Loaded Baked Potato Soup
Loaded Baked Potato Soup — In this loaded baked potato soup, potatoes are baked until tender before being simmered with garlic, milk, cheese, sour cream, bacon, and green onions.
Easy Loaded Baked Potato Soup
This easy baked potato soup has everything I love about baked potatoes, but in soup form. It’s easy, loaded with so many good things, and packed with flavor. It’s creamy, cheesy, thick, rich, comforting, very filling, and hearty. I know it’ll be a favorite for years to come.
Potatoes are baked until they’re soft and tender before being simmered with garlic, milk, cheese, sour cream, bacon, and green onions.
I don’t think I missed a single baked potato topping with that lineup of ingredients and my family thanked me for it.
If you’re a cheesy baked potato person, and let’s face it most of us can go to town on a baked potato especially when it’s cold outside, you’re going to love this soup. The bacon doesn’t hurt either!
What’s in This Loaded Baked Potato Soup?
To make this loaded potato soup recipe, you’ll need:
- Unsalted butter
- All-purpose flour
- Whole milk
- Grated cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Sour cream
- Green onions
How to Make Loaded Baked Potato Soup
Bake the potatoes until fork tender, then peel and mash them once they’re cool enough to handle. In a large Dutch oven, cook the butter and flour for 3 to 5 minutes, or until the mixture has thickened. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant.
Add the milk, some cheese, salt, and pepper and cook until the cheese melts. Add the potatoes, sour cream, some of the bacon, and green onions, and stir to combine. Cook until the soup is heated through.
Ladle the loaded baked potato soup into bowls and garnish with more green onions, bacon, and shredded cheese.
Can I Add Other Veggies to This Soup?
You probably can. Finely chopped broccoli, corn, or peas would work well in this soup. Just keep in mind that you might need to adjust the cook time to account for the additional vegetables.
What Type of Bacon Should I Use?
Whatever type you prefer. I used pre-cooked bacon that cooks in the microwave in about a minute to save time. Just make sure whatever bacon you’re using is unflavored.
Tips for Making Loaded Baked Potato Soup
When making this baked potato soup recipe, you want to use baking potatoes (like Russet potatoes). Avoid waxy potatoes like what you use for mashed potatoes, that’s not what you want here.
Also, it’s important that you buy a block of cheddar cheese and grate it yourself. The pre-shredded cheese that comes in bags doesn’t melt well and is prone to clumping.
Finally, I recommend enjoying this soup within a week of making it. Because this loaded baked potato soup has a dairy-rich base, it likely won’t freeze well.
- about 3 1/4 pounds Russet or baking potatoes (about 4 medium/large potatoes)
- 1/4 cup (half of 1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 or 3 cloves garlic, minced or finely pressed
- 6 cups 2% or whole milk
- 8 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese, grated and divided (don’t use pre-grated cheese in ziptop bags because that cheese is resistant to melting and won’t incorporate well)
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1 cup sour cream (I used reduced fat)
- about 10 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled (I used pre-cooked bacon that cooks in microwave in about 1 minute to save time; yields about 1 cup crumbled bacon)
- about 6 to 8 green onions, trimmed and sliced into small segments (yields about 3/4 cup)
- Preheat oven to 400F. Pierce potatoes with a fork and bake for about 1 hour directly on oven rack, or until fork tender.
- When potatoes are cool enough to handle, peel them, transfer to a large bowl, and mash the flesh. I mash coarsely so there are big potato chunks but mash as small as desired; set aside.
- To a a large Dutch oven or stockpot, add the butter, flour, and cook over medium heat for about 3 to 5 minutes, stirring constantly, until flour is thickened. You’re making a roux and it’s very important the mixture is thick or soup will never thicken properly later.
- Add the garlic and cook for about 1 minute, or until fragrant; stir constantly so it doesn’t burn.
- Add the milk, 6 ounces cheese, salt, pepper, and stir until the cheese has melted.
- Add the potatoes, sour cream, 3/4 cup bacon, 1/2 cup green onions, and stir to combine.
- Simmer on low for about 5 minutes, or until soup is heated through; don’t allow it to boil.
- Taste and check for seasoning balance, adding more salt or pepper if desired, to taste.
- Ladle into bowls and evenly top with the remaining 2 ounces cheese, 1/4 cup bacon, 1/4 cup green onions, and serve immediately.
Soup will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 1 week. Reheat very gently on the stove or micro so soup doesn’t separate. I haven’t tried freezing it and cannot speak to the results.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 565 Total Fat: 35g Saturated Fat: 18g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 13g Cholesterol: 105mg Sodium: 1052mg Carbohydrates: 36g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 15g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 26g
More Easy Soup Recipes:
15 Best Fast and Easy Soup Recipes — Warm up with these easy soup recipes! Most are ready in under 30 minutes and perfect for busy weeknights! Hearty, comforting, and so good!
Loaded Cheesy, Bacon, Corn, and Potato Chowder – Loaded with all the good stuff! Bacon, cheese, and more! Hearty, comforting, fast, and easy! A dinnertime favorite that’s perfect for busy nights!
Loaded Cheesy Chicken Potato Chowder – Potatoes, chicken, carrots, corn and more! Thick, creamy, rich, and wonderfully cheesy! Fast and easy comfort food that everyone loves!
The Best Broccoli Cheese Soup (Better-Than-Panera Copycat) – Make the best soup of your life at home in 1 hour! Beyond words amazing! One of the most popular recipes on my blog and gets RAVE reviews!
Easy 30-Minute Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup – Classic, comforting, and tastes just like grandma made but way easier and faster! This soup is AMAZING and it’ll be your new favorite recipe!
Easy 30-Minute Homemade White Chicken Chili – Hearty, healthy, loaded with tender chicken, and packed with bold flavor! Fast and easy comfort food that everyone loves! It’ll be on rotation all winter!
Easy 30-Minute Homemade Chicken Tortilla Soup – Chicken, tomatoes, corn, black beans, avocado, cheese, and addictively crunchy tortilla strips! Fast, easy weeknight meal, and better than from a restaurant!
Easy 30-Minute Homemade Chicken Tortellini Soup – An fun spin on classic chicken noodle soup using cheese tortellini! Fast, easy, comfort food that just hits the spot! You’ll make it over and over again!
Easy 30-Minute Minestrone Soup (Better-Than-Olive-Garden-Copycat) – Homemade is always better and this soup is amazing! The best minestrone ever! Perfect for busy weeknights and it’s healthy!
Weight Loss Vegetable Soup – Trying to shed some pounds or get healthier? Try this easy, flavorful soup that’s ready in 30 minutes and loaded with veggies! Very filling and hearty! Zero WW points!
Easy 30-Minute Kale, White Bean, and Chicken Soup — Loaded with juicy chicken, healthy kale, and tender beans! Easy, hearty, and satisfying! Love it when something healthy tastes so good!