Apple Cinnamon Spice Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
This post may contain affiliate links.
Fresh Apple Bundt Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting — An EASY, one-bowl, no-mixer apple cake that’s to-die-for!! Loaded with juicy apples in every bite, perfectly spiced, and topped with tangy cream cheese frosting! So DELISH!!
Fresh Apple Spice Bundt Cake Recipe
If you’re in need of an easy, one-bowl, no-mixer recipe for apple bundt cake, this is the one to make. It’s loaded with juicy apple chunks in every bite that keep the cake super soft and moist.
The apple bundt cake is richly spiced with cinnamon, allspice, cloves, and nutmeg because there’s nothing worse than bland cake. Actually, dry cake is worse. And thankfully this cake is far from either.
The batter is extremely thick, and as you’re mixing it you may wonder if you’re making blondies or even cookies. But because the apples release so much juice as they bake, the batter has to start uber thick or you’d have a soupy mess that wouldn’t set up.
The apple spice cake doesn’t need frosting, but c’mon all cakes need frosting. The tanginess of the easy cream cheese frosting complements the apples, cinnamon, brown sugar, and spices so perfectly. You can cheat and use a store-bought tub if you’re so inclined. No one will notice.
Apple Bundt Cake Ingredients
For the apple cinnamon bundt cake itself, you’ll need:
- Granulated sugar
- Brown sugar
- Vegetable oil
- Sour cream
- Vanilla extract
- All-purpose flour
- Baking soda
And for the easy cream cheese frosting, you’ll need:
- Cream cheese
- Unsalted butter
- Vanilla extract
- Confectioner’s sugar
What Are the Best Apples for Apple Bundt Cake?
I used Gala apples, but you can use Fuji, Honeycrisp, or your favorite blend of sweet and/or tart apples. The hardest part of the recipe is peeling the apples and I gave them a ‘rough’ peel job. Meaning I got about 80% of the skins off, good enough.
How to Make Apple Bundt Cake
I much prefer making apple cake in a bundt pan because then I don’t have to worry about assembling cake layers or making the presentation pretty — the bundt cake does all the work for me!
Here’s how the apple cinnamon bundt cake comes together:
- Whisk together the eggs, sugars, oil, sour cream, vanilla, cinnamon, allspice, cloves, nutmeg, and salt.
- Then mix in the dry ingredients, followed by the diced apples.
- Turn the batter into a greased 12-cup bundt pan and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let the apple spice bundt cake cool for about 15 minutes in the pan before turning it out to cool on a wire rack.
- Once the cake is completely cool, whip up the cream cheese frosting and spread it over the top of the cake. If desired, dust it with a little extra cinnamon, just because.
Do I Have to Bake This in a Bundt Pan?
No, you could probably get away with using a 9×13-inch pan instead. I’m not sure how much time it’ll need in the oven though, so use your best judgement.
How Do I Make Sure My Bundt Cake Doesn’t Stick to the Pan?
I recommend spraying the pan liberally with a non-stick baking spray with flour OR spraying the pan with non-stick spray and then sprinkling it with flour.
How Do I Get an Apple Bundt Cake Out of the Pan?
Let the cake cool for about 15 minutes in the bundt pan. Then, you should be able to easily flip the cake over onto a wire cooling rack.
If the cake doesn’t immediately release from the pan, give it a few taps to help it out.
How to Store Apple Bundt Cake
This apple cinnamon bundt cake will stay fresh for up to 4 days at room temperature.
If you don’t feel comfortable keeping cream cheese frosting at room temp, you can store your cake in the fridge as well. Just keep in mind that it might dry out in the fridge.
Tips for Making Apple Spice Cake
Batter: Like I mentioned above, the cake batter is very thick. Be careful not to over work the batter in an effort to fold in the diced apples. If you over work the batter, your cake will turn out tough.
Bake time: The cake has to bake for a long time in order to cook through in the center and it’s inevitable that the edges turn a bit crispier. But never fear because taste and texture-wise, the edges are perfect cinnamon-sugar crumbly sandy bits and they balance the dense and moist fresh apple cake so incredibly well.
And because all climates, baking pans, apples and their juiciness levels vary, you need to bake this fresh apple cake cake as long as necessary. It’s a very moist cake and I wouldn’t be surprised if in some climates it could take 60+ minutes to bake.
Cooling time: It’s also important to note that you must wait for your cake to cool completely before frosting it. If you frost the cake while it’s still warm, the homemade cream cheese frosting will slide right off.
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 3/4 cup vegetable or canola oil oil
- 1/4 cup sour cream or Greek yogurt
- 2 to 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 1/2 cups small-diced apples (from about 4 medium/large apples), peeled (I used Gala; substitute with Fuji, Honeycrisp, or your favorite apples)
- 4 ounces brick-style cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted if desired
- ground cinnamon, for dusting
Make the Cake
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray a 12-cup Bundt pan very well with floured cooking spray or grease and flour the pan; set aside.
- To a large bowl, add the eggs, sugars, oil, sour cream, vanilla, cinnamon, allspice, cloves, nutmeg, salt, and whisk to combine.
- Add the flour, baking soda, and stir to combine; batter will be very thick.
- Add the apples and stir to combine.
- Turn batter out into prepared pan and bake for about 55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs; start checking at 40 minutes.
- Allow cake to cool in pan for about 15 minutes before inverting onto a cake stand or serving platter. Allow cake to cool fully before frosting it.
Make the Frosting
- To a large bowl, add the cream cheese, butter, and beat with a handheld electric mixer on high power for about 1 minute, or until smooth and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla, 1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar, and beat on high power until fluffy and combined. If necessary, add additional sugar to achieve desired frosting consistency.
- Evenly turn frosting out over the top of the cake and smooth it gently with a spatula or knife.
- Evenly dust with cinnamon before serving.
- Cake will keep airtight at room temp for up to 4 days or in the fridge for up to 1 week. I’m comfortable storing frosted items at room temp but if you’re not, store in the fridge noting that cake will be more prone to drying out.
Because all climates, baking pans, apples and their juiciness levels vary, bake the cake as long as necessary. It’s a very moist cake and I wouldn’t be surprised if in some climates it could take 60+ minutes to bake.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 438Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 62mgSodium: 210mgCarbohydrates: 85gFiber: 2gSugar: 65gProtein: 6g
More Apple Dessert Recipes:
Carrot Apple Cream Cheese Cake — If you like carrot cake, you’re going to LOVE this version that includes apples and a tunnel of cream cheese that runs through the center!! EASY, amazing, and a MUST-MAKE!!
Apple Pie Bread with Streusel Topping — If you like apple crumble pie, you’re going to love this EASY no-mixer apple pie bread!! Soft, tender, moist bread with the contrast of the slightly crunchy crumble topping is PERFECT!
Apple Fritter Bread – Soft, fluffy bread that’s stuffed AND topped with apples, cinnamon, and sugar! Like apple fritters in bread form!
Carrot Apple Bread – Carrot cake with apples added and baked as a bread so it’s healthier! Super moist, packed with flavor, fast and easy!
Cinnamon Spice Applesauce Bread with Honey Butter – Applesauce keeps this bread so soft & moist! It’s like apple spice cake, disguised as ‘bread’ so you can have extra!
5-Minute Microwave Apple Cinnamon Crumble For One – 5-minute easy recipe that’s perfect for breakfast or snacks!
Caramel Apple Crumble Foil Packs — Easy, zero cleanup, made on the grill (or oven) in record time, and delish! Juicy apples, chewy crumble topping, and luscious salted caramel!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.