The Best 30-Minute Lasagna Soup
My family loves lasagna but I rarely make it because it can be a little more work than I’m up for after a long day.
This easy, 30-minute lasagna soup gives you all the rich flavor of your favorite lasagna minus the work.
My family raved about the soup and said it’s not only the best soup I’ve ever made but the best soup they’ve ever had and it ranks right up there as one of the things I’ve ever made, period. Talk about high praise from tough critics.
I’ve made countless batches of it since I first made it a few months ago for my family until now when I’m sharing the recipe.
The soup is hearty and comforting but not as heavy as traditional lasagna which I like. Just like traditional lasagna, it tastes even better the next day after the flavors marry.
Juicy tomatoes are combined with onions, garlic, oregano, basil, and parsley for great depth of flavor. The melted cheese on top just makes my day. Cheese lovers unite.
Rather than ground beef, I swapped and used Johnsonville Fresh Italian Hot Ground Sausage. It’s so convenient if you don’t wish to de-case sausage links. Johnsonville’s links and ground Italian sausage – as well as their meatballs and breakfast sausage – come in a variety of flavors and spices, giving you more flavor and saving you time in the kitchen.
I used hot sausage because I wanted something to provide a big boost of flavor and it provides a slight kick to the soup, but use mild sausage if you prefer.
Make sure to salt your soup to taste. I used low-sodium chicken broth and no-salt-added tomatoes and add a bit of salt to my soup so I can control the overall salt level. The saltiness of various brands of ingredients and personal preferences for salt all vary so salt to taste.
The Best 30-Minute Lasagna Soup
This easy, 30-minute lasagna soup gives you all the rich flavor of your favorite lasagna minus the work. The soup is hearty and comforting but not as heavy as traditional lasagna, and just like traditional lasagna it tastes even better the next day after the flavors marry. Juicy tomatoes are combined with onions, garlic, oregano, basil, and parsley for great depth of flavor. The melted cheese on top just makes my day. I used hot sausage to provide a big boost of flavor, but use mild sausage if you prefer. Make sure to salt your soup to taste.
Yield: about 10 cups
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: about 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound Johnsonville Fresh Italian Hot Ground Sausage (de-cased Johnsonville Fresh Italian Hot Sausage Links or mild sausage may be substituted)
- 2 cups sweet Vidalia or yellow onion, peeled and diced small (about 1 large onion)
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and finely minced
- 48 ounces (6 cups) low-sodium chicken broth
- one 14.5-ounce cans diced tomatoes and juice (I used petite diced, no-salt-added)
- one 14.5-ounce can fire roasted tomatoes and juice
- 2 rounded tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 or 3 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 to 2 teaspoons salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional and to taste
- 8 ounces lasagna noodles (about 10 noodles), broken into bite-sized pieces
- 1/3 cup fresh Italian flat-leaf parsley leaves (discard stems), finely minced
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, divided
- To a large Dutch oven or stockpot, add the olive oil, sausage, onions, and sauté for about 8 minutes over medium-high heat, or until sausage is cooked through and onions are lightly golden browned. Stir and flip intermittently.
- Add the garlic and sauté for 1 to 2 minutes. Stir intermittently.
- Add the chicken broth, both kinds of tomatoes and juice, tomato paste, bay leaves, oregano, basil, salt, pepper, optional cayenne pepper, noodles, and bring to a boil. Allow mixture to boil gently for about 15 minutes, or until noodles are tender and done. If at any point the overall liquid level looks low or you prefer your soup to have more broth, add 1 to 2 cups of water or additional chicken broth; you'll adjust the salt and seasoning levels at the end. Stir intermittently.
- Add the parsley, stir to combine, and boil 1 minute.
- Taste soup and add salt to taste. This will vary based on how salty the sausage, chicken broth, tomatoes, and tomato paste are, and personal preference. Make any necessary seasoning adjustments (i.e. more salt, pepper, spices, etc.). Remove bay leaves.
- Preheat oven to the broiler setting.
- Ladle soup into oven-safe bowls and top each bowl with about 1/3 cup mozzarella and 2 tablespoons parmesan. Place bowls on a baking sheet and set under the broiler. Broil for about 1 minute or until cheese is melted and is as lightly golden browned as desired. Keep a very watchful eye so that it doesn't burn which can happen in seconds.
- Serve immediately. Ungarnished soup (no cheese added) will keep airtight in the fridge for 5 to 7 days or in the freezer for up to 6 months.
Recipe from Averie Cooks. All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you.
Easy 30-Minute Homemade Chicken Tortilla Soup – Chicken, tomatoes, corn, black beans, avocado, cheese, and addictively crunchy tortilla strips! Fast, easy weeknight meal, and better than from a restaurant!
Creamy Tomato Soup (vegan, GF) – Panera copycat that’s fast, easy, and healthy!
Easy 30-Minute Homemade White Chicken Chili – Hearty, healthy, loaded with tender chicken, and packed with bold flavor! Fast and easy comfort food that everyone loves! It’ll be on rotation all winter!
Loaded Cheesy Chicken Potato Chowder – Potatoes, chicken, carrots, corn and more! Thick, creamy, rich, and wonderfully cheesy!! Fast and easy comfort food that everyone loves!
The Best Broccoli Cheese Soup (Better-Than-Panera Copycat) – Make the best soup of your life at home in 1 hour! Beyond words amazing!
Easy 30-Minute Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup – Classic, comforting, and tastes just like grandma made but way easier and faster!! This soup is AMAZING and it’ll be your new favorite recipe!!
Immune-Boosting Vegetable Soup and Broth – (vegan, GF) – Easy soup that’s healthy, nourishing, and keeps you healthy! Bye-bye germs!
Roasted Carrot and Red Pepper Peanut Soup (vegan, GF) – Thick, rich, and loaded with smoky flavors!
Creamy Vegan Corn and Red Pepper Blender Soup (gluten-free, soy-free, no added salt) – Ready in 5 minutes and packed with flavor!
Sweet Potato Red Pepper and Coconut Milk Soup (vegan, GF) – Ready in 10 minutes and so thick and satisfying!
Skinny Carrot Potato Soup with Honey Cream – Healthy, hearty, fast, and easy! Packed with flavor and you’ll never miss the fat and calories!
Post is brought to you by Johnsonville. The recipe, images, text, and opionions expressed are my own. #SausageSunday #JohnsonvilleSausageSwap
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Johnsonville Italian Sausage. The opinions and text are all mine.