Baked Bacon Cheddar French Toast
This post may contain affiliate links.
Baked Bacon Cheddar French Toast – No need to stand at the stove to flip and babysit your French toast with this easy BAKED version!! Plenty of bacon and melted cheddar for the perfect savory, comfort-food French toast that’s great for breakfast, brunch, or brinner!!
Baked Bacon and Cheddar French Toast Recipe
I am a big fan of baked French toast because it’s so easy – no flipping and no babysitting at the stove required!
An easy comfort food French toast recipe that’s ready in 30 minutes is what you’re looking at with this baked bacon cheddar French toast.
Rather than a sweet version of French toast, this is a decadent savory version complete with cream cheese, smoked bacon, and plenty of cheddar cheese.
It’s the perfect hearty winter breakfast, or serve it for a holiday brunch, or those times when you’re feeling like breakfast-for-dinner.
Ingredients In Bacon Cheddar Baked French Toast
For this baked French toast, you’ll need:
- White bread
- Cream cheese
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- Uncooked smoked bacon
- Cheddar cheese
- Fresh rosemary, optional
How To Make French Toast with Bacon and Cheddar Cheese
Begin by spreading a thin layer of cream cheese over each slice of bread.
Whisk together the egg, milk, salt and pepper, and then plunge each slice of bread briefly in the egg mixture.
Arrange the bread slices in a 8×11-inch or similar-sized baking dish.
Evenly sprinkle with cubed bacon, pressing some of it in between the bread slices.
Evenly sprinkle with cheddar cheese, optional rosemary, and bake for about 30 minutes or until the cheese is lightly golden browned and the bacon is cooked through.
What Kind Of Bread To Use for Baked French Toast
I used semi-stale white sandwich bread, nothing fancy at all. I find that day-old, or bread that is on the more stale side, is best for baked French toast because it stands up better to the egg-milk mixture without getting soggy.
You could also use a French baguette, French roll, or your favorite kind of bread that you have on hand.
Although I haven’t tried it, I bet something like diced Asiago cheese bagels would be so tasty. I have a sweet Baked Bagel French Toast recipe that is great for using up an excess of bagels you may have on hand. Hello Costco two-for-one bagel sales.
Tips For The Best Baked Bacon Cheddar French Toast
If you’re a person who likes a little sweet with your savory, drizzling a touch of honey over the final dish is a nice touch.
Although you may have fresh rosemary on hand thanks to this recipe coming at you right after Thanksgiving, if you don’t but have say fresh thyme that would be a suitable substitution.
I always have shredded cheddar cheese on hand, but if you’re looking for something a bit more gooey, using shedded mozzarella cheese will give you that ultra-melty goodness like you’d get on pizza.
Other cheeses worth a try could be Monterey Jack, Pepper Jack, or Colby.
- 12 slices day-old or semi-stale white bread
- 1/2 cup softened cream cheese, divided
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 cups milk*
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1 cup uncooked smoked bacon, cubed or sliced in small pieces (or your favorite bacon)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese or cheddar cheese blend
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary finely minced, optional (fresh thyme may be substituted)
- 2 to 3 tablespoons honey
- Preheat oven to 375F and spray an 8x11-inch or similar-sized casserole or baking dish with cooking spray; set aside.
- Spread each of the 12 slices of bread evenly with cream cheese on one side of the bread. I used an averagely thick amount of cream cheese, but you can go thin or thick, depending on your preference. I find it easiest to do this on a clean countertop and just keep the bread on the counter.
- To a large bowl, add the egg, milk, salt, pepper, and whisk to combine.
- Briefly dunk each slice of bread in the milk mixture. You don't want it soaking wet or it will disintegrate. After dunking, I put each slice immediately in the prepared baking dish, with each successive sliced stacked next to it.
- Evenly sprinkle the bacon over the bread, gently nudging some bacon down in between the bread slices.
- Evenly sprinkle with the cheese, and again, gently nudge a bit of the cheese in between each slice of bread so it's not just all mounded up on top.
- Optionally, evenly sprinkle with the rosemary and bake for about 30 minutes, or until cheese has melted and is nicely golden browned in color or to your liking, and the bacon is cooked through.
- Optionally, for a sweet-and-savory flavor, evenly drizzle with honey. If you're not into sweet-and-savory flavor combos, definitely omit the honey.
- Serve immediately. French toast is best fresh but will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 5 days and can be gently reheated.
*I used whole cow's milk. 2% cow's milk or another non-dairy milk such as almond or soy are fine to use.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 353Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 101mgSodium: 923mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 0gSugar: 10gProtein: 17g
Favorite Baked French Toast Recipes:
Caramel Overnight French Toast Casserole — EASY, soft, tender, and decadent French toast that’s coated in caramel sauce!! Assemble it the night before and wake up to an amazing breakfast or brunch that everyone will ADORE!!
Overnight Syrup-On-The-Bottom French Toast – Assemble it the night before and wake up to AMAZING French toast the next morning!! An EASY homemade syrup layer on the bottom with super SOFT challah bread on top! Great for brunches and holiday mornings!!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana-Stuffed French Toast – A decadent twist on peanut butter and banana sandwiches!! Great for lazy weekend mornings or holiday brunches!
Overnight Gingerbread French Toast Breakfast Bake – Easy, make-ahead French toast that’s perfect for winter weekends or Christmas morning! Easy, no-flipping-required recipe!
Cannoli French Toast Rollups – Don’t settle for plain French toast when you can roll it up with cannoli filling! Sweet, creamy, luscious, and loaded with chocolate chips! Easy and perfect for lazy weekend mornings or holiday brunches!
Hawaiian Bread and Maple Banana Baked French Toast – Super soft Hawaiian bread with maple and bananas! So easy because it’s baked! A hit with everyone!
Croissant French Toast – Soft, tender, and so buttery it just melts in your mouth! Fast, easy, and a breakfast worth waking up for!
Baked Bagel French Toast with Maple Glaze – Soft, chewy bagels make the best French toast! So easy, no flipping required, and tastes phenomenally good!
Cinnamon-Sugar Streusel Baked French Toast – The perfect breakfast! No stovetop flipping and you can make it ahead of time!
Cinnamon Sugar French Toast Sticks – Portable French toast that’s just begging to be dunked! Fast, easy, and double-dipping is totally ok!
Pumpkin Cinnamon Overnight Pull-Apart French Toast – Make breakfast the night before and pop it in the oven the next morning! So easy!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.