Butterscotch Toffee Poke Cake
This post may contain affiliate links.
Toffee Butterscotch Cake — Butterscotch sundae topping isn’t just for ice cream – it makes AWESOME poke cakes!! Along with the irresistibly crunchy toffee bits, this is a perfect fast and EASY cake everyone will love!!
Easy Poke Cake Recipe
If you love poke cakes like I do, this is one that is fast and easy to make and it’s sure to be a hit with everyone. This is a great summer party, picnic, or potluck cake because it’s nice and light, and the butterscotch and whipped topping aspects makes me think of ice cream sundaes in the summer.
Since I love yellow cake, this cake is right up my alley. Soft, buttery, tender, and oh so good.
The mixture of butterscotch sundae topping and sweetened condensed milk seeps into the holes you poke into the cake and adds a nostalgic kind of flavor. Butterscotch anything reminds me of my grandmas.
The mixture also keeps the cake incredibly moist and juicy. I never met a poke cake or a tres leches cake that I didn’t love for that very reason.
The whipped cream gives the cake a lighter and airier feeling than frosting would and makes you want to keep having just one more bite. The toffee bits on top add a great contrast in texture to this otherwise tender cake.
What’s in Butterscotch Cake?
To make this butterscotch cake recipe, you’ll need:
- Boxed yellow cake mix
- Butterscotch sundae syrup
- Sweetened condensed milk
- Whipped topping
- Toffee bits
How to Make Toffee Butterscotch Cake
Simply prepare a box of yellow cake mix according to the package directions, bake the cake, and poke holes in it with the blunt end of a wooden spoon when it’s done.
Then, pour a mixture of butterscotch sundae topping and sweetened condensed milk over the holes before topping the cake with whipped topping and toffee bits.
I love poke cakes because they are fast and easy to make and generally start out with a baking shortcut, i.e. a box of cake mix. No shame there, folks.
This cake super fast and easy to make. I had it in the oven, baked it, holes poked and mixture poured in, and the cake resting in the fridge in 45 minutes flat. Great if you need a last minute dessert!
What Brand of Cake Mix Should I Use?
Any brand you’d like! I prefer Duncan Hines, but you can use your favorite. I bet you can also make this recipe with a gluten-free yellow cake mix, if needed.
Can I Make This Cake in Advance?
Yes! You can make the cake up to a day or two in advance and keep it in the fridge until you’re ready to serve it. Poke cakes in my opinion are always best after at least an overnight stint in the fridge, but hold perfectly well for a few days in the fridge.
Just add the whipped topping and toffee bits before serving.
Tips for Making a Butterscotch Poke Cake
Note that this recipe calls for sweetened condensed milk and NOT evaporated milk. They’re two totally different milk products.
Once you’ve poked the cake all over and poured the milk and butterscotch syrup on top, the cake needs to chill for at least 2 hours in the fridge. This gives the cake time to soak up the butterscotch mixture and makes it ultra moist.
This cake actually tastes best on days two and three. The whipped topping will deflate a bit over time, but that’s okay!
- one 15.25-ounce box yellow cake mix
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 12-ounce jar butterscotch sundae syrup or ice cream topping
- half of one 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 12-ounce whipped topping, thawed (I used lite)
- 1/2 cup toffee bits
- Preheat oven to 350F, line a 9x13-inch pan with foil for easier cleanup, and spray with cooking spray; set aside.
- To a large bowl, add the cake mix, eggs, water, oil, and mix on high-speed with a handheld electric mixer for about 2 minutes. Turn batter out into prepared pan and bake the cake for about 23 to 25 minutes, or a toothpick that's inserted in the center comes out clean.
- After taking the cake out of the oven, using the blunt end of a wooden spoon, poke about 75 holes evenly over the surface of the cake, poking nearly to the bottom of the cake; set aside.
- To a medium bowl, add the butterscotch topping, sweetened condensed milk, whisk to combine, and slowly and evenly pour over the surface of the cake. Run a spatula back and forth as necessary over the surface of the cake to encourage the mixture to sink down into the holes.
- Cover cake and place it in the fridge for at least 2 hours, or until chilled. For a make-ahead option, note that the cake will keep in the fridge for a couple of days before serving it.
- Before serving, evenly spread the whipped topping over the cake, evenly sprinkle with the toffee bits, and serve.
Storage: Cake will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 5 days, noting it may get more soggy as time passes.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 401Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 57mgSodium: 274mgCarbohydrates: 62gFiber: 0gSugar: 51gProtein: 4g
More Easy Poke Cake Recipes:
All of me Poke Cake Recipes!
Honey Bun Poke Cake – Tastes like a Honey Bun in cake form!! Sweet, rich, decadent, and reminds me of the Honey Buns I used to eat as a kid! Fast and EASY!!
Caramel Cream Poke Cake – A creamy caramel mixture soaks into soft yellow cake before being topped with whipped cream and more CARAMEL!! An easy cake that’s a guaranteed WINNER especially with caramel lovers!!
The Best Tres Leches Cake – Soft, tender, and soaked with three milks! It just melts in your mouth and it’s the BEST tres leches cake ever!! You need to try this AMAZING cake!!
Coconut Caramel Poke Cake – An incredibly EASY super moist cake thanks to a creamy caramel mixture that’s poked into the cake!! Topped with crispy toasted coconut, this cake is a DELISH winner!!
Better-Than-Anything Peanut Butter Cake – A peanut butter lovers dream: PB, PB chips, and PB cups! An easy, no-mixer poke cake that’s drenched with caramel to keep it super moist! Lives up to it’s name and tastes amazing!
Red Velvet Poke Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting – If you like red velvet, you’re going to LOVE this EASY cake!! Super soft, moist, topped with luscious cream cheese frosting and chocolate chips! Perfect for holidays and special events!!
Strawberries and Cream Poke Cake — This strawberry Jello cake uses just four ingredients and is a hit at parties and potlucks! It’s a moist, refreshing dessert you’ll definitely want seconds of!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.