Strawberries and Cream Poke Cake
I’m a huge fan of poke cakes because they’re incredibly moist and tender.
If you’re not familiar, poke cakes are cakes that have holes poked in them after baking and a sweet sauce is poured in which both flavors the cake and keeps it squishy soft. No chance of a dry cake.
Normally the sweet sauces that I’ve used in poke cakes are sweetened condensed milk, caramel sauce, and peanut butter. Strawberry is a first for me and it won’t be the last.MY OTHER RECIPES
The cake is super moist yet light, airy, and not heavy in the least. It’s refreshing on a warm day because it’s stored in the fridge and served chilled. It’s the kind of cake you’ll want to take a fork right into the cake pan and keep straightening the rows.
The cake is incredibly easy and uses only 4 main ingredients: cake mix, strawberry Jell-O, Cool Whip, and strawberries. Yes, plenty of baking shortcuts which makes this a fast, easy, and foolproof cake that’s perfect for spring and summer parties or potlucks.
If you want to keep this cake more homemade than semi-homemade you can make a double batch of this scratch vanilla cake rather than cake mix. Although you could whip your own cream, it will likely deflate within a day and you’ll have a #cakefail on your hands. I prefer Cool Whip because it’s much more stable and doesn’t deflate.
I love the tie-dyed appearance of the white cake with red Jell-O streaks. I used regular (not sugar-free) Jell-O and can’t speak to the results if you use sugar-free. The strawberries and whipped cream (err…whipped topping) is such a classic and perfect combination.
Strawberries and Cream Poke Cake
This poke cake is tender, moist, and squishy soft. The cake is super moist yet light, airy, and refreshing on a warm day because it’s served chilled. The cake is incredibly easy and uses only 4 main ingredients: cake mix, strawberry Jell-O, Cool Whip, and strawberries. Baking shortcuts make this a fast, easy, and foolproof cake that’s perfect for parties or potlucks. I love the tie-dyed appearance of the white cake with red streaks.
- one 15.25-ounce box white cake mix (I used Duncan Hines but you can use this scratch recipe), plus ingredients to make the cake (likely 3 egg whites, water, and oil)
- 1 cup boiling water
- one 3-ounce package strawberry Jell-O
- 1/2 cup cold water
- one 8-ounce container whipped topping, thawed (I used fat-free)
- fresh strawberries sliced for garnishing, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a 9×13-inch pan with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray; set aside.
- Make cake according to package directions (likely adding 3 egg whites, water, and oil) and bake as directed.
- Remove cake from the oven when it’s done (probably about 23 to 28 minutes) and use a fork to poke holes all over the cake. I didn’t count but I estimate I poked the cake in about 100 places, evenly spaced over the surface; set cake aside.
- To a large microwave-safe measuring cup, add 1 cup water and bring to a boil, about 90 seconds on high power.
- Add the Jell-O and whisk to combine until Jell-O has fully dissolved.
- Add 1/2 cold water and whisk to combine.
- Slowly and evenly pour the Jell-O water over the cake, taking your time to evenly distribute it. Cover and place cake in the fridge for about 3 hours.
- Remove cake from the fridge, evenly spread the whipped topping over the surface, cover cake, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours (overnight is even better) before slicing, garnishing with strawberries, and serving. Tip – Don’t add the strawberries until immediately prior to serving because they can get a little mushy if they’re sitting in Cool Whip in the fridge. Cake will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Lightly adapted from Kraft
All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you.
Check out 40+ Strawberry Recipes HERE!
Strawberry Custard Bars – Easy no mixer bars with a shortbread crust, one pound of fresh berries, a layer of sweet custard, and creamy whipped topping! A perfect warm weather dessert that everyone loves!
Strawberry Lemonade Bars – Imagine crossing lemon bars with a strawberry pie. These easy bars taste like strawberry lemonade! Sooo good!
Strawberry Cheesecake Bars – Soft, buttery bars topped with cheesecake and swirled with strawberry jam! The best of all worlds in these fast, easy, and amazing bars!
Strawberry Sweet Rolls with Vanilla Cream Cheese Glaze – Soft, buttery rolls filled with strawberry jam and topped with a sweet and tangy cream cheese glaze!
Pineapple Poke Cake with Pineapple Glaze – Fast, easy, one-bowl, no mixer, from-scratch cake that’s easier than a mix! The glaze soaks into every inch and you’ll be in juicy pineapple heaven!
Caramel Cream Poke Cake – A creamy caramel mixture soaks into soft yellow cake before being topped with whipped cream and more caramel! An easy cake that’s a guaranteed winner especially with caramel lovers!
Sweet Cream Vanilla Coffee Cake – You’ll never guess what special ingredient keeps this fast & easy cake so soft and moist!
The Best Tres Leches Cake – Soft, tender, and soaked with three milks! It just melts in your mouth and it’s the BEST tres leches cake ever!! You need to try this AMAZING cake!!