Easy 30-Minute Chicken Fajitas
Easy Chicken Fajitas — These chicken fajitas take just 30 minutes to make and are the perfect weeknight dinner. Friends and family will go crazy for this recipe!
Easy Chicken Fajitas Recipe
With these easy chicken fajitas that are made in one skillet, packed with flavor, and ready in 30 minutes, I’m totally set for busy weeknights. Or make this chicken fajita recipe for your next party. You can spice up your game day with Old El Paso™ recipes and ingredients from Albertsons Company Stores. I bought the ingredients at my local Vons store.
In this easy fajita recipe, onions are caramelized to bring out their natural sweetness before adding bell peppers. I used red and yellow peppers because my family prefers them, but you can use green or orange if you prefer.
I used a packet of Old El Paso Fajita Seasoning Mix and it lends restaurant-style flavor. The chicken is tender and perfectly spiced. The peppers and onions are juicy and provide the perfect subtle crunch to the fajitas. My family loves this meal and I could make it every week and they’ll always be happy.
To mix it up, try making deconstructed fajitas by using the same ingredients but rather than using Old El Paso Flour Tortilla Shells, serve the fajita mixture in a bowl with rice and beans.
What’s in Homemade Chicken Fajitas?
To make this easy fajita recipe (including the flavorful chicken fajita seasoning!), you’ll need:
- Olive oil
- Chicken breasts
- Sweet Vidalia onion
- Red and yellow bell peppers
- 1-ounce packet Old El Paso Fajita Seasoning Mix
- Old El Paso Flour Tortilla Shells
- Your favorite fajita toppings (keep scrolling for my suggestions)
How to Make Chicken Fajitas
This is the BEST chicken fajita recipe ever, because it’s both so flavorful and so simple to make! To make the skillet fajitas, first slice the chicken into strips and then cook it in a pan with some oil.
Once fully cooked, remove the chicken from the skillet (but keep the leftover oil and juices in the pan). Then, sauté the onions in the same pan until they begin to caramelize and turn golden brown. Add in the peppers and continue cooking until they soften.
Return the chicken to the skillet and add the fajita seasoning and water, and cook until chicken is heated through. Spoon the fajita mixture into tortillas and top with your favorite toppings (I love guac, lime juice, and sour cream, but feel free to play around with the toppings!).
If you have any chicken fajitas left over, store them in an airtight container in the fridge. Leftovers reheat well in a skillet and stay good up to five days.
My Favorite Fajita Toppings
As with burritos and tacos, you can top your healthy chicken fajitas with anything you’d like. If you can’t decide which toppings to buy at the store, here are a few of my favorites:
- Sour cream
- Cheese (sharp cheddar or queso fresco)
- Lime juice
- Pico de gallo
Can I Make Vegetarian Fajitas Instead?
Of course! You can make the fajitas vegetarian by omitting the chicken and using hearty portobello mushrooms instead.
Tips for Making the Best Chicken Fajitas
When making fajitas, I like to warm the tortillas in a dry skillet over low heat. This makes them more pliable and it’s easier to stuff them with the fajita filling.
I also recommend serving these easy chicken fajitas family-style. Put all the toppings in separate bowls and let your guests help themselves to the fajitas! This makes it easier to separate and store leftovers later on, and lets people fix their fajitas exactly how they like.
Also, as you’re cooking the chicken and veggies, feel free to add more oil to the skillet as needed. You don’t want the skillet to become dry, otherwise the fajita mixture will stick to the pan and burn.
- 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil, or as necessary
- 1 to 1.25-pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, sliced into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 medium/large sweet Vidalia onion, thinly sliced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into thin strips (orange or green peppers may be substituted)
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1/4 cup water
- one 1-ounce packet Old El Paso Fajita Seasoning Mix
- one 8-count package Old El Paso Flour Tortilla Shells, for serving
- guacamole, sour cream, cheese, lime juice, etc. or your favorite toppings, optional
- To a large skillet add the oil, chicken, and cook over medium-high heat for about 3 minutes or until chicken is lightly browned and cooked through; stir and flip intermittently. Remove chicken from skillet (keep the oil and cooking juices in the pan) and set aside.
- If necessary add a bit more oil, add the onions, and sauté over medium heat for about 5 to 7 minutes, or until they begin to caramelize and soften; stir intermittently.
- Add the peppers and sauté for about 5 minutes, or until they begin to soften; stir intermittently.
- Return chicken to skillet.
- Add the water, fajita seasoning mix, and cook for about 3 minutes, or until chicken is heated through; stir intermittently. Spoon mixture into tortillas (if desired warm them first in a dry skillet for about 15 to 30 seconds per side) and serve immediately. Optionally top with guacamole, sour cream, cheese, lime juice, etc. or your favorite toppings. Fajitas are best warm and fresh.
- Extra fajita mixture will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 5 days. Reheat gently as desired.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 477Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 133mgSodium: 748mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 4gSugar: 9gProtein: 48g
More Easy Mexican Recipes:
Very Veggie Rice and Beans – EASY, ready in 15 minutes, and amps up rice and beans with an abundance of vegetables!! Healthy, Mexican-inspired food that tastes like comfort food and keeps you satisfied for hours!!
Sweet Potato, Corn & Black Bean Enchiladas (vegetarian) — Healthier comfort food that everyone will love! Fast, easy & tastes amazing!
Easy 30-Minute Homemade Chicken Tortilla Soup – Chicken, tomatoes, corn, black beans, avocado, cheese, and addictively crunchy tortilla strips! Fast, easy weeknight meal, and better than from a restaurant!
Lime Cilantro Chicken with Mixed Rice and Black Beans — Easy, one skillet, 15-minute meal! Tons of textures and bold flavors in every bite! The lime makes this dish just pop!
Avocado, Black Bean and Corn Salad with Lime-Cumin Vinaigrette – Everything tastes better with avocado! Easy, healthy and tons of flavor!
Easy 15-Minute Fish Tacos with Avocado Corn Salsa – Tons of big flavors in a fast, fresh and healthy meal!! A clean-eating recipe that tastes like comfort food!
Loaded Beef Taco Salad with Lim Cilantro Dressing — This beef taco salad is loaded with crisp romaine lettuce, sweet corn, juicy tomatoes, and more!
Instant Pot or Slow Cooker Barbacoa Beef – Learn how to make authentic-tasting barbacoa beef in your Instant Pot or slow cooker!! EASY, tastes BETTER than a restaurant, and is a dinnertime WINNER!!
Post is brought to you by Albertson’s Safeway and Old El Paso. The recipe, images, text, and opinions expressed are my own. #oldelpaso #vons