Apple Cinnamon Spice Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
Apple Cinnamon Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting – An EASY, one-bowl, no-mixer apple cake that’s to-die-for!! Loaded with juicy apples in every bite, perfectly spiced, and topped with tangy cream cheese frosting! So DELISH!!
If you’re in need of an easy, one-bowl, no-mixer apple cake recipe, this is the one to make.
It’s loaded with juicy apple chunks in every bite that keep the cake super soft and moist.
The cake is richly spiced with cinnamon, allspice, cloves, and nutmeg because there’s nothing worse than bland cake. Actually dry cake is worse. And thankfully this cake is far from either.
The batter is extremely thick and as you’re mixing it you may wonder if you’re making blondies or even cookies. But because the apples release so much juice as they bake, the batter has to start uber thick or you’d have a soupy mess that wouldn’t set up.
The cake has to bake for a long time in order to cook through in the center and it’s inevitable that the edges turn a bit crispier. But never fear because taste and texture-wise, the edges are perfect cinnamon-sugar crumbly sandy bits and they balance the dense and moist cake so incredibly well.
I used Gala apples but you can use Fuji, Honeycrisp, or your favorite blend of sweet and/or tart apples. The hardest part of the recipe is peeling the apples and I gave them a ‘rough’ peel job. Meaning I got about 80% of the skins off, good enough.
The cake doesn’t need frosting but c’mon all cakes need frosting. The tanginess of the cream cheese frosting complements the apples, cinnamon, brown sugar, and spices so perfectly. You can cheat and use a store bought tub if you’re so inclined. No one will notice.
Apple Cinnamon Spice Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
Apple Cinnamon Spice Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting – An EASY, one-bowl, no-mixer apple cake that’s to-die-for!! Loaded with juicy apples in every bite, perfectly spiced, and topped with tangy cream cheese frosting! So DELISH!!
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 3/4 cup vegetable or canola oil oil
- 1/4 cup sour cream or Greek yogurt
- 2 to 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 1/2 cups small-diced apples (from about 4 medium/large apples), peeled (I used Gala; substitute with Fuji, Honeycrisp, or your favorite apples)
- one 14-ounce tub store bought whipped cream cheese frosting
- 4 ounces brick-style cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted if desired
- ground cinnamon, for dusting
- Cake – Preheat oven to 350F. Spray a 12-cup Bundt pan very well with floured cooking spray or grease and flour the pan; set aside.
- To a large bowl, add the eggs, sugars, oil, sour cream, vanilla, cinnamon, allspice, cloves, nutmeg, salt, and whisk to combine.
- Add the flour, baking soda, and stir to combine; batter will be very thick.
- Add the apples and stir to combine. Turn batter out into prepared pan and bake for about 55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs; start checking at 40 minutes. Allow cake to cool in pan for about 15 minutes before inverting onto a cake stand or serving platter. Allow cake to cool fully before frosting it.
- Frosting – Use store bought frosting and skip to step 7, OR to a large bowl, add the cream cheese, butter, and beat with a handheld electric mixer on high power for about 1 minute, or until smooth and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla, 1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar, and beat on high power until fluffy and combined. If necessary, add additional sugar to achieve desired frosting consistency.
- Evenly turn frosting out over the top of the cake and smooth it gently with a spatula or knife.
- Evenly dust with cinnamon before serving. Cake will keep airtight at room temp for up to 4 days or in the fridge for up to 1 week. I’m comfortable storing frosted items at room temp but if you’re not, store in the fridge noting that cake will be more prone to drying out.
Recipe Notes and Tips:
Because all climates, baking pans, apples and their juiciness levels vary, bake the cake as long as necessary. It’s a very moist cake and I wouldn’t be surprised if in some climates it could take 60+ minutes to bake.
All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you.
Spiced Apple and Banana Bundt Cake with Vanilla Caramel Glaze – Apple cake meets banana bread with a to-die-for glaze! Best.ever.
Apple Fritter Bread – Soft, fluffy bread that’s stuffed AND topped with apples, cinnamon, and sugar! Like apple fritters in bread form!
Carrot Apple Bread – Carrot cake with apples added and baked as a bread so it’s healthier! Super moist, packed with flavor, fast and easy!
Cinnamon Spice Applesauce Bread with Honey Butter – Applesauce keeps this bread so soft & moist! It’s like apple spice cake, disguised as ‘bread’ so you can have extra!
Caramel Apple Crumble Pie – Apple Pie meets Apple Crumble meets plenty of gooey caramel. Easy, fast, 5-minutes to assemble. Goofproof recipe for those of us who aren’t pie-makers!
Caramel Apple Cheesecake Crumble Bars – Move over apple pie! These are an apple pie, apple crumble and cheesecake all in one! YUM!
5-Minute Microwave Apple Cinnamon Crumble For One (vegan, gluten-free) – 5-minute easy recipe that’s perfect for breakfast or snacks!
Caramel Apple Cinnamon Roll Bake – The soft and gooey factor of a Cinnabon with apples and so much caramel sauce! Easy, ready in 30 minutes, and uses storebought cinnamon roll dough to save time! One of the BEST desserts ever!
Caramel Apple Crumble Foil Packs – Easy, zero cleanup, made on the grill (or oven) in record time, and delish! Juicy apples, chewy crumble topping, and luscious salted caramel!