Sweet Potato and Mozzarella Egg Skillet
This post may contain affiliate links.
Sometimes simple is best. Actually, most times.
In life and in recipes, keeping it simple definitely has its perks.
There’s nothing fancy about this, but I find it’s the 3-ingredient, 15-minute recipes that my family requests over and over, and that people tend to make.
Consider this your get-out-of-dinner-jail free card when you’ve had one of those no planning at all days and it’s 9:30pm on a school night and you still haven’t fed the crew. Whoops, it happens.
Or it makes an easy, effortless brunch dish without any fuss or hassle.
It’s a satisfying vegetarian meal if you’re trying to eat less meat or great if you’re vegetarian by accident that day. You know, you have absolutely nothing in your fridge or pantry but manage to scrounge up a potato, a few eggs, and some cheese. Awesome, you can make it.
Microwave one sweet potato on high for about 8 minutes, or until soft and done. Cut it into thin rounds and place them in a skillet. I didn’t peel mine (fiber is a good thing), but peel if you wish.
Top with 4 eggs and a handful of mozzarella. If you have fontina, goat cheese, or another favorite smooth-melting cheese, that would be lovely. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and a couple pinches of smoked paprika or your favorite seasoning.
Broil on high for about 3 minutes. Keep an incredibly close eye on your skillet and don’t leave the kitchen or start multitasking with another project. In literally 3 minutes time, it’s ready.
Cooking eggs under the broiler is my favorite way. It’s incredibly fast and they cook evenly. Ssometimes when pan-frying eggs, the whites are done before the yolks really set or there’s a random runny white section that doesn’t want to cook through. The broiler solves all that.
It’s easy, inexpensive, comfort food that’s fairly healthy, all things considered. You can add some diced veggies on top to work in extra color, texture, and nutrients. In the past I’ve used diced bell peppers, tomatoes, mushrooms, corn, asparagus, leeks, peas, and edamame. They all work.
The sweet potatoes are soft and tender, and make the perfect base for the warm eggs and gooey melted cheese.
Ready in 15 minutes from start to finish, uses one skillet, and always clean plates when I make it.
Can’t beat it.
- 1 medium/large sweet potato
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup Mozzarella cheese (substitute with fontina, goat, or your favorite easy-melting cheese)
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika, optional (substitute with the seasoning of your choice)
- pinch salt and pepper, to taste
- Piece sweet potato with a fork a few times and cook in the microwave on high power for about 8 minutes, or until sweet potato is soft and done.
- While potato is cooking, preheat broiler to high setting and place oven rack on the highest or second highest level.
- Slice potato horizontally into thin rounds, about 1/4-inch thick. I keep the skin on, remove it if preferred.
- Spray a non-stick skillet or enameled cast iron skillet with cooking spray and place potato rounds in the skillet in an even flat layer; some gaps are okay.
- Evenly crack the eggs over the potatoes.
- Evenly sprinkle with cheese.
- Evenly sprinkle with paprika, salt, and pepper.
- Place skillet under broiler and broil for about 3 minutes, or until eggs are set and cheese is as browned as desired. I keep the door close the first 2 minutes and in the final minute, I keep the door open and am constantly readjusting the position of the skillet so that I can control what parts are getting the most intense heat from the broiler. Make sure to use a very trusty hot mitt.
- Remove from oven and serve immediately. Eggs are best warm and fresh. I serve with ketchup.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 187Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 263mgSodium: 250mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 13g
Creamy and Crispy Hash Browns Frittata – Hash browns, cream-style soup, and eggs. The eggs are creamy and the are potatoes crispy. Easy comfort food
Cheese, Black Beans, and Corn-Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with Avocado Crema (vegan, GF) – A healthy meal that’s easy, ready in 15 minutes, satisfying & doesn’t taste like health food!
Baked Chipotle Sweet Potato and Zucchini Fritters (vegetarian, GF) – Baking rather than frying grated zucchini and carrots makes for a healthier twist on traditional fried fritters
Vegetable Fried Rice Frittata (vegetarian, GF) – Like a fried rice vegetable stirfry that’s baked into creamy eggs
Spicy Baked Eggs and Hash Brown Frittata (vegetarian, GF) – Frozen spinach is incorporated in this easy and fast egg dish with a slightly spicy kick
Sweet Potato Maple Vegan Beer Bread (vegan) – No sugar, no eggs, no butter and no kneading in this soft, fluffy, super moist and flavorful bread. Easiest bread recipe ever
Spinach and Red Pepper Frittata (vegetarian, GF) – Red peppers, spinach, and eggs are used in this easy and flavorful quickie meal
Sweet Potato Graham Cracker “French Toast” Sticks – Turn sweet potatoes into French toast sticks with a baked-in streusel topping. This recipe was included in the Trader Joe’s cookbook, in which I was a contributing author
Skinny Two-Ingredient 110-Calorie Mozzarella Cheese Sticks – Comfort food goes skinny so you can still indulge without the bulge
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.