Salsa Verde Chicken Chilaquiles
Salsa Verde Chicken Chilaquiles – An EASY comfort food recipe with just FOUR main ingredients and ready in 30 minutes!! Layers of corn tostadas and juicy chicken smothered in salsa verde and melted pepper Jack cheese! Great for breakfast, dinner, snacks, a party appetizer or anything in between!!
What Are Chilaquiles?
Traditional chilaquiles are typically made from leftover corn tortillas that are first deep fried and then simmered in either red or green salsa, depending on the area in Mexico and your salsa preference, and there’s always plenty of cheese.
Adding shredded chicken, pulled pork, a fried egg on top, avocado, chiles, jalapeno, salsa, cilantro, or serving with beans on the side are some of the endless variations of chilaquiles. This dish is traditionally popular for breakfast especially if you’re nursing a hangover.
This version of chilaquiles is not traditional per se in the preparation (please don’t write to me telling me I am an imposter and don’t know anything about traditional Mexican cooking; on these types of recipes I get plenty of “fan mail” which I ignore and delete), but my version will save you both time and calories and it tastes every bit as traditional as you can imagine.
Time Saving Shortcuts
Also use a shredded rotisserie chicken to save time.
Calorie Saving Shortcut
And we’re not frying anything which not only saves time, but saves calories.
Chilaquiles are a great dish to make when there are leftover corn tortillas. But if you were to make chilaquiles with just plain tortillas, it would turn into a soggy mess. That’s why the tortillas are typically fried first.
But to save a boatload of fat and calories, and to prevent your house from smelling like a Mexican restaurant for days after, use corn tostadas instead. So much more practical and since they’re so crunchy to begin with, the finished chilaquiles are just the perfect texture – soft but not mushy – after being bathed in salsa verde and pepper Jack.
Layers Of Goodness
To an ovenproof skillet, add tostadas to cover the base, breaking them a bit if necessary. I used 4 1/2.
Top with one-third of the salsa, one-third of the chicken, one-third of the cheese. Repeat twice until all the ingredients have been used.
Bonus points if you noticed the four main ingredients simply include: tostadas, salsa verde, chicken, cheese.
Bake for about 30 minutes, or until the cheese is as lightly golden browned as desired, and get ready to serve.
I simply added cilantro and a few cherry tomatoes but depending on what you have on hand and enjoy, avocado, guacamole, sour cream or jalapeno make great toppers.
- 12 to 15 corn tostadas, or as necessary
- 24 ounces salsa verde , or your favorite
- 3 cups cooked shredded chicken (use rotisserie chicken to save time)
- 12 ounces pepper Jack cheese blend
- cilantro, optional for garnishing
- tomatoes, optional for garnishing
- Preheat oven to 375F (use convection if you have it) and spray a 10-inch oven-proof skillet with cooking spray.
- To the bottom of the skillet, add 4 to 5 tostadas, enough to completely cover the base of the skillet, breaking them slightly if necessary to get complete coverage (does not have to be perfect).
- Evenly top with one-third of the salsa (8 ounces), one third of the chicken (1 cup), and one-third of the cheese (4 ounces).
- Repeat the layering process twice. Tostadas, salsa, chicken, cheese.
- Bake for about 25 to 30 minutes, or until the cheese is as lightly golden browned as desired.
- Optionally garnish with cilantro, tomatoes, or your favorite garnishes (read blog post for ideas). Serve immediately. Chilaquiles are best fresh.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 388Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 76mgSodium: 956mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 3gSugar: 4gProtein: 26g
Check out my favorite Mexican Recipes Here
Loaded Chicken Enchilada Nachos – Juicy chicken soaked in enchilada sauce with black beans, corn, peppers, cilantro, and more!! Cheesy, gooey perfection and READY in 5 minutes! Perfect for parties, tailgating, or anytime you need an EASY nacho fix!!
Loaded Guacamole Nachos – Fresh, easy homemade guac on top of cheesy chips is totally irresistible! These disappear fast – so good!
Loaded BBQ Chicken Nugget Nachos (with vegan/GF option) – Chicken nuggets coated in BBQ sauce with loads of cheese! Perfect and easy party food!
Baked Triple Cheese and Salsa Tortilla Chip Dip – Loaded with 3 kinds of cheese and baked to browned, bubbly, golden perfection! Always a hit at parties!
Easy Chicken Enchilada Bake – All the flavors of your favorite enchiladas, minus the work! Easy, ready in 30 minutes, and you can prep it in advance to save time on busy weeknights or before a big event!
15-Minute Salsa and Black Bean Chicken Skillet – Fast, EASY, family-friendly, healthy yet hearty, naturally gluten-free, Mexican-inspired meal!! The PERFECT recipe to jazz up your usual weeknight chicken dinner!!