Chocolate Kiss Powder Puff Cookies
This post may contain affiliate links.
Powder Puff Chocolate Kiss Cookies — These chocolate Kiss cookies are like a cheater’s version of Russian teacakes. But enhanced with a chocolate Kiss. And you only need 3 ingredients to make them!
Easy Chocolate Kiss Cookies
Growing up, it was an annual holiday baking tradition that my mom and grandma would bake Russian tea cakes. They loved them, but of all the holiday treats they’d bake, tea cakes were the last thing I’d reach for. In a sea of sprinkles, fudge, barks, and homemade caramels, they just couldn’t compete. Too boring.
So I decided to re-vamp tea cakes and made powder puffs, which turned out to be the easiest cookies ever. I sliced a sheet of store-bought pie crust into two-inch squares and placed a chocolate Kiss in the center of each square before sealing the edges, patting into a mound, and baking.
After baking, I dredged the puffs through confectioners’ sugar, which I still call powdered sugar in my head. Cookbook editors say the proper term is confectioners’ sugar, but you can’t have powder puffs without powdered sugar.
The contrast of the flaky, buttery pie crust with the dense, smooth chocolate interior is wonderful. The puffs are pretty small and it’s easy to pop quite a few. Whoops. Melt in your mouth, not in your hand.
What’s in Powder Puff Chocolate Kiss Cookies?
To make these pie crust cookies, you’ll need:
- Store-bought pie crust
- Chocolate Kisses
- Confectioner’s sugar
Really, that’s it! This is easy holiday baking at its finest.
How to Make Chocolate Kiss Cookies
Place the pie crust onto a floured surface and cut into two-inch squares. Because the crust is likely a circle, a couple sections may be a bit skimpy. If that happens, take crust from two skimpy sections and smoosh it together to make a section big enough to contain a Kiss. This is not an exact science, it’s okay if not all sections are exactly the same size.
Place one Kiss in the middle of each square, then pinch the dough around it to seal it in. Bake the chocolate Kiss cookies for roughly 15 minutes.
Let the Kiss cookies cool for another 1o to 15 minutes until cool enough to dredge in sugar.
Can I Use Homemade Pie Crust?
Yes, if you want to make your own pie crust, be my guest. I don’t. If you’re an avid pie crust make and find yourself with scraps, here’s a way to use them.
Can I Make This Gluten-Free?
If you have a store-bought gluten-free pie crust that you’ve used before and trust, go ahead and try it in this recipe!
Tips for Making Chocolate Kiss Cookies
A fun twist on these pie crust cookies would be to use mini Reese’s or Rolos instead of chocolate Kisses. You’d prep the powder puff cookies the exact same way, just with a different filling.
Be sure to tightly seal the Kiss inside the pie dough. I sealed the cookies at the top and then flattened it out a bit with my hand so it wouldn’t be obvious after the cookies had baked.
Lastly, start checking the chocolate Kiss cookies at the 13-minute mark. You don’t want to overbake these, as the bottoms burn easily.
- one sheet pie crust that makes a 9-inch pie, thawed (I used Trader Joe’s; homemade may be substituted)
- about 15 chocolate kisses (Mini Peanut Butter Cups or Rolos may be substituted)
- about 3/4 cup confectioners’ sugar, for dredging
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with a Silpat or spray with cooking spray; set aside.
- Place pie crust on a lightly floured surface and using a pizza wheel, slice into approximately 16 sections, about 2-inch squares. Because the crust is likely a circle, if you make 4 rows of 4, a couple sections may be a bit skimpy so take crust from two skimpy sections and smoosh it together to make a section big enough to contain a Kiss. This is not an exact science, it’s okay if not all sections are exactly the same size.
- Place one chocolate kiss in the center of each section.
- Using your fingertips, seal the dough at the top to fully contain the kiss. Pat smooth with your palms and flatten slightly into a mound. Place mound on prepared baking sheet; repeat with remaining crust sections and kisses until gone.
- Bake for about 15 to 17 minutes, or until crust is just set and done; puffs firm up as they cool. The tops will appear fairly pale while the undersides will be more golden; don’t overbake or the undersides could burn. Watch puffs closely starting at about 13 minutes since all ovens and ingredients vary.
- Allow puffs to cool on baking tray for about 15 minutes, or until cool enough to handle before dredging each puff liberally in confectioners’ sugar. Serve immediately.
- Puffs will keep airtight for up to 1 week at room temp or in the freezer for up to 4 months.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 116Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 69mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 1gSugar: 10gProtein: 1g
More Easy Christmas Cookie Recipes:
Hot Chocolate Cookies — These gooey hot chocolate cookies are complete with big gooey marshmallows and chunks of melted dark chocolate. This is the perfect holiday cookie recipe!
Softbatch No-Roll Holiday Sprinkles Cookies — These tender, buttery holiday cookies use a no-roll dough with the sprinkles baked right in so you don’t even have to decorate them!
Big Soft and Chewy Peanut Butter Crinkle Cookies — These soft peanut butter cookies are the peanut butter version of a molasses crinkle. They’re soft, supremely chewy, and have an old-fashioned peanut butter cookie flavor!
Soft and Chewy Molasses Gingerdoodles — I combined three favorite cookies into one. Soft molasses cookies, chewy gingerbread cookies, and crinkly snickerdoodles!
Chocolate Cake Mix M&M’s Cookies — Foolproof cookies made with just 5 ingredients!! If you’re craving chocolate and want to make super EASY cookies that are soft, FUDGY, and delicious, this is the recipe to make!!
Softbatch Cream Cheese Chocolate Chip Cookies — These soft batch cookies are made with a combination of butter and cream cheese, which makes them extra rich and delicious!
One-Bowl, No-Mixer, No-Chill Oatmeal Cookies — An incredibly FAST and EASY recipe that produces perfectly thick cookies with chewy edges and soft centers!! One bowl to wash, no mixer to drag out, and no waiting around!!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.