Loaded Cheesy, Bacon, Corn, and Potato Chowder
It’s chilly out and this chowder is just the thing to warm you up.
My family loved the Loaded Cheesy Chicken Potato Chowder I recently made and this recipe is spin on that.
It’s easy, ready in about 45 minutes, and the ultimate comfort food. The smaller you dice the vegetables, the faster it’ll be ready. I recommend 1/4-inch dice.
It’s loaded with savory bacon, juicy corn, tender potatoes, sweet Vidalia onions, carrots, and celery which all add texture and flavor. I need texture and a variety of textures and vegetables to keep me interested and this combination does the trick.
Grate your own cheese because pre-grated convenience bags of cheese are resistant to melting.
And the bacon just makes everything that much better.
Your house will smell cozy and comforting, complete with the scent of bacon, onions, garlic, and potatoes wafting through the air long after the soup is done simmering.
Loaded Cheesy, Bacon, Corn, and Potato Chowder
The chowder is easy, ready in about 45 minutes, and the ultimate comfort food. The smaller you dice the vegetables, the faster it’ll be ready. I recommend 1/4-inch dice. It’s loaded with savory bacon, juicy corn, tender potatoes, sweet Vidalia onions, carrots, and celery which all add texture and flavor. The chowder is thick, creamy, rich, hearty, and wonderfully cheesy. Grate your own cheese because pre-grated convenience bags of cheese are resistant to melting. And bacon just makes everything better.
Yield: about 10 cups
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: about 40 minutes
Total Time: about 50 minutes
- 12 ounces (3/4 of one pound) bacon, diced small
- 2 cups sweet Vidalia or yellow onions, peeled and diced small (about 1 medium/large onion)
- 1 cup carrots, peeled and diced small (about 2 large carrots)
- 1 cup celery, diced small (about 2 stalks)
- 4 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 32 ounces (4 cups) low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups milk, or as needed (I use Silk Unsweetened Cashewmilk)
- 2 1/2 cups Russet potatoes, peeled and diced into 1/4-inch cubes (about 2 extra-large potatoes)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon pepper, or to taste
- pinch cayenne pepper, optional and to taste
- 2 cups corn (I used frozen and added it straight from the freezer)
- 8 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese (grate it yourself, pre-grated cheese in plastic bags is resistant to melting)
- 1/3 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, finely chopped
- To a large Dutch oven or stockpot, add the bacon and cook over medium-high heat until crisp, about 10 minutes; stir intermittently. Using a slotted spoon, remove bacon from pot and place on paper towels; set aside. Keep the bacon grease in the stockpot. You could drain some off if desired but I didn't because there are a lot of vegetables that need to sauté in it.
- Add the onion, carrots, celery, and sauté for about 7 to 9 minutes, or until vegetables begin to soften. Stir intermittently.
- Add the garlic and sauté for another 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the flour and whisk constantly until lightly browned, about 1 minute.
- Add the chicken broth, milk, potatoes, thyme, oregano, salt, pepper, optional cayenne, and bring to a boil. Allow chowder to boil fairly rapidly for about 15 minutes or until potatoes are fork-tender; stir intermittently. At any time while the chowder is boiling, if the overall liquid level is lower than you like and the chowder is too thick, adding a cup of extra chicken broth (or milk or water) is okay. At the end you will adjust the seasoning levels.
- After potatoes are soft, add the corn, and boil for 1 to 2 minutes to warm the corn through.
- Reduce the heat to low, add most of the bacon bits (reserve about 1/4 cup for garnishing), and add the cheese slowly, and stir continuously until melted and combined.
- Add the parsley and stir to combine.
- Taste chowder and add salt to taste. It will vary based on how salty the brand of chicken broth used is, how salty the bacon and cheese are, and personal preference. Make any necessary seasoning adjustments (i.e. more salt, pepper, herbs, etc.), garnish with bacon and cheese if desired, and serve immediately. Chowder will keep airtight in the fridge for 5 to 7 days; reheat very gently prior to serving so it doesn't 'break'. I haven't tried freezing the chowder.
Adapted from Loaded Cheesy Chicken Potato Chowder
Recipe from Averie Cooks. All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you.
Loaded Cheesy Chicken Potato Chowder – Potatoes, chicken, carrots, corn and more! Thick, creamy, rich, and wonderfully cheesy! Fast and easy comfort food that everyone loves!
Easy 30-Minute Homemade White Chicken Chili – Hearty, healthy, loaded with tender chicken, and packed with bold flavor! Fast and easy comfort food that everyone loves! It’ll be on rotation all winter!
Easy 30-Minute Minestrone Soup (Better-Than-Olive-Garden-Copycat) – Homemade is always better and this soup is amazing! The best minestrone ever! Perfect for busy weeknights and it’s healthy!
The Best Broccoli Cheese Soup (Better-Than-Panera Copycat) – Make the best soup of your life at home in 1 hour! Beyond words amazing!
Easy 30-Minute Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup – Classic, comforting, and tastes just like grandma made but way easier and faster!! This soup is AMAZING and it’ll be your new favorite recipe!!
Easy 30-Minute Homemade Chicken Tortilla Soup – Chicken, tomatoes, corn, black beans, avocado, cheese, and addictively crunchy tortilla strips! Fast, easy weeknight meal, and better than from a restaurant!
Immune-Boosting Vegetable Soup and Broth – (vegan, GF) – Easy soup that’s healthy, nourishing, and keeps you healthy! Bye-bye germs!
The Best 30-Minute Lasagna Soup – All the flavor of lasagna minus the work! Loaded with juicy tomatoes, sausage, and topped with melted cheese! Easy, hearty, comfort food that’s perfect for busy weeknights!
Creamy Tomato Soup (vegan, GF) – Panera copycat that’s fast, easy, and healthy!
Roasted Carrot and Red Pepper Peanut Soup (vegan, GF) – Thick, rich, and loaded with smoky flavors!
Creamy Vegan Corn and Red Pepper Blender Soup (gluten-free, soy-free, no added salt) – Ready in 5 minutes and packed with flavor!
Sweet Potato Red Pepper and Coconut Milk Soup (vegan, GF) – Ready in 10 minutes and so thick and satisfying!
Skinny Carrot Potato Soup with Honey Cream – Healthy, hearty, fast, and easy! Packed with flavor and you’ll never miss the fat and calories!