Caramel Cream Poke Cake
This post may contain affiliate links.
I’ve been on a rampage with poke-style cakes lately. It’s because I’d rather eat no cake than eat a dry one.
This one reminds me of a cheater’s version of Tres Leches Cake because it’s sweet and creamy. Rather than make a scratch 5-egg cake with three kinds of milk, I used yellow cake mix for this easy cake. And guess what, my family preferred this cake to Tres Leches. I love them both and will always have a soft spot for my beloved Tres Leches, but in terms of ease this cake is the way to go.
After baking the cake, poke holes in it, and pour a mixture of caramel ice cream topping and heavy cream over the top.
Sundae sauce is thinner than the caramel sauce drizzled over the top of the cake and the cake soaks up the sauce beautifully. It adds creamy caramel flavor and keeps the cake moist and tender. The cake just melts in your mouth.
Whipped topping and drizzled salted caramel complete the cake. The contrast of the whipped topping and the salted caramel adds a salty-sweet element which I love. This is a perfect party cake and will be a guaranteed winner.
- one 16.50-ounce box yellow cake mix (I used Duncan Hines but you can use this scratch recipe
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 6 ounces caramel sundae topping (I just eyeball it and use half of one 12-ounce jar)
- one 8-ounce container whipped topping, thawed (I used fat-free)
- about 1/3 cup salted caramel sauce, for drizzling (storebought or homemade
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a 9×13-inch pan with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray; set aside.
- Make cake according to package directions (likely adding 3 eggs, water, and oil) and bake as directed.
- While the cake bakes combine the heavy cream, caramel sundae topping, and whisk to combine; set aside.
- Remove cake from the oven when it’s done (probably about 23 to 28 minutes) and use a fork to poke holes all over the cake. I didn’t count but I estimate I poked the cake in about 100 places, evenly spaced over the surface.
- Slowly pour the caramel and cream mixture over the cake, taking your time to evenly distribute it. Place cake in the fridge for about 15 minutes to cool slightly before adding the whipped topping so it doesn’t melt.
- Remove cake from the fridge, evenly spread the whipped topping over the surface, and evenly drizzle with salted caramel sauce. Cover cake and refrigerate for at least 2 hours (overnight is best) before slicing and serving. Cake will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 254Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 20mgSodium: 272mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 0gSugar: 20gProtein: 2g
Sweet Cream Vanilla Coffee Cake – You’ll never guess what special ingredient keeps this fast & easy cake so soft and moist!
The Best Tres Leches Cake – Soft, tender, and soaked with three milks! It just melts in your mouth and it’s the BEST tres leches cake ever!! You need to try this AMAZING cake!!
Better-Than-Anything Peanut Butter Cake – A peanut butter lovers dream: PB, PB chips, and PB cups! An easy, no-mixer poke cake that’s drenched with caramel to keep it super moist! Lives up to it’s name and tastes amazing!
Better-Than-Anything Chocolate Cake – Worthy of its name and one of the BEST cakes you will EVER eat! Doesn’t get any better than chocolate, caramel, whipped topping, and candy in an easy, no-mixer cake!
Buttery Crumb Coffee Cake – A soft, fluffy cake with cinnamon-brown sugar streusel CRUMBS and a perfectly sweet glaze!! An easy coffee cake that’s perfect for brunch, holidays, or anytime you’re craving cake!
Pineapple Poke Cake with Pineapple Glaze – Fast, easy, one-bowl, no mixer, from-scratch cake that’s easier than a mix! The glaze soaks into every inch and you’ll be in juicy pineapple heaven!
Easy Yellow Cake with Buttercream Frosting – If you’ve never made a scratch cake, try this one!! Fast, easy, foolproof, one bowl, and tastes so good! It’s a keeper!
Easy Homemade Funfetti Cake – Move over storebought cake mix!! This easy cake only takes minutes to make and tastes wayyyy better!
Lemon Buttermilk Cake with Lemon Glaze – An easy little cake with big lemon flavor! Soft, fluffy, and foolproof if you like puckering up!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.