Italian Sausage, Peppers & Onions Skillet — This easy one-skillet recipe combines Italian sausage and peppers with sweet Vidalia onions and rice to make a quick dinner that’s ready in 30 minutes! If you’re wondering what to make with Italian sausage tonight, make this!!
Table of Contents
- One-Skillet Italian Sausage, Peppers & Onions
- Ingredients for Sausage, Peppers & Onions Skillet
- How to Make Sausage, Peppers & Onions
- Recipe FAQs
- Recipe Video Tutorial
- Tips for Making Italian Sausage and Peppers
- More Sausage Dinner Recipes:
- Italian Sausage, Peppers & Onions Skillet Recipe
One-Skillet Italian Sausage, Peppers & Onions
I’m all about easy, one-skillet dinners that are ready in 30 minutes. My family is all about flavor and just cares about how something tastes. We were all happy with this dish and the big flavors.
Juicy sausage, sweet Vidalia onions, a hint of garlic, crisp-tender bell peppers, and tender rice.
Rather than yet another chicken and rice dish, I swapped out the chicken and instead used Johnsonville Fresh Italian Hot Sausage Links.
I used hot sausage because I wanted something to stand up and pop against the rice and it wasn’t too hot, but use mild sausage if you prefer.
Ingredients for Sausage, Peppers & Onions Skillet
So many Italian sausage recipes include pasta, but I wanted to pair this flavorful protein without something different. If you’ve been looking Italian sausage recipe without pasta, you’re going to love this skillet!
To make the Italian sausage with peppers and onions and rice, gather the following:
- Olive oil
- Johnsonville Fresh Italian Hot Sausage Links
- Vidalia onions
- Bell peppers
- Instant rice
- Chicken broth
- Fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper
What Type of Italian Sausage Should I Use?
Although I used sausage links for this recipe, Johnsonville also offers Italian sausage in a ground version, which is so convenient if you don’t want to de-case sausage links. Johnsonville’s links and ground Italian sausage — as well as their meatballs and breakfast sausage — come in a variety of flavors and spices, giving you more flavor and saving you time in the kitchen.
Note: Scroll down to the recipe card section of the post for the ingredients with amounts included and for more complete directions.
How to Make Sausage, Peppers & Onions
This Italian sausage meal comes together in about 30 minutes and requires minimal prep. Here’s a rough overview of how the recipe comes together:
- Cook the sausage (removed from its casings) and diced onion in a little olive oil until the sausage is cooked through and the onions are golden.
- Add the peppers and garlic to the skillet and cook for a couple more minutes.
- Stir in the instant rice and chicken broth.
- Cook until the rice absorbs all the liquid, then stir in the fresh parsley and season with salt and pepper, if needed.
I haven’t tried it myself, so I can’t say for sure. You probably can, but you’ll have to play around with the amount of liquid you add to the skillet as well as the cook time.
Or, simply add pre-cooked or leftover rice to the skillet.
Of course! If you don’t have Italian sausage on hand, feel free to substitute another type. Just keep in mind that the sausage I used is fresh, not pre-cooked, which is why I browned it together with the onions.
This sausage and rice recipe reheats well and will keep in the fridge for up to 5 days. I recommend reheating this dish in a skillet with a tablespoon or two of water or broth, just to keep the rice from drying out.
Of course! I specifically wanted to make this Italian sausage recipe without pasta, but you may omit the rice and boil pasta on the side if desired.
Recipe Video Tutorial
Tips for Making Italian Sausage and Peppers
You’re welcome to use any color of bell pepper you have on hand for this sausage, peppers, and onions skillet. And if you only have one color of peppers, that works too!
Make sure you’re using low-sodium chicken broth for this recipe, as Italian sausage often contains salt as well.
And definitely taste this dish before adding extra salt and pepper at the end since it’s naturally salty already!
Pin This Recipe
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound Johnsonville Fresh Italian Hot Sausage Links, de-cased (Johnsonville Fresh Italian Hot Ground Sausage or mild sausage may be substituted)
- 2 cups sweet Vidalia or yellow onion, peeled and diced small (about 1 large onion)
- 2/3 cup red bell pepper, seeded and diced small
- 2/3 cup yellow bell pepper, seeded and diced small
- 3 to 4 garlic cloves, peeled and finely minced
- 2 cups dry/uncooked minute or instant rice
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup fresh Italian flat-leaf parsley leaves, finely minced (stems discarded)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, or to taste
- To a large skillet, add the olive oil, sausage, onion, and sauté for about 8 minutes over medium-high heat, or until sausage is cooked through and onions are lightly golden browned. Stir and flip intermittently.
- Add the peppers, garlic, and sauté for 1 to 2 minutes. Stir intermittently.
- Turn the heat to medium-low, and add the rice, chicken broth, and cook covered for about 5 to 10 minutes or until rice is tender, done, and all liquid has been absorbed.
- Turn off the heat, add the parsley, and stir to combine.
- Taste dish and add salt and pepper, to taste. Serve immediately. Dish will keep airtight in the fridge for 5 days. Reheat gently as necessary.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 648Total Fat: 43gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 28gCholesterol: 98mgSodium: 1233mgCarbohydrates: 41gFiber: 3gSugar: 9gProtein: 27g
More Sausage Dinner Recipes:
Easy Jambalaya with Sausage and Shrimp — The EASIEST and BEST recipe for jambalaya you’ll ever taste that’s ready in 20 minutes!! Juicy sausage and shrimp with tender rice and the PERFECT amount of kick will keep you going back for more!!
Sheet Pan Sausage and Vegetables — If you’re looking for an easy dinner and a way to mix things up from your usual chicken and vegetables this is the ticket and cleanup is a breeze.
30-Minute Italian Sausage, Vegetable, and Rice Soup – EASY, hearty soup that’s full of flavor from the sausage, rice, and vegetables!
15-Minute Mexican Sausage, Black Beans, and Rice Skillet – A FAST and EASY recipe that’s loaded with Mexican-inspired flavors and ingredients!
Sheet Pan Sausage and Potatoes — This EASY sheet pan sausage dinner with just 5 ingredients can be made with your pre-cooked sausage of choice and is ready in 45 minutes!! Hearty comfort food with tons of FLAVOR and the recipe is super customizable!!
One-Pot Italian Sausage Pasta — An EASY comfort food recipe that’s loaded with Italian flavors, ready in 20 minutes, made in ONE pot, and a family favorite!! No need to boil the pasta separately to save time and dishes!!
Sheet Pan Turkey Sausage and Vegetables — An EASY, one-pan recipe the whole family will love!! Seasoned crisp-tender veggies, juicy sausage, and Parmesan cheese for the DELISH dinnertime WIN!!
Post is brought to you by Johnsonville. The recipe, images, text, and opionions expressed are my own. #SausageSunday #JohnsonvilleSausageSwap
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Johnsonville Italian Sausage. The opinions and text are all mine.