Almond Butter Dark Brown Sugar Chocolate Chip Bars
I’ve made a ton of bars with peanut butter but it’s been years since I’ve baked with almond butter.
These easy, one-bowl, no-mixer bars were worth the wait.
They’re similar to The Best Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies in that there’s no flour but I swapped peanut butter for almond butter. The result is a soft, perfectly chewy bar, minus any gluten. The interaction of the almond butter and egg creates enough for structure that they don’t fall apart but if you love soft bars, these are for you.MY OTHER RECIPES
They have a very rich depth of flavor courtesy of dark brown sugar. It has double the molasses of light brown sugar which plays perfectly with the almond butter.
I used a raw, no-salt almond butter from Trader Joe’s. I wanted the bars to have a slightly salty-sweet quality so I added enough salt given my almond butter to achieve it. If your almond butter is already salted, scale back on the added salt.
All almond butters vary in their consistency and therefore baking times will vary. Thirteen to fourteen minutes is perfect in my oven and climate with my almond butter, but bake until your bars have set up.
Almond Butter Dark Brown Sugar Bars
There’s no flour in these easy, one-bowl, no-mixer bars making them soft, perfectly chewy bar, minus any gluten. They have a very rich depth of flavor courtesy of dark brown sugar which plays perfectly with the almond butter. I used a raw, no-salt almond butter. I wanted the bars to have a slightly salty-sweet quality so I added enough salt given my almond butter to achieve it. If your almond butter is already salted, scale back on the added salt. All almond butters vary in consistency and baking times will vary.
- one 16-ounce jar almond butter (I used raw, no-salt added)
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste (scale back on the salt if your almond butter is salted)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips, plus about 2 tablespoons for sprinkling (I recommend mini chips for better distribution)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line an 8-by-8-inch baking pan with aluminum foil, spray with cooking spray; set aside.
- To a large bowl add the almond butter, dark brown sugar, and whisk until smooth and combined.
- Add the egg, vanilla, salt, baking soda, and stir until combined. Dough will be thick and a bit granular.
- Add 1/2 cup chocolate chips and stir to combine.
- Turn the batter out into prepared pan, packing it with a spatula to form an even, smooth, flat layer.
- Evenly sprinkle with about 2 tablespoons chocolate chips.
- Bake for about 13 to 14 minutes, or until top is set in center and done; don’t overbake or bars will turn crumbly and not hold together. All almond butters vary in thickness, and climates and ovens vary, so baking times will vary. Bars firm up as they cool. Place pan on a wire rack to cool for at least 1 hour before slicing and serving. Bars will keep airtight at room temperature for up to 1 week, or in the freezer for up to 6 months.
All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you.
The Best Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies – Soft, chewy and they’ll be your new fave PB cookies! One bowl, no mixer, no butter, naturally gluten-free! Love it when something so easy tastes so amazing!
Soft Batch Dark Brown Sugar Coconut Oil Cookies – If you’ve never baked with coconut oil, these are a must! Chewy and so soft they’re bendable!
Brown Sugar Maple Cookies – Made with only brown sugar and the cookies have a rich depth flavor with notes of caramel, molasses and the maple pairs perfectly with the flavors!
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Bars – Super soft bars that just melt in your mouth from all the PB! And all the chocolate!
Soft Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bars – Super soft and are like biting into a piece of rich pumpkin fudge! Loaded with chocolate and crazy good!
Gooey Butter Chocolate Chip Shortbread Bars – A buttery shortbread crust topped with a creamy, buttery topping that’s almost like custard! The bars live up to their gooey, buttery name!
Salted Caramel Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Bars – Made with salted caramel PB! Soft, chewy, gooey and so irresistible!
Caramel Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Gooey Bars – Keep the napkins handy for these soft, gooey bars dripping with the best caramel-peanut butter sauce!
Flourless Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Mini Blender Muffins – Gluten-free, grain-free, soy-free, dairy-free, oil-free, refined sugar-free, under 100 calories each! And they taste amazing!