Loaded Cheesy Chicken Chowder — Potatoes, chicken, carrots, corn and more!! Thick, creamy, rich, and wonderfully cheesy!! Fast and easy comfort food that everyone loves!!
Easy Chicken Corn Chowder Recipe
One of my favorite soups is Broccoli Cheese Soup. I love the richness, the creaminess, and of course the cheese. My family loves potatoes (and cheese), so this chicken corn chowder soup was an automatic hit.
It’s easy, ready in about a half hour, and the ultimate comfort food. It’s loaded with tender potatoes, juicy chicken, sweet Vidalia onions, carrots, celery, and corn, which all add texture and flavor. Even with soup or chowder I need texture and a variety of vegetables to keep me interested and this does the trick.
It’s thick, creamy, rich, and wonderfully cheesy. We couldn’t get enough of the chowder. The savory, cheesy broth is my ultimate weakness.
What’s in This Chicken Chowder?
To make the chicken corn potato chowder, you’ll need:
- Olive oil
- All-purpose flour
- Chicken broth
- Russet potatoes
- Dried thyme and oregano
- Cayenne pepper
- Cooked shredded chicken
- Sharp cheddar cheese
How to Make Chicken Chowder
In a large stock pot, sauté the onion, carrots, and celery until the veggies begin to soften. Add the garlic, followed by the flour.
Whisk in the chicken broth and milk, then the potatoes, herbs, and spices. Let the mixture simmer for until the potatoes have softened.
Stir in the chicken and corn. Add the cheese last. Make any seasoning adjustments, then serve!
Can You Freeze Chicken Corn Chowder?
I haven’t tried freezing this chowder, but I worry that it will split due to how much dairy is in it. It’d still be safe to eat, but the texture would be grainy.
Tips for Making Chicken and Corn Chowder
The smaller you dice the vegetables, the faster it’ll be ready. I recommend 1/4-inch dice.
Grate your own cheese because pre-grated convenience bags of cheese are resistant to melting.
At any time while the chowder is boiling, if the overall liquid level is lower than you like and the chowder is too thick, adding a cup of extra milk is okay. At the end you will adjust the seasoning levels.
Pin This Recipe
- 3 to 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups sweet Vidalia or yellow onions, peeled and diced small (about 1 medium/large onion)
- 1 cup carrots, peeled and diced small (about 2 large carrots)
- 1 cup celery, diced small (about 2 stalks)
- 4 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 32 ounces (4 cups) low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups milk, or as needed (I use Silk Unsweetened Cashewmilk)
- 3 cups Russet potatoes, peeled and diced into 1/4-inch cubes (about 3 large potatoes)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon pepper, or to taste
- pinch cayenne pepper, optional and to taste
- 2 cups cooked shredded rotisserie chicken (use storebought to save time)
- 3/4 cup corn (I used frozen and added it straight from the freezer)
- 8 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese (grate it yourself, pre-grated cheese in plastic bags is resistant to melting)
- 1/3 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, finely chopped
- To a large Dutch oven or stockpot, add the oil and heat over medium-high heat to warm.
- Add the onion, carrots, celery, and sauté for about 7 to 9 minutes, or until vegetables begin to soften. Stir intermittently.
- Add the garlic and sauté for another 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the flour and whisk constantly until lightly browned, about 1 minute.
- Add the chicken broth, milk, and whisk constantly until slightly thickened, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add potatoes, thyme, oregano, salt, pepper, optional cayenne, and bring to a boil. Allow chowder to boil fairly rapidly for about 15 minutes or until potatoes are fork-tender; stir intermittently. At any time while the chowder is boiling, if the overall liquid level is lower than you like and the chowder is too thick, adding a cup of extra milk is okay. At the end you will adjust the seasoning levels.
- After potatoes are soft, add the chicken, corn, and boil for 1 to 2 minutes to warm the chicken and corn through.
- Reduce the heat to low, add the cheese slowly, and stir continuously until melted and combined.
- Add the parsley and stir to combine.
- Taste chowder and add salt to taste. I added another teaspoon but this will vary based on how salty the brand of chicken broth used is, how salty the rotisserie chicken and cheese are, and personal preference. Make any necessary seasoning adjustments (i.e. more salt, pepper, herbs, etc.) and serve immediately.
Storage: Chowder will keep airtight in the fridge for 5 to 7 days; reheat very gently prior to serving so it doesn’t ‘break’. I haven’t tried freezing the chowder.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 431Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 88mgSodium: 3547mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 4gSugar: 8gProtein: 29g
More Quick Soup Recipes:
Easy 30-Minute Homemade White Chicken Chili — Hearty, healthy, loaded with tender chicken, and packed with bold flavor! Fast and easy comfort food that everyone loves! It’ll be on rotation all winter!
The Best Broccoli Cheese Soup (Better-Than-Panera Copycat) – Make the best soup of your life at home in 1 hour! Beyond words amazing!
Easy 30-Minute Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup — Classic, comforting, and tastes just like grandma made but way easier and faster!! This soup is AMAZING and it’ll be your new favorite recipe!!
Easy 30-Minute Homemade Chicken Tortilla Soup — Chicken, tomatoes, corn, black beans, avocado, cheese, and addictively crunchy tortilla strips! Fast, easy weeknight meal, and better than from a restaurant!
Easy 30-Minute Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup — Why have regular chicken noodle soup when you can have CREAMY instead? Pure comfort food at its finest! Ready in 30 minutes, an instant family favorite, and PERFECT for chilly weather!!
Immune-Boosting Vegetable Soup and Broth – Easy soup that’s healthy, nourishing, and keeps you healthy! Bye-bye germs!
30-Minute Chicken Vegetable Soup — Extra veggies instead of noodles in this HEALTHY, easy chicken soup that’s so FAST to make!! Hearty, filling, and satisfying! Perfect for weeknight dinners and chilly nights!!