Slow Cooker Stuffed Pepper Soup
This post may contain affiliate links.
Slow Cooker Stuffed Pepper Soup — This stuffed pepper soup is packed with bell peppers, onion, and ground beef and is simmered in a tomatoey broth. Serve with rice for an easy weeknight meal!
Slow Cooker Stuffed Pepper Soup
Stuffed peppers, but in soup form. A total winner. This stuffed pepper soup is easy, hearty, and packed with flavor. After browning ground beef, onions, red and green peppers, and garlic on the stove, transfer everything to your slow cooker where it simmers away in a tomatoey broth.
The CrockPot stuffed pepper soup recipe comes from Gina Homolka, who blogs at skinnytaste.com. It’s in her new cookbook, Skinnytaste Fast and Slow. When Gina asked me if I’d like a review copy, I jumped at the chance. The book includes a combination of 30-minute fast recipes contrasted with those made in a slow cooker.
There are so many practical and healthful dinner options that I had a hard time deciding on this stuffed bell pepper soup. I know I’ll be turning to this book over and over.
Because I’m a food blogger and therefore cannot just follow a recipe to the T, I deviated from her recipe slightly. I added more onions, peppers, a couple extra dried spices, fresh parsley, and used no-sodium petite diced tomatoes. Pretty darn close, but I wanted to mention it in case anyone wants to make her recipe exactly.
To help ease weeknight dinner chaos, I cooked everything on the stovetop the night before, transferred it into my lined slow cooker, added the remaining ingredients, refrigerated, and the next night turned on the slow cooker in advance of dinner.
Even though it’s still in the 80s in San Diego, we loved this comforting soup.
What’s in Stuffed Pepper Soup?
Here’s what you’ll need to make this slow cooker stuffed bell pepper soup:
- Ground beef
- Kosher salt and pepper
- Sweet Vidalia onion
- Red and green bell peppers
- Diced tomatoes
- Tomato sauce
- Chicken broth
- Dried herbs
- Fresh parsley
- Cooked white or brown rice
How to Make Stuffed Pepper Soup
In a skillet, brown the ground beef and drain the fat off if necessary. Add the chopped onion, peppers, and garlic and cook until the veggies have softened.
Transfer the beef mixture to your slow cooker, then add the broth, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, dried herbs, and pepper. Stir to combine, cover, and cook on high for about 4 hours or low for about 8 hours. Stir in the fresh parsley just before serving.
Ladle the stuffed pepper soup into bowls and top with rice.
Can I Make Stuffed Pepper Soup in an Instant Pot?
Most likely, yes. However, I’ve only made a handful of Instant Pot recipes so I can’t give advice on how to alter this recipe to make it work for an Instant Pot.
Can I Use Another Ground Meat?
I don’t see why not! If you use a very lean ground meat, like chicken or turkey, you may want to oil the skillet before browning the meat so it doesn’t dry out.
Tips for Making Stuffed Pepper Soup
I like using a mix of green and red bell peppers in this slow cooker stuffed pepper soup, but you’re welcome to use all of one color if that’s what you have on hand.
Don’t add the rice to the slow cooker, because if you have leftover soup the rice will turn very mushy in the following days. Instead, top individual bowls with rice that you store separately from the soup in an airtight container.
Lastly, both the stuffed bell pepper soup and the rice will keep airtight in the fridge, stored separately, for up to 5 days or for up to 3 months in the freezer.
- 1 pound 95% lean ground beef
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
- 1 1/2 cups finely diced sweet Vidalia onion (from about 1 medium/large onion)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped red bell pepper (from about 1 large pepper)
- 2/3 cup chopped green bell pepper (about half of 1 large pepper)
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- two 14.5-ounce cans petite diced tomatoes (I used no salt added)
- 1 3/4 cups tomato sauce (one 15-ounce can)
- 2 cups reduced sodium, fat-free chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, or to taste
- 3 to 4 tablespoons fresh Italian flat-leaf parsley, finely minced
- 3 cups cooked white or brown rice
- To a large nonstick skillet or large Dutch oven, add the ground beef, kosher salt, and cook over medium-high heat to brown, crumbling it with a spatula as it cooks and tossing it to ensure even cooking. Cook through, about 5 minutes or as necessary. Drain fat if necessary.
- Add the onion, peppers, garlic, and cook for about 6 to 8 minutes, or until vegetables have softened, stir intermittently.
- Line a 6-quart slow cooker with a slow cooker liner if desired and transfer the beef mixture into it.
- Add the broth, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, marjoram, basil, oregano, pepper, stir to combine, cover, and cook on high for about 4 hours or low for about 8 hours. All slow cookers vary in their heat intensity. Cook until done.
- Stir in the fresh parsley.
- Taste soup and make any necessary seasoning adjustments, i.e. more salt, pepper, pinch of sugar, etc.
- Ladle about 1 1/2 cups soup into each bowl and top with about 1/2 cup rice.
- Tip: Don’t add the rice to the slow cooker because if you have leftover soup, the rice will turn very mushy in the following days. Instead top individual bowls with rice that you store separately from the soup in an airtight container.
- Both soup and rice will keep airtight in the fridge, stored separately, for up to 5 days or for up to 3 months in the freezer.
Adapted from Skinnytaste Fast and Slow, reprinted with permission.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 316Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 67mgSodium: 947mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 5gSugar: 8gProtein: 28g
More Easy Soup Recipes:
FAVORITE SLOW COOKER RECIPES — All my favorite easy recipes that are made in a slow cooker from savory to desserts!
The Best 30-Minute Lasagna Soup — All the flavor of lasagna minus the work! Loaded with juicy tomatoes, sausage, and topped with melted cheese! Easy, hearty, comfort food that’s perfect for busy weeknights!
Easy 30-Minute Minestrone Soup (Better-Than-Olive-Garden-Copycat) — Homemade is always better and this soup is amazing! The best minestrone ever! Perfect for busy weeknights and it’s healthy!
Easy 30-Minute Kale, White Bean, and Chicken Soup — This white bean and kale soup soup is easy, hearty, and healthy. It’s packed with flavor, texture, and is a full meal in itself!
Easy One-Hour French Onion Soup — This easy French onion soup recipe is ready in one hour. The broth has rich flavor, the onions are perfectly caramelized, and that cheese is heavenly.
Loaded Baked Potato Soup — In this loaded baked potato soup, potatoes are baked until tender before being simmered with garlic, milk, cheese, sour cream, bacon, and green onions.
Easy 30-Minute Tomato Basil Soup — Hearty yet HEALTHY, fast, easy, and loaded with great tomato-basil flavor!! The perfect soup to warm you up and keep you satisfied! Great for easy lunches and busy weeknights!!
Immune-Boosting Vegetable Soup and Broth — This homemade vegetable soup is packed with good-for-you ingredients. It’s perfect for when you have a cold or are craving a warm bowl of soup!
15 Best Fast and Easy Soup Recipes — Warm up with these easy soup recipes! Most are ready in under 30 minutes and perfect for busy weeknights! Hearty, comforting, and so good!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.