The Best Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread
This post may contain affiliate links.
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread — This recipe is truly the best homemade pumpkin bread you’ll ever make. It’s moist, packed with chocolatey goodness, and tastes like fall!
Easy Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread
This is an easy pumpkin bread with chocolate chips that requires no mixer and goes from bowl to oven in minutes. Between the molasses, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, and McCormick’s new Pumpkin Pie Spice Extract, the bread is true comfort food and beautifully showcase the flavors of fall.
To create this chocolate chip pumpkin bread recipe, I adapted my beloved Cream Cheese-Filled Pumpkin Bread for a loaf that’s soft, moist, springy, dense yet still fluffy, and nicely spiced. Like all my pumpkin, carrot, and sweet potato desserts, using enough spices to ensure the final result is full-flavored is imperative.
It’s perfect for snacking on any time of the day!
Ingredients for Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread
To make this moist pumpkin bread with chocolate chips, you’ll need:
- Pumpkin puree
- Brown sugar
- Granulated sugar
- Canola oil
- Sour cream
- McCormick Pumpkin Pie Spice Extract
- Ground nutmeg
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder and baking soda
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips
How to Make Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread
Step 1: To make this chocolate chip pumpkin bread, you’ll first need to whisk together everything but the flour, baking powder and baking soda, and chocolate chips (you don’t want to over mix the flour by mistake).
Step 2: Once combined, gently stir in the remaining dry ingredients and fold in the chocolate chips.
Step 3: Turn the batter into a greased 9×5-inch loaf pan and bake until the top is domed and golden, and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Step 4: You’ll need to let the pan cool for 15 minutes before removing it from the pan to cool on a wire rack.
Can I Freeze Pumpkin Bread?
I’m sure you could! To freeze this loaf, first let it cool to room temperature and then wrap it in a few layers of plastic wrap (or seal inside a freezer bag). When you’re ready to enjoy the frozen loaf, set it on your counter to thaw.
Can I Make This in a Smaller Loaf Pan?
No, you should use a 9×5-inch loaf pan for this recipe. If you use a smaller pan, it’s likely that your bread will spill over while it’s baking.
Tips for Making Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread
First of all, it’s crucial that you use pure pumpkin puree for this moist pumpkin bread recipe, and NOT sweetened pumpkin pie filling. The packaging is very similar, so be sure to read the ingredients list to make sure you’re buying pure pumpkin for that amazing pumpkin flavor!
I also recommend using mini chocolate chips in your pumpkin chocolate chip bread since they distribute more evenly throughout the batter. Regular chocolate chips will work as well of course, but I prefer mini.
Lastly, you should tent the pan with a sheet of foil loosely draped over the top at the 40-minute mark if you feel the tops and sides of the loaf will become too browned before center cooks through. Baking times will vary based on moisture content of pumpkin, climate, and oven variances. Bake until done; watch your bread, not the clock.
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup canola or vegetable oil (liquid-state coconut oil may be substituted)
- 1/4 cup cup sour cream (lite is okay; or Greek yogurt may be substituted)
- 1 tablespoon mild or medium-flavored molasses (not blackstrap, too intense)
- 2 teaspoons McCormick Pumpkin Pie Spice Extract (McCormick Vanilla Extract may be substituted)
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice (a mixture of cinnamon, allspice, cloves, and nutmeg if you don’t have pumpkin pie spice)
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips (mini size recommended for better distribution, regular size may be substituted)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray one 9×5-inch loaf pan with floured cooking spray, or grease and flour the pan; set aside.
- To a large bowl, add the the first eleven ingredients, through ground nutmeg, and whisk to combine.
- Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and stir until just combined; don’t overmix.
- Add the chocolate chips and stir to combine.
- Turn batter out into prepared pan, smoothing the top lightly with a spatula and pushing it into corners and sides as necessary.
- Bake for about 50 to 55 minutes or until the top is domed, golden, the center is set, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, or with a few moist crumbs, but no batter. The toothpick test is tricky because the you will likely hit melted chocolate so the toothpick will look wet.*
- Allow bread to cool in pan for about 15 minutes before turning out on a wire rack to cool completely before slicing and serving. Bread will keep airtight at room temperature for up to 1 week, or in the freezer for up to 6 months.
*Tip: Tent the pan with a sheet of foil loosely draped over the top at the 40 minute-mark if you feel the tops and sides will become too browned before center cooks through. Baking times will vary based on moisture content of pumpkin, climate, and oven variances. Bake until done; watch your bread, not the clock.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 243Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 18mgSodium: 130mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 2gSugar: 22gProtein: 3g
More Pumpkin Desserts:
Cooking With Pumpkin: Recipes That Go Beyond the Pie is my second cookbook and it was officially released October 6. There’s over 50 pumpkin recipes including sweets, savory, drinks, and a photo for nearly every recipe. I’d be super grateful if you headed over to Amazon.
Soft Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bars – Super soft and are like biting into a piece of rich pumpkin fudge! Loaded with chocolate and crazy good!
Soft Vegan Pumpkin Bread with Brown Sugar Streusel Crust – You won’t miss the eggs or the butter in this fast and easy bread with a great streusel crust!
Buttery Pecan Pumpkin Spice Cookies – Buttery soft dough with big chunky pecans in every bite! Salty-and-sweet and so hard to resist!
Soft and Puffy Pumpkin Spice Honey Cookies – Super soft cookies that just melt in your mouth! You’re going to love these puffy cuties!
Pumpkin Whoopie Pies – Soft, tender cookies with a sweet buttercream filling! Easy and irresistible!
Easy Pumpkin Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting — Moist pumpkin cake is topped with a creamy homemade cream cheese frosting. This easy fall dessert is perfect for Thanksgiving, Halloween, and more!
Cinnamon Sugar Pumpkin Bread — Super soft, tender, moist pumpkin bread with a slightly crunchy cinnamon sugar topping!
Soft and Chewy Pumpkin Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies — Between the molasses and pumpkin pie spice, these cookies are bursting with fall flavors.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.