25-Minute Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas — EASY, ready in no time, tastes AUTHENTIC, and made on ONE sheet pan to keep things simple – especially on busy nights!! Who needs a Mexican restaurant when you can make fajitas this GOOD and healthier at home!
Table of contents
Easy Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
If you love chicken fajitas but going out to a Mexican restaurant isn’t in the cards for dinner tonight, this recipe is the perfect fajitas-at-home solution.
It’s ready in 25 minutes, the chicken is tender, juicy, and the trio of bell peppers are tender without being mushy, while the red onions add additional texture and flavor.
I used an array of seasonings and spices to add layers of authentic flavors and some mild heat, but feel free to reduce the chili powder, and reduce or eliminate the cayenne pepper if you don’t like spicy food.
However, as written, the baked chicken fajitas recipe is by no means spicy in my book, but it has lots of flavor and keeps you going back for one more fajita.
And let’s face it, a sheet pan meal is worth its weight in gold because everything is made on one pan and cleanup is as easy as tossing a sheet of foil!
I also have an older Easy Skillet Chicken Fajita recipe. If you’re a chicken fajita fan, you should check out.
In my opinion, these sheet pan chicken fajitas are far healthier than what you’d get in a restaurant.
There’s only a nominal amount of oil for a huge sheet pan of food. Just wait until you see how much food is on the sheet pan! But it all shrinks down while cooking though so don’t panic at first when everything is raw.
What’s In Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas?
To make the baked chicken fajitas, you’ll need:
- Boneless skinless chicken breast
- Red, orange, and yellow bell peppers (feel free to add/swap for a green bell pepper)
- Red onion
- Olive oil
- Cilantro, optional
- Limes, optional
- Corn or flour tortillas
And for the chicken fajita seasoning, you’ll need:
- Chili powder
- Dried Mexican oregano or regular dried oregano
- Smoked paprika or regular paprika
- Garlic powder
- Salt and pepper
- Cayenne pepper, optional
How to Make Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
This is such an easy chicken sheet pan dinner!
- Simply line a half sheet pan with foil. Or not – but this makes cleanup even faster and easier!
- Then add the chicken, peppers, and onions.
- Drizzle the chicken and veggies with olive oil, then sprinkle on the chicken fajita seasoning.
- Bake until the chicken is cooked through and the veggies are done to your liking.
- I like to serve these sheet pan chicken fajitas in warm tortillas with a squeeze of lime juice and a sprinkle of fresh cilantro!
Chicken Fajita Toppings
We typically enjoy these Mexican chicken fajitas as is, but feel free to add your favorite toppings as well.
A few fajita topping ideas are:
- Sour cream
- Pineapple Chipotle Salsa
- Shredded cheese
- Diced tomato
- Sliced avocado
- Pickled red onions
- Pickled or fresh jalapenos
Tips for Making Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
Seasoning – I like boldly-flavored foods, which doesn’t necessarily mean spicy. Big difference actually. Bland anything is not in my repertoire.
Of course, if you’re not into boldly flavored foods like I am, always season and add spices to your personal tastes. If in doubt, always err on the side of less to start with, and you can always add more later or next time.
Tortillas – Note that if you opt for corn rather than flour tortillas, the recipe is naturally gluten-free. However, flour tortillas tend to be more traditional for chicken fajita recipes.
If you’re watching your carbs, you can eat the filling, sans tortillas. I know that’s not a true fajita then, but hey, sometimes you have to make some sacrifices. So you can drink more margaritas, of course!
Pin This Recipe
25-Minute Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- 1 ½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breast, sliced into long thin strips about 1/2-inch wide
- 1 large red bell pepper, sliced into long thin strips about 1/2-inch wide
- 1 large orange bell pepper, sliced into long thin strips about 1/2-inch wide
- 1 large yellow pepper, sliced into long thin strips about 1/2-inch wide
- 1 large red onion sliced into thick chunky sections, about 1-inch wide
- 3 to 4 tablespoons olive oil, or as desired
- 2 to 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 to 3 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried Mexican oregano or regular dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika or regular paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional and to taste
- fresh cilantro, optional for garnishing
- fresh limes, optional for garnishing
- corn or flour tortillas, warmed; as needed for serving
- Preheat oven to 425F (use Convection if you have it), line half sheet pan with foil for easier cleanup if desired, and add the chicken, peppers, and onions.
- Evenly drizzle with the olive oil, and evenly sprinkle the chili powder, cumin, Mexican oregano, smoked paprika, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and using your hands, toss to evenly coat. Bake for about 20 to 25 minutes. Midway through cooking, stir the ingredients and rotate the pan to ensure even cooking.
- Optionally garnish with cilantro, lime juice, add filling mixture to the tortillas, and serve immediately. Recipe will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
©averiecooks.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Favorite Mexican Chicken Recipes:
Easy Chicken Fajitas — These chicken fajitas take just 30 minutes to make and are the perfect weeknight dinner. Friends and family will go crazy for this recipe!
Salsa Verde Chicken Enchiladas — EASY juicy enchiladas with so much flavor from the salsa verde and TONS of melted CHEESE!! Ready in 30 minutes, are made with just a handful of ingredients, and will be an instant family favorite!
20-Minute Baked Cilantro Lime Chicken Breasts – Super juicy, EASY, tender chicken that’s ready in 20 minutes and made on ONE sheet pan!! Bursting with robust Mexican-inspired lime cilantro flavors that will make this an automatic family FAVORITE!!
Grilled Pineapple Chicken — EASY, ready in 10 minutes, and the flavor of the juicy chicken makes you feel like you’re on a TROPICAL island!! Grilled peppers on the side makes for the PERFECT summer meal that’s HEALTHY and DELICIOUS!!
Grilled Sriracha Lime Chicken – EASY, ready in 10 minutes, and the chicken is SPICY, tender, and juicy!! Put this HEALTHY chicken recipe on your summer menu when you want to kick things up a notch!!
Grilled Salsa Verde Chicken with Pepper Jack — The EASIEST salsa verde marinade keeps this chicken so juicy and tender!! Melted pepper Jack cheese on top takes an already awesome piece of chicken and makes it that much BETTER!!
Easy Loaded Chicken Tostadas – Ready in 20 minutes and loaded to the max! Chicken, refried beans, peppers, salsa, cheese, and more! Great party appetizer or easy weeknight dinner!
15-Minute Salsa and Black Bean Chicken Skillet – Fast, EASY, family-friendly, healthy yet hearty, naturally gluten-free, Mexican-inspired meal!! The PERFECT recipe to jazz up your usual weeknight chicken dinner!!
15-Minute Cheesy Chicken Taco Skillet – Craving tacos minus all the empty carbs? This easy taco skillet without tortillas is perfect! Fast, easy, loaded with awesome Mexican-inspired flavors and it’s super cheesy!
Chicken Tortilla Lettuce Wraps – Filled with Mexican flavors, there’s taco-seasoned chicken, tomatoes, corn, peppers, cilantro, and cheese! Easy, healthy, ready in 10 minutes, and a family favorite!
Loaded Chicken Enchilada Nachos – Juicy chicken soaked in enchilada sauce with black beans, corn, peppers, cilantro, and more! Cheesy, gooey perfection and ready in 5 minutes!
Sheet Pan Salsa Chicken and Potatoes – An EASY dinner that’s ready in 30 minutes and made on ONE pan with so much FLAVOR!! The salsa keeps the chicken so juicy for a winner-winner-chicken-dinner that’s perfect for busy nights!!
Buffalo Chicken Burrito Bowls – Juicy chicken along with your favorite burrito ingredients served in a bowl! Pile the toppings sky high and not worry about a wrap breaking, plus it’s a little healthier! Easy and ready in 15 minutes!
Originally posted May 1, 2020 and reposted May 5, 2023 with updated text.