Skinny Mexican Chicken Skillet — EASY, ready in 20 minutes, and is a skinny recipe that keeps you full and satisfied!! A great Mexican-inspired meal that’s naturally gluten-free and is a flavor FIESTA in your mouth!!
Healthy Mexican Dish
This easy skillet chicken dish is ready in 20 minutes, full of Mexican-inspired flavors and ingredients, and as a bonus, it’s also a skinny recipe. With Cinco de Mayo around the corner and then Memorial Day, before you know it shorts and bikini weather will be here.
Recipes like this one are great because even though it’s a healthy Mexican recipe, you’ll be full, satisfied, and won’t miss a thing.
The Mexican chicken is tender and juicy and between the onions, peppers, chiles, black beans, and corn, there is so much texture in every bite. There are so many layers of Mexican-inspired flavors from the cumin, garlic, green chiles, green onions, and cilantro. It’s like a flavor town fiesta going on.
This recipe freezes well so you can use it as a freezer-friendly/meal prep idea.
What’s in This Mexican Chicken Skillet?
To make this easy Mexican dish, you’ll need:
- Olive oil
- Chicken breasts
- Red bell pepper
- Yellow onion
- Diced green chiles
- Salt and pepper
- Cayenne pepper
- Black beans
- Frozen corn
- Green onions
- Fresh cilantro
How to Make Mexican Chicken Skillet
Simply sauté the diced chicken, onions, and red peppers before adding green chiles, garlic, cumin, and optional cayenne pepper. The cayenne doesn’t make it spicy. Rather it just gives it extra flavor but you can leave it out if you’re inclined.
Add in the black beans, corn, and garnish with green onions and cilantro. So fast and easy!
Can I Add Rice to This Chicken Skillet?
Although the recipe as written does not have rice (or any kind of grain) and is naturally gluten-free, feel free to add cooked rice. You can’t go wrong with any combo of rice and beans in my book.
Can I Use Ground Chicken?
Of course! You can use pretty much any protein you’d like in this Mexican chicken recipe.
Tips for Making Mexican Chicken Skillet
If you’re not as concerned about the skinny factor, add some cheese at the end and let it melt over the top. So good.
If you want to stir in a heaping 1/4 cup or so of your favorite salsa, as mild or wild as you like it, I think that would be delish. So would avocado chunks over the top and maybe the juice of a lime.
There are so many ways to get creative with this recipe and also mix-and-match based on what you have on hand and enjoy.
Pin This Recipe
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 to 1.25 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast, diced into bite-sized pieces
- 1 large/extra-large red bell pepper, diced small
- 1 medium sweet Vidalia or yellow onion, diced small
- one 4-ounce can diced green chiles (I used fire-roasted)
- 3 to 5 cloves garlic, finely minced or pressed
- 2 to 3 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- pinch cayenne pepper, optional and to taste
- one 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed (I used no-salt added)
- 1 to 1.5 cups corn (I used frozen; you can add it directly to the skillet from the freezer)
- 2 tablespoons green onions
- fresh cilantro, for garnishing
- To a large skillet, add the oil, chicken, red pepper, onion, and sauté over medium-high heat for about 7 to 8 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through and vegetables have softened. Stir and flip frequently to ensure even cooking.
- Add the green chiles, garlic, cumin, salt, pepper, optional cayenne, stir to combine, and cook for about 1 minute or until the garlic is fragrant.
- Add the black beans, corn, stir, and cook for about 1 minute, or until warmed through.
- Evenly sprinkle the green onions, cilantro, and serve immediately.
- Recipe will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 4 months.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 559Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 120mgSodium: 1144mgCarbohydrates: 46gFiber: 12gSugar: 7gProtein: 57g
More Mexican Skillet Recipes:
15-Minute Salsa and Black Bean Chicken Skillet – Fast, EASY, family-friendly, healthy yet hearty, naturally gluten-free, Mexican-inspired meal!! The PERECT recipe to jazz up your usual weeknight chicken dinner!!
15-Minute Mexican Sausage, Black Beans, and Rice Skillet – A FAST and EASY recipe that’s loaded with Mexican-inspired flavors and ingredients!! Break out of your chicken rut with this FLAVORFUL dish that’s perfect for busy weeknights!!
Very Veggie Rice and Beans – EASY, ready in 15 minutes, and amps up rice and beans with an abundance of vegetables!! Healthy, Mexican-inspired food that tastes like comfort food and keeps you satisfied for hours!!
15-Minute Cheesy Chicken Taco Skillet – Craving tacos minus all the empty carbs? This EASY taco skillet without tortillas is PERFECT!! Fast, EASY, loaded with awesome Mexican-inspired flavors and it’s super CHEESY!!
Loaded Smothered Beef Burritos – Mexican comfort food that’s loaded with seasoned ground beef, refried beans, rice, and smothered with sauce and CHEESE!! Tastes BETTER than from a restaurant, freezer-friendly, and so EASY!!
Loaded Beef Skillet Nachos – EASY, ready in 15 minutes, and LOADED with taco-seasoned ground beef, black beans, corn, cilantro, and lots of CHEESE!! Great for parties, game days, after school snacks, or a cheat night dinner!!
One Skillet Beef Taco Pasta – An easy recipe that’s ready in 20 minutes, made in one skillet, and loaded with Mexican-inspired flavors! A family favorite that’s great for busy weeknights!
Easy 30-Minute Southwestern Beef Skillet — EASY, family friendly, ready in 30 minutes, and COMFORT FOOD at its best!! Ground beef, PASTA, black beans, tomatoes, taco seasoning, and CHEESE for a Southwestern flair!!