Kale Caesar Salad with Fried Chickpeas
This post may contain affiliate links.
I love everything about this salad. It’s not a traditional Caesar salad and that’s what I love about it.
They’re crispy, crunchy, and I added plenty of salt, pepper, and a pinch of cayenne for a kick.
The dressing isn’t traditional because there’s no Worcestershire, egg yolks, or anchovies. But Food & Wine said it’s still a Caesar salad. Sometimes breaking tradition yields the tastiest results.
The dressing clings perfectly to the curly kale leaves and has a delectable savory bite. It will keep airtight in the fridge for up to one week. I love having homemade dressings stashed in the fridge because it makes for easy lunches and fast clean-eating dinners. My daughter loved this salad and said she gives it an 11 out of 10 and asked for one in her lunch the next day. And then a few days later asked me to remake it. High praise from a 9 year old who’s going to town on kale and beans.
There’s Parmesan in the dressing as well as on top of the salad. The more the merrier when it comes to cheese. I love Parmesan and use Parm that’s been aged 24+ months. It’s a little pricier but worth it for the extra sharpness and depth of flavor.
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- one 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained, rinsed, and patted dry with paper towels
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, or taste
- pinch cayenne pepper, optional and to taste
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, finely grated or pressed with a garlic press
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan, plus more for serving
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated sugar, optional and to taste
- curly kale as necessary based on servings needed, chopped into bite-sized pieces with thick ribs and coarse stems removed
- To a large skillet, add the oil and heat over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add the chickpeas and fry, stirring occasionally, until browned and crisp, about 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the chickpeas to paper towels to drain. Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, or to taste, optional cayenne, and toss to coat evenly; set aside.
- To a medium bowl, add the mayonnaise, lemon juice, mustard, garlic, 1/4 cup Parmesan, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and whisk to combine. Taste dressing and check for seasoning balance, making any necessary tweaks to suit personal preference (i.e more lemon juice, mustard, salt, or pepper). I add sugar to balance the savory quality and the acid. Transfer dressing to an airtight container or jar with a lid. Dressing will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 1 week.
- To a large bowl, add the kale, drizzle with dressing as desired, and toss to coat. I prefer to massage the kale with my hands so it’s well coated.
- Transfer kale to a plate, evenly top with grated Parmesan, chickpeas, and serve immediately. Salad is best fresh.
Adapted from Food & Wine
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 500Total Fat: 38gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 30gCholesterol: 26mgSodium: 1163mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 8gSugar: 5gProtein: 12g
Strawberry, Avocado, and Kale Salad with Strawberry-Apple Cider Vinaigrette – Make a kale lover out of anyone in this healthy salad with creamy avocado and juicy berries!
Easy 30-Minute Kale, White Bean, and Chicken Soup – Loaded with juicy chicken, healthy kale, and tender beans! Easy, hearty, and satisfying! Love it when something healthy tastes so good!
Apple, White Cheddar, and Spinach Salad with Honey-Apple Cider Vinaigrette – The flavors just pop in this fast, easy, and healthy salad!
BLT Chopped Salad with Homemade Creamy Buttermilk Ranch Dressing – Fast, fresh, healthy & satisfying!
Loaded Chicken Taco Salad with Creamy Lime-Cilantro Dressing – Fast, easy, fresh and healthy! All your favorite taco flavors in one big kickin’ salad that everyone will love!
Roasted Winter Squash, Cranberry, and Almond Salad with Lemon Dijon Balsamic Vinaigrette (vegan, GF) – A hearty and satisfying salad to help you stay healthy and on track!
Tomato, Mozzarella, and Basil Quinoa Salad – (GF) – Trying to keep meals healthier & lighter? Make this easy, refreshing & satisfying salad!
Lemon, Sun-Dried Tomato, and Almond Quinoa Salad – Fast, easy, and fresh! Bright flavors and loads of texture! This clean-eating salad keeps you full and satisfied! Healthy never tasted so good!
Cranberry, Apple, and Blue Cheese Salad with Cranberry-Apple Cider Dressing – All the flavors of fall in one gorgeous, hearty, and healthy salad!! The easy, tart-and-sweet dressing is just bursting with flavor!
Honey Lemon-Glazed Salmon Salad – Coated with a tangy-sweet glaze that doubles as a light and bright salad vinaigrette! Fast, easy, fresh and healthy! An awesome 15-minute meal!
Sweet and Sour Zucchini Corn Salad – Packed with big, bold flavors and tons of crunch! Healthy, light and not just another salad!
Skinny Mayo-Less Cabbage Salad (vegan, GF) – This healthy cabbage salad/coleslaw isn’t coated with gobs of mayo & you won’t miss it!
Crispy Roasted Parmesan Chickpeas with Spiced Ranch Dip – Crispy, crunchy and cheesy! You’ll want to devour the whole batch!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.