15-Minute Salsa and Black Bean Chicken Skillet
This post may contain affiliate links.
15-Minute Salsa and Black Bean Chicken Skillet — Fast, EASY, family-friendly, healthy yet hearty, naturally gluten-free, Mexican-inspired meal!! The PERFECT recipe to jazz up your usual weeknight chicken dinner!!
Mexican Black Bean Chicken Skillet
If you’re looking for an incredibly easy and fast way to jazz up your usual weeknight chicken dinner, this salsa chicken and black beans skillet is the recipe for you.
Since there are already onions, garlic, tomatoes, salt, pepper, and jalapeno peppers in salsa, it’s the perfect one-stop-shopping flavor bomb of an ingredient to add pizzazz to chicken.
Although I can eat salsa with a spoon, no chips required, it’s lovely with chicken and helps keep the chicken super flavorful and juicy. With the addition of red peppers, black beans, green onions, and cilantro, this is a perfect family-friendly, healthy yet hearty, naturally gluten-free, Mexican-inspired meal that’s ready in under 15 minutes.
It reminds me of this 15-Minute Cheesy Chicken Taco Skillet, minus the cheese and with salsa.
What’s in Mexican Black Bean Chicken?
To make this salsa chicken with black beans, you’ll need:
- Olive oil
- Chicken breasts
- Red bell pepper
- Black beans
- Ground cumin
- Salt and pepper
- Green onions
- Fresh cilantro
- Avocado (for garnishing)
- Shredded cheese (for garnishing)
How to Make Black Bean and Salsa Chicken
Cook the diced chicken and red pepper in an oiled skillet until the meat is cooked through. Add the salsa, black beans, and cumin and continue cooking until warmed through.
Sprinkle on the green onions, cilantro, optional avocado and/or cheese and serve immediately.
What Type of Salsa Should I Use?
I recommend a chunkier salsa so that you’re chicken isn’t swimming in a runny sauce, which is what would happen if you use a thinner salsa. Not that it would be bad but it’s not what we’re going for here.
Tips for Making Mexican Black Bean Chicken
I used a chunky store brand salsa that also had corn included. If corn sounds good to you, look for a salsa with corn or add a 1/3 cup to the recipe if your salsa doesn’t have it.
I used a medium-heat salsa. Use whatever you and your family prefer from mild to wild.
We didn’t find the need for rice but it’s a good serving option to keep in mind.
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1.25 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3/4 cup red bell pepper, diced small
- one 16-ounce jar chunky salsa (I used a store brand with corn included)
- one 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed (I used no salt added)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional and to taste
- about 2 green onions, sliced into thin rounds
- fresh cilantro, for garnishing
- avocado slices or chunks, optional for garnishing
- shredded cheese, optional for garnishing
- To a large skillet, add the oil, chicken, red pepper, and cook over medium-high heat for about 5 to 7 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through; stir and flip intermittently so the chicken cooks evenly.
- Add the salsa, black beans, cumin, pepper, optional salt (some salsas are very salty already and you can omit), and stir to combine. Allow mixture to simmer for about 3 minutes, or until warmed through.
- Evenly sprinkle the green onions, cilantro, optional avocado and/or cheese, and serve immediately.
- Recipe is best fresh but will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 587Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 127mgSodium: 1585mgCarbohydrates: 40gFiber: 15gSugar: 7gProtein: 58g
More Mexican Chicken Dishes:
15-Minute Cheesy Chicken Taco Skillet — Craving tacos minus all the empty carbs? This easy taco skillet without tortillas is perfect! Fast, easy, loaded with awesome Mexican-inspired flavors and it’s super cheesy!
Chicken Tortilla Lettuce Wraps — Filled with Mexican flavors, there’s taco-seasoned chicken, tomatoes, corn, peppers, cilantro, and cheese! Easy, healthy, ready in 10 minutes, and a family favorite!
Loaded Chicken Enchilada Nachos — Juicy chicken soaked in enchilada sauce with black beans, corn, peppers, cilantro, and more! Cheesy, gooey perfection and ready in 5 minutes!
Loaded Chicken Enchilada Zucchini Boats — Skip enchilada wraps and use zucchini instead! Easy, healthier and there’s so much flavor between juicy chicken drenched in enchilada sauce, corn, peppers, and cheese!
Easy Loaded Chicken Tostadas – Ready in 20 minutes and loaded to the max! Chicken, refried beans, peppers, salsa, cheese, and more! Great party appetizer or easy weeknight dinner!
Buffalo Chicken Burrito Bowls – Juicy chicken along with your favorite burrito ingredients served in a bowl! Pile the toppings sky high and not worry about a wrap breaking, plus it’s a little healthier! Easy and ready in 15 minutes!
Sheet Pan Salsa Chicken and Potatoes – An EASY dinner that’s ready in 30 minutes and made on ONE pan with so much FLAVOR!! The salsa keeps the chicken so juicy for a winner-winner-chicken-dinner that’s perfect for busy nights!!
Salsa Verde Chicken Chilaquiles – An EASY comfort food recipe with just FOUR main ingredients and ready in 30 minutes!! Layers of corn tostadas and juicy chicken smothered in salsa verde and melted pepper Jack cheese!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.