30-Minute Italian Sausage, Vegetable, and Rice Soup
This post may contain affiliate links.
30-Minute Italian Sausage, Vegetable, and Rice Soup – EASY, hearty soup that’s full of flavor from the sausage, rice, and vegetables!! Comfort food the whole family will LOVE and it’s healthier from the vegetables! It keeps you warm and cozy on cold winter nights!!
During the cold weather months, soup recipes are the most popular on my website. I made this soup on a miserable, rainy, cold dreary day and my daughter had a terrible cold and this really hit the spot.
I love soups throughout the year but especially now because they are warm and cozy.
This one is hearty and it’s pure comfort food in a bowl. If you know someone who says that soup is not a meal, this satisfying recipe will prove them wrong. Not only do the vegetables keep the soup healthier, they also make it very filling.
How To Make The Soup
This soup is beyond easy, ready in under 30 minutes, made in one pot, and is full of robust flavor.
Simply brown Italian sausage with onions before adding red peppers, garlic, beef broth, diced tomatoes, oregano, and bring the mixture to a boil. After it’s boiling, add cooked rice, zucchini, green beans, and simmer until the vegetables are tender.
Use precooked rice to save time. I used ready rice in packets but feel free to separately cook 4 cups of rice for use in the soup. Your favorite type of rice from brown to basmati is fine.
Garnish the soup with basil, a squirt of lemon juice, and and top with freshly grated Parmesan cheese if you’d like (but not if you’re trying to keep it dairy-free, see below). So easy and dinner is ready in less than 30 minutes, making this perfect for busy weeknights.
What Does The Soup Taste Like
The soup reminds me and my family of one of our all-time favorite soups, The Best 30-Minute Lasagna Soup.
The tomato-ey beef broth along with the sausage is just perfect, the rice adds a comforting dimension. there is great texture from the zucchini and green beans, and the fresh basil and lemon juice really brighten it up.
Gluten-Free And Dairy-Free
It’s naturally gluten-free and dairy-free which is nice for many people or if you’re serving it to a mixed group with dietary restrictions.
Many soup recipes rely on noodles and/or use a dairy-based cheese sauce but not this one.
What Kind Of Sausage To Use
I used hot Italian pork sausage because we like the extra flavor the ‘hot’ adds although we don’t think it’s spicy or actually hot. But if you are your family do, regular sausage is fine.
You’re looking for a pound of ‘natural’ sausage (looks like raw ground beef) that’s not in casings or links.
You could easily swap the sausage for ground beef.
I have a beef and pasta soup that has lots of similarities to this one and it’s coming up, so be on the lookout for that one. Or in the meantime, check out this Slow Cooker Stuffed Pepper Soup which is made with ground beef, rice, and tomatoes in your slow cooker.
Favorite Beef Soup Recipes:
- 15 Best Fast and Easy Soup Recipes – Warm up with these easy soup recipes!! Most are ready in under 30 minutes and perfect for busy weeknights! Hearty, comforting, and so good!
- The Best Broccoli Cheese Soup (Better-Than-Panera Copycat) – Make the best soup of your life at home in 1 hour! Beyond words amazing! One of the most popular recipes on my blog and gets RAVE reviews!
- Easy 30-Minute Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup – Classic, comforting, and tastes just like grandma made but way easier and faster! This soup is AMAZING and it’ll be your new favorite recipe!
- The Best 30-Minute Lasagna Soup – All the flavor of lasagna minus the work! Loaded with juicy tomatoes, sausage, and topped with melted cheese! Easy, hearty, comfort food that’s perfect for busy weeknights!
- Slow Cooker Stuffed Pepper Soup – Stuffed peppers in hearty soup form and made in your slow cooker! Peppers, onions, ground beef, tomatoes, and rice in this easy comfort food recipe!
- Easy 30-Minute Homemade Chicken Tortilla Soup – Chicken, tomatoes, corn, black beans, avocado, cheese, and addictively crunchy tortilla strips! Fast, easy weeknight meal, and better than from a restaurant!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, optional
- 1 pound fresh Italian pork sausage (I used spicy sausage)
- 1 large sweet Vidalia onion, diced small
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and diced small
- 3 to 5 cloves finely minced or pressed garlic
- 64 ounces beef broth (I used 50% reduced sodium)
- one 15-ounce can petite diced tomatoes (do not drain; I used no-salt added)
- 1 to 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1+ teaspoons kosher salt, as needed to taste
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- pinch cayenne pepper, optional and to taste
- two 8.8-ounce packets cooked rice] (or about 4 cups of your favorite [cooked rice
- 1 medium/large zucchini, diced into small pieces
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups fresh green beans
- 1 to 2 tablespoons fresh basil, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, optional but recommend
- freshly grated Parmesan cheese, optional for garnishing as desired
- To a large Dutch oven or stockpot, add the optional olive oil , sausage, onion, red pepper, and cook over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes, or until onion is becoming soft and translucent. Stir and crumble the sausage as it cooks. I did not drain the sausage but you can if desired; the fat keeps the rice from sticking and adds flavor to the broth.
- Add the garlic, stir to combine, and cook for about 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Add the broth, tomatoes, oregano, 1 teaspoon salt, pepper, optional cayenne (doesn’t make the soup spicy but adds flavor), bring to a boil, and once boiling, add the zucchini, green beans, rice, and cook uncovered for about 7 minutes or until the vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Turn the heat off, add the basil, optionally add the lemon juice (it really brightens up the flavor of the soup and I recommend it), stir to combine, and taste the soup. If necessary, add more salt. Because I use lower/no salt-added products, I added a total of about 3 teaspoons salt but this will vary based on preference and products used; rice is also bland and benefits from adequate salt.
- Ladle into bowls and optionally garnish with Parmesan before serving. Soup will keep airtight in the fridge for 5 days and in the freezer for up to 4 months. Soup may seem quite brothy initially but in time, the rice and vegetables absorb some of the broth, reducing the brothiness.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 271Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 33mgSodium: 1612mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 3gSugar: 6gProtein: 15g
15 Best Fast and Easy Soup Recipes – Warm up with these easy soup recipes!! Most are ready in under 30 minutes and perfect for busy weeknights! Hearty, comforting, and so good!!
The Best 30-Minute Lasagna Soup – All the flavor of lasagna minus the work! Loaded with juicy tomatoes, sausage, and topped with melted cheese! Easy, hearty, comfort food that’s perfect for busy weeknights!
Slow Cooker Stuffed Pepper Soup – Stuffed peppers in HEARTY soup form and made in your SLOW COOKER!! Peppers, onions, ground beef, tomatoes, and rice in this EASY comfort food recipe!!
Easy 30-Minute Beef Taco Chili – Don’t have all day for chili to simmer? No problem!! This EASY, hearty chili full of Mexican-inspired flavors is ready in 30 minutes! If you like TACOS, you’ll LOVE this chili!!
Easy 30-Minute Smoky Beef and Black Bean Chili – Don’t have all day for chili to simmer? No problem! This EASY, hearty chili with lovely SMOKY heat is ready in 30 minutes! PERFECT for busy weeknights!!
Slow Cooker Beef Chili – Easy, hearty, comfort food! As the chili simmers in your slow cooker it develops so much flavor! A foolproof chili recipe that you’ll want to add into your regular rotation!
Easy 30-Minute Turkey Chili – Don’t have all day for chili to simmer? No problem! This easy, hearty, healthy chili is ready in 30 minutes and it’s full of flavor! Perfect for busy weeknights!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.