15-Minute Cheesy Chicken Taco Skillet
This post may contain affiliate links.
15-Minute Cheesy Chicken Taco Skillet — Craving tacos minus all the empty carbs? This EASY taco skillet without tortillas is PERFECT!! Fast, EASY, loaded with awesome Mexican-inspired flavors and it’s super CHEESY!!
Cheesy Taco Skillet
I love tacos and have savored them at taco stands from Tijuana to Puerto Vallarta. But it’s not always practical to run to Mexico when I need a taco fix, but I’ve done it. San Diego and TJ are only 20 minutes apart.
Nor is it always practical to eat hundreds of calories of tortillas with said tacos. I’d rather save those calories and carbs for something more fun, like a margarita. So I created this easy chicken taco skillet, sans tortillas, that’s supremely easy, ready in 15 minutes, and bursting with awesome Mexican-inspired flavors and ingredients.
There’s juicy chicken, tender red peppers, black beans, corn, green onions, and cilantro. I love the contrast of the sweeter corn with the other ingredients. Everything is seasoned to perfection by means of a handy packet of taco seasoning before being topped with cheese.
What’s in This Chicken Taco Skillet?
To make this cheesy Mexican skillet recipe, you’ll need:
- Olive oil
- Chicken breasts
- Taco seasoning
- Red bell pepper
- Black beans
- Tomato sauce
- Shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Green onions
- Fresh cilantro
How to Make a Chicken Taco Skillet
Add the diced chicken to an oiled skillet and cook until done. Sprinkle with taco seasoning, then add the peppers, beans, corn, and tomato sauce.
Cook until warmed through, then sprinkle with cheese and let sit until melted. Garnish with cilantro and green onions just before serving.
Can I Use Ground Chicken?
I don’t see why not! Ground chicken would lend this cheesy taco skillet a different texture, but it’d still taste just as good.
Can I Add Extra Veggies?
Of course! This is a very flexible recipe and can easily be tweaked to incorporate whatever veggies you have on hand.
Tips for Making This Mexican Skillet
I used reduced sodium taco seasoning and reduced sodium black beans because I like to control the amount of salt that goes into my food. After adding all the ingredients to the skillet, give it a taste before adding any extra salt.
If you prefer your Mexican food on the spicier side, add a few dashes of hot sauce to this taco skillet. Or use spicy taco seasoning rather than mild.
Feel free to serve this taco skillet with rice, over tortilla chips for a nacho-inspired dish, or use the filling in taco shells if that floats your boat. You can even stir some rice right into it, but we didn’t miss the carbs at all.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 to 1.25 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast, diced into bite-sized pieces
- one 1.25-ounce packet taco seasoning (I used medium heat, reduced sodium)
- 1 medium/large red bell pepper, seeded, trimmed, and diced small
- one 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed (I use low sodium)
- 3/4 cup corn (I used frozen that I added straight from the freezer; canned may be substituted)
- one 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend (I used lite)
- 2 to 3 green onions, diced into thin rounds for garnishing
- 2 to 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, for garnishing
- Spanish rice, tortilla chips, tortillas, etc. optional for serving
- To a large skillet, add the oil, chicken, and cook over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through; stir and flip intermittently to ensure even cooking.
- Evenly sprinkle with the taco seasoning, add the peppers, beans, corn, tomato sauce, and simmer for about 2 to 3 minutes, or until warmed through.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low, add the cheese, and cover the skillet with a lid to help the cheese to melt for about 1 minute, or until melted. Stir to combine.
- Garnish with green onions, cilantro, and optionally serve with rice or over your favorite tortilla chips.
- Recipe is best fresh but will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Adapted from Betty Crocker.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 583Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 134mgSodium: 1492mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 9gSugar: 5gProtein: 51g
More Mexican Skillet Recipes:
Easy 30-Minute Taco Macaroni and Cheese – Super creamy, ultra cheesy, flavored with taco seasoning, black beans, green onions, tomatoes, and cilantro! Easy comfort food with a Mexican flair that’s a family favorite!
15-Minute Mexican Rice and Beans Skillet with Sausage — A FAST and EASY recipe that’s loaded with Mexican-inspired flavors and ingredients!! Break out of your chicken rut with this FLAVORFUL dish that’s perfect for busy weeknights!!
One Skillet Beef Taco Pasta – An easy recipe that’s ready in 20 minutes, made in one skillet, and loaded with Mexican-inspired flavors! A family favorite that’s great for busy weeknights!
15-Minute Salsa and Black Bean Chicken Skillet — Fast, EASY, family-friendly, healthy yet hearty, naturally gluten-free, Mexican-inspired meal!! The PERFECT recipe to jazz up your usual weeknight chicken dinner!!
Easy 30-Minute Southwestern Beef Skillet – Easy, family friendly, ready in 30 minutes, and comfort food at its best! Ground beef, pasta, black beans, tomatoes, taco seasoning, and cheese for a Southwestern flair!
Cheesy Chicken Enchilada Quinoa – All the flavor of chicken enchiladas, minus the work of rolling them!! Juicy chicken, corn, black beans, peppers, and loads of melted cheese! Easy, one-skillet, and ready in 30 minutes!
Skinny Mexican Chicken Skillet — EASY, ready in 20 minutes, and is a skinny recipe that keeps you full and satisfied!! A great Mexican-inspired meal that’s naturally gluten-free and is a flavor FIESTA in your mouth!!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.