30-Minute Cheesy Avocado Skillet Pizza Bread
This post may contain affiliate links.
This is what you’d get if you crossed cheese bread with avocado.
It’s also vegan, made with whole-wheat flour, and bakes in a skillet with no kneading and no fuss.
The dough comes together in one bowl in minutes, and the bread is ready in 30 minutes. Sold yet?
The recipes are creative and fun, Gaby’s writing is easy-breezy and a joy to read, the photography is stunning, and the book is just wonderful. Two thumbs up.
Reading all those avocado recipes got my wheels turning and I came up with this.
I took advantage of the natural, plant-based healthy fats found in avocado, skipped any butter in the dough, and added just two tablespoons of oil for this big slab ‘ole pizza bread.
Between the seasonings and the cheese, the avocado and sour cream, it’s dense, cheesy, and packed with savory flavor.
Avocado, sour cream, buttermilk, and cheese (use vegan ingredients if desired) keep the bread soft, chewy, and very moist.
It’s so moist that when I placed it on the cooling rack after baking, it released a few tablespoons of water onto the counter. That’s some moist bread. If you’re looking for thin and crispy, dry, light and airy, this isn’t that.
The whole wheat flour adds extra chewiness, texture, and an earthier, nuttier flavor that comes with whole wheat flour.
I love the taste and health benefits of whole wheat flour but it can be tricky to get to rise properly because is has less gluten. However, it’s perfect in dough that it’s okay if it stays flatter and denser, like Whole Wheat Pizza Dough, Honey Whole Wheat Skillet Bread, or this bread.
If you like cheese bread, pizza, or are already an avocado fan, all the bases are covered here.
If you’re not an avocado fan, you’re still in luck because the avocado flavor is hardly noticeable. It adds creaminess, richness, moisture, and softness.
The pizza bread would be great served with a side of guacamole (I ran out of ripe avocados), sour cream, salsa, pico de gallo. And when all else fails, my 6 year old dipped hers in ketchup.
So many bases covered in one recipe. Pizza, bread, cheese, avocado. We were fans.
- 2 medium ripe avocados, mashed (I used Hass)
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk*(see vegan tip if don’t keep it around)
- 1/4 cup sour cream or thick Greek yogurt*
- 2 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
- 2 cups shredded cheese (one 8-ounce package), divided*
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose seasoning blend, or to taste (Mrs. Dash varieties, TJ’s 21 Salute, Lawry’s Seasoning Salt, grill seasoning, etc.)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- pinch salt, optional and to taste (remember buttermilk is salted, cheese has salt, and many seasoning blends contain salt)
- *To Keep Vegan – Use vegan buttermilk. Make by combining 1 1/4 cups non-dairy milk (or regular milk if vegan considerations aren’t important and you just don’t keep buttermilk on hand) with 2 tablespoons white vinegar or lemon juice, let stand for 10 minutes, stir, and use. Use vegan sour cream/yogurt, and vegan cheese to keep recipe vegan.
- Preheat oven to 400F. Spray an enameled 10 1/4-inch cast-iron skillet (or skillet that’s 10 to 12 inches in diameter) with cooking spray, grease a seasoned cast iron skillet, or prepare an oven-safe skillet; set aside. Bread could likely be made in a sprayed 9-by-13-inch pan although I haven’t tested it.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine first four ingredients and whisk to combine.
- Add about 6 ounces of cheese and fold to incorporate.
- Add the remaining ingredients and fold to incorporate. Batter will be lumpy, bumpy, thick, and not at all smooth; don’t overmix and don’t try to make it smooth.
- Turn dough out into skillet. Bake at 400F for 15 minutes.
- Remove skillet from oven, and evenly sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top.
- Lower oven temperature to 350F, return skillet to oven, and bake for 15 minutes, or bread is cooked through and cheese is golden.
- Optionally, place skillet under the broiler for 1 to 2 minutes in order to brown the cheese more. Be very, very careful if you use the broiler so you don’t burn it. It can burn in the span of 1 minute; stand right there and watch it the entire time. I keep the oven door ajar.
- With a large spatula, slide or nudge bread out of skillet and onto a wire rack to cool. Don’t keep it in the skillet because it will continue to cook from the carryover heat. Slice and serve after it’s sufficiently cooled. Serve plain, with guacamole, salsa, sour cream, or your favorite dip. Bread will keep airtight for up to 4 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
30-Minute Honey Whole Wheat Skillet Bread – Fast and so easy to make, you’ll think you left something out
Copycat recipe for Outback Steakhouse Wheat Bread (vegan) – Based Outback’s hearty, wheaty bread, and is ever-so-slightly infused with subtle hints of molasses and honey. Serve with honey butter for even more authenticity
One Hour Whole Wheat Pizza Dough (vegan) – Homemade pizza dough in 1 hour so there’s never an excuse not to make pizza. Free yourself from storebought pizza dough and make your own in an hour and it’s healthier because it’s wheat
Soft Buttery One Hour Pretzels (vegan) – Just like the soft and fluffy pretzels you can buy at the mall, but now you don’t need the mall. In just 1 hour, they’re ready from start to finish and you can customize the dough, toppings, and dip and pretend you have your own pretzel shop at home
Vanilla Avocado Banana Ice Cream (Raw, Vegan, GF)
Cheater’s Guacamole (Raw, Vegan, GF) – 3 minute recipe. No veggie, onion, or garlic chopping required
Avocado, Cream Cheese, and Salsa-Stuffed Puff Pastries (with a vegan option) – This was one of the most popular recipes on my site in 2012, thanks to Pinterest
Thanks for the entries in the $500 Amazon Gift Card Giveaway
How do you enjoy avocados?
What do you like to make in your skillet?
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.