Soft and Chewy Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
But this version trumps all. Practice makes perfect when it comes to cookie-making and anything pumpkin.
After many trials and lots of cookies, these are my favorite pumpkin chocolate chip cookies yet because they’re soft, thick, perfectly chewy and not cakey, which is a problem that often plagues pumpkin cookies. I love pumpkin cake, muffins, and bread but I don’t like cakey cookies.
To combat the cakiness there’s no egg in the dough. Eggs make things fluffier but pumpkin puree does that naturally much like bananas do. I’ve baked plenty of vegan pumpkin cakes and muffins and know from experience that many times when you’re baking with pumpkin you don’t need eggs and these cookies are a prime example.
The cozy and comforting pumpkin flavor just shines. Between the molasses, pumpkin pie spice, and pumpkin pie spice extract that I used, the cookies beautifully showcase the flavors of fall.
And as a bonus there’s loads of chocolate in every bite.
Soft and Chewy Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
The cookies are soft, thick, perfectly chewy and not cakey which is a problem that often plagues pumpkin cookies. To combat the cakiness there’s no egg in the dough and the cozy and comforting pumpkin flavor just shines. Between the molasses, pumpkin pie spice, and pumpkin pie spice extract, the cookies beautifully showcase the flavors of fall. And as a bonus there’s loads of chocolate in every bite.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree (use the remainder in these recipes)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon mild or medium-flavored molasses (not blackstrap, too intense)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons McCormick Pumpkin Pie Spice Extract (McCormick Vanilla Extract may be substituted)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice (a mixture of cinnamon, allspice, cloves, and nutmeg if you don’t have pumpkin pie spice)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- To a large, microwave-safe bowl add the butter and heat on high power to melt, about 1 minute.
- Add the pumpkin puree, sugars, molasses, pumpkin pie spice extract, and whisk to combine until smooth.
- Add the flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, salt, and stir until just combined.
- Add the chocolate chips and stir to combine.
- Using a large cookie scoop, 1/4-cup measure, or your hands, form approximately 11 equal-sized mounds of dough and flatten slightly. Tip – Strategically place a few chocolate chips on top of each mound of dough by taking chips from the underside and adding them on top.
- Preheat oven to 350F, line a baking sheet with a Silpat or spray with cooking spray. Place dough mounds on baking sheet, spaced at least 2 inches apart (I bake 8 cookies per sheet) and bake for about 12 to 14 minutes (12 1/2 minutes is perfect in my oven), or until edges have set and tops are just set, even if slightly undercooked, pale, and glossy in the center; don’t overbake. Cookies firm up as they cool. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for about 10 minutes before serving. I let them cool on the baking sheet and don’t use a rack.
- Cookies will keep airtight at room temperature for up to 1 week or in the freezer for up to 6 months. Alternatively, unbaked cookie dough can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days, or in the freezer for up to 4 months, so consider baking only as many cookies as desired and save the remaining dough to be baked in the future when desired.
All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you.
Cooking With Pumpkin: Recipes That Go Beyond the Pie is my second cookbook and was released October, 2014.. There’s over 50 pumpkin recipes including sweets, savory, drinks, and a photo for nearly every recipe. I’d be super grateful if you headed over to Amazon.
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies – Super soft, moist, and filled with chocolate!
Buttery Pecan Pumpkin Spice Cookies – Buttery soft dough with big chunky pecans in every bite! Salty-and-sweet and so hard to resist!
Soft and Puffy Pumpkin Spice Honey Cookies – Super soft cookies that just melt in your mouth! You’re going to love these puffy cuties!
Pumpkin Whoopie Pies – Soft, tender cookies with a sweet buttercream filling! Easy and irresistible!
Soft Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bars – Super soft and are like biting into a piece of rich pumpkin fudge! Loaded with chocolate and crazy good!
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake with Chocolate Ganache – One of my favorite cakes of ALL TIME! A must-make!
Vegan Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Muffins – You’ll never miss the eggs or butter! Easy, soft, fluffy and so good!
Oatmeal To-Go Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins – Like having a bowl of warm pumpkin oatmeal in portable muffin form! Fast and easy!
Cream Cheese-Filled Pumpkin Bread – Pumpkin bread that’s like having cheesecake baked in! Soft, fluffy, easy and tastes ahhhh-mazing!
Soft Vegan Pumpkin Bread with Brown Sugar Streusel Crust – You won’t miss the eggs or the butter in this fast and easy bread with a great streusel crust!
Soft Vegan Pumpkin Cake with Pumpkin Spice Buttercream Frosting – Fast, easy cake you’ll never guess is vegan!
Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes with Marshmallow Buttercream Frosting – Small batch recipe of just 6 cupcakes when you have just a little leftover pumpkin puree to use!
The Best Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread – Super soft, moist, rich pumpkin flavor, and loaded with chocolate chips! Easy, no mixer recipe that’s the BEST!