Cranberry Baked Brie
Cranberry Baked Brie — An EASY 15-minute appetizer that’s filled AND topped with richly spiced orange-scented cranberry sauce. Perfect for holiday entertaining! This cranberry brie is salty, tart-yet-sweet, and IRRESISTIBLE!!
Easy Cranberry Brie Appetizer
I love baked brie so much that I try not to make it very often because there’s no stopping once I start. A friend recently messaged me asking for my recipe for Black Currant and Walnut-Stuffed Baked Brie, which is a copycat recipe for baked brie that we both adore from a local San Diego restaurant. That got me thinking that it’s been a year since my last baked brie recipe and some gooey, cheesy goodness was long overdue.
This easy, 15-minute brie appetizer that’s filled and topped with richly spiced and orange-scented cranberry sauce is perfect for holiday entertaining. Whether you make it as a Thanksgiving side or as an appetizer for Christmas or New Year’s Eve parties, it will be ooh’ed and ahh’ed over and devoured. Salty, tart-yet-sweet, and of course melted cheese is irresistible.
If you have homemade cranberry sauce, like Cabernet Cranberry and Blueberry Sauce, on hand, go with that. Or make this as a way to use up your leftover cranberry sauce. Winning at leftovers by way of cheese is always a great idea.
What’s in Cranberry Baked Brie?
To make this easy holiday appetizer, you’ll need:
- Homemade cranberry sauce (see notes below for how to doctor up store-bought sauce)
- Chopped pecans or walnuts
- Fresh rosemary, for garnishing
How to Make Cranberry Baked Brie
Slice a round of brie in half, top with cranberry sauce, add the other brie half, top with more cranberry sauce, and bake.
I have baked this on parchment paper that’s on a baking sheet and then transferred the parchment to a serving dish and cut off the excess parchment, as shown in the photos. And I have used an oven-safe baking dish lined with parchment for easier cleanup and served out of the baking dish. Do whatever is easiest.
How Long to Bake Brie
Because all ovens, the baking method chosen, and the ingredients used will vary, the baking time will be a little different for everyone so check early and often. My cranberry brie baked for roughly 10 minutes.
Look for cheese that’s starting to melt but pull it from the oven before it turns into a total oozing hot mess and collapses.
Can I Wrap This Baked Brie in Puff Pastry?
If you make one of my homemade cranberry sauces, you should be fine to wrap this cranberry brie in puff pastry since my sauces are quite thick. However, I’ve only made this recipe as written so I can’t say for sure if wrapping the brie in puff pasty will work.
Can I Prep This in Advance?
The most you can do to prep for this recipe is make the cranberry sauce beforehand. Otherwise, you really can’t prep this dish in advance.
Tips for Making Cranberry Baked Brie
Brie is easiest to slice when it’s cold, so be sure to cut it right after you remove it from the fridge.
If you don’t have homemade cranberry sauce on hand and don’t want to make either of my 30-minute versions, no biggie. Doctor up a can of store-bought by adding orange zest, cinnamon, allspice, and vanilla extract. A splash of spiced rum rather than vanilla is nice too.
I like to serve my cranberry baked brie with crackers, bread, and crudités, but set it out with whatever you like!
- about 1 cup homemade cranberry sauce*
- one 8-ounce round wheel brie, cold
- about 1/4 cup chopped pecans or walnuts, optional
- fresh rosemary sprigs, for garnishing
If using store-bought sauce:
- one 14-ounce can whole-cranberry sauce
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar, optional and to taste
- 1 to 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (may be substituted with orange extract and/or 1 to 2 tablespoons spiced rum)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- Preheat oven to 400F and line a baking sheet or an oven-safe baking dish with a sheet of parchment paper; set aside.
- If you are using homemade sauce, skip to step 3. If using canned sauce, add it to a medium bowl with the sugars (some canned sauces are still quite tart and you will appreciate the optional granulated sugar), orange zest, cinnamon, vanilla, allspice, and stir to combine; set aside. Note – you will not use all of the sauce for this recipe and will have some leftover for another use.
- Slice the round of brie horizontally in half to create two equal sized rounds. Place one of the halves (rind side down) on the parchment paper.
- Evenly top with about 1/2 cup of the cranberry sauce, leaving a 1/2-inch bare margin around the perimeter.
- Top with the other brie half (rind side up) to create a ‘sandwich’.
- Evenly top with another 1/2 cup cranberry sauce, leaving a 1/2-inch bare margin around the perimeter. Optionally, if you don’t prefer as much rind on your brie, you can gently remove some or all of the top rind before adding the remaining cranberry mixture but I keep it on.
- Optionally, evenly sprinkle with chopped nuts.
- Bake for about 7 to 10 minutes, or until fruit is warmed and cheese has softened but hasn’t turned into a gooey mess and collapses. Because all ovens, equipment, ingredients, etc. vary, watch closely and check early because there can be quite a bit of variance in the baking time.
- Garnish with rosemary and serve immediately with crackers, bread, crudites, etc.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 291 Total Fat: 11g Saturated Fat: 5g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 5g Cholesterol: 28mg Sodium: 184mg Carbohydrates: 44g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 35g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 7g
More Easy Holiday Appetizers:
Black Currant and Walnut Stuffed Baked Brie — Gooey, amazing, salty-and-sweet! Stuffed with jam, topped with walnuts, and so easy! Perfect for holiday entertaining and parties!
Ham and Cheese Sliders – Baked juicy ham and Swiss nestled in soft Hawaiian rolls and brushed with a buttery Dijon, onion, and poppy seed topping!! Fast, EASY, and a party FAVORITE!!
Baked Brie with Balsamic Cherries – Only 3 ingredients and ready in 15 minutes! So easy and so good!
Easy Jalapeño and Red Pepper Cheese Ball – Just spicy enough that the more you have, the more you want! A fast, easy, and foolproof hit!
Layered Cheese Slices – Cream cheese with nuts and dried cranberries in between cheese slices! The easiest appetizer ever and can be made it in advance! Everyone loves this goofproof recipe!
Honey Garlic Meatballs — The meatballs are easy, can be prepped in advance, and hold well at room temp. They’re juicy, tender, and the honey garlic sauce gives them so much flavor!
Spicy Chorizo Queso – No processed cheese in this EASY cheese dip that’s ready in 20 minutes!! Wonderfully spicy thanks to the chorizo! Great appetizer for holiday entertaining, parties, and game days!!