar, use what you have on hand or another favorite cheese like mozzarella, Fontina, Monterey Jack, pepper Jack, or gouda.
I used these small Le Creuset ramekins but if you don’t have something similar, try an 8×4-inch loaf pan. I haven’t tried it, but I’m fairly certain it will be a workable swap.
Keep your eyes open for small oven-safe ramekins at places like Bed Bath & Beyond, Target, or TJ Maxx for about two bucks each. They’re handy to have around and as much as I’d love to collect LeCreuset in every size and color, it’s not exactly practical. Marshall’s to the rescue.
In my oven and with my ramekins, 10 minutes results in very runny yolks, 15 minutes results in firmer and set yolks, and 18 minutes results in yolks you’d find in a hard-boiled egg.
Bake until your eggs are done to your liking. All ovens, ramekins, cheese used, and preferences vary, and so will baking times.
The eggs are comforting and will make you feel warm and cozy inside.
I love recipes where the cooking vessel and the eating vessel are one in the same.
Less dishes, happier me.
Pin This Recipe
White Cheddar and Dijon Baked Eggs
- 4 large eggs
- salt and pepper, to taste
- half of one small/medium tomato, diced small (I used half of an unpeeled Roma)
- about 1/2 heaping cup grated white cheddar cheese, measured piled loosely (or mozzarella, Fontina, Monterey Jack, pepper Jack, etc.)
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard, or your favorite yellow, hot, spicy, etc. mustard
- parsley, optional for garnishing (or basil, thyme, etc.)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray 2 small ramekins with cooking spray or lightly grease them with butter. If you don’t have small ramekins, use an 8×4-inch loaf pan.
- Carefully crack 2 eggs into each ramekin, taking care not to break the yolks.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Evenly and lightly sprinkle the diced tomatoes between the two ramekins; set aside.
- In a small bowl, add the cheese, mustard, and lightly toss to combine with a fork.
- Evenly divide cheese mixture between the two ramekins, lightly smoothing the top of each with the fork.
- Place ramekins on a baking sheet and bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until eggs are cooked to desired level. In my oven and with my ramekins, 10 minutes results in very runny yolks, 15 minutes results in firmer and set yolks, and 18 minutes results in yolks you’d find in a hard-boiled egg. Bake until your eggs are done to your liking. All ovens, ramekins, type of cheese used, and preferences vary, and so will baking times.
- Garnish and serve immediately. Eggs are best served warm and fresh.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
©averiecooks.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Sweet Potato and Mozzarella Egg Skillet (GF) – Easy, cheesy comfort food that’s ready in 15 minutes
Spicy Honey Mustard (GF) – Pennies to make and effortless. No need to buy mustard with this easy recipe
Creamy and Crispy Hash Browns Frittata – Hash browns, cream-style soup, and eggs. The eggs are creamy and the are potatoes crispy. Easy comfort food
Vegetable Fried Rice Frittata (vegetarian, GF) – Like a fried rice vegetable stirfry that’s baked into creamy eggs
Spicy Baked Eggs and Hash Brown Frittata (vegetarian, GF) – Frozen spinach is incorporated in this easy and fast egg dish with a slightly spicy kick
Skinny Two-Ingredient 110-Calorie Mozzarella Cheese Sticks – Comfort food goes skinny so you can still indulge without the bulge
Avocado Tomato and Mozzarella Crostini – Like bruschetta, but with avocado & who can say no to avocado and cheese. A fast & easy appetizer everyone loves & ready in 15 minutes