Grilled Mango Pineapple Chicken
This post may contain affiliate links.
Grilled Mango Pineapple Chicken – EASY, ready in 10 minutes, and the flavor of the juicy chicken makes you feel like you’re on a TROPICAL island!! Grilled peppers on the side makes for the PERFECT summer meal that’s HEALTHY and DELICIOUS!!
Mango Pineapple Grilled Chicken
This grilled chicken recipe has summer written all over it. It tastes islandy, tropical, and we adored it.
The chicken is tender and juicy and the chunks of mango and pineapple are where it’s at for me.
I marinated the chicken in a mango-pineapple salsa, garnished the cooked chicken with some reserved salsa, and added additional mango chunks and pineapple tidbits, both courtesy of the Trader Joe’s freezer case. Fresh is always best but I didn’t have fresh on hand so went with frozen.
Yellow bell peppers are lightly charred to crisp-tender perfection and are easily grilled along side the chicken in a grill basket.
What’s In The Pineapple Mango Chicken Marinade?
I started off using about 2/3-bottle of this chunky Island Salsa which has mango, pineapple, and red jalapeno peppers.
If you can’t find that exact salsa, I recommend another mango-pineapple salsa, a mango-habanero salsa, or some variation of mango + pineapple salsa of your choice. As with any chicken marinade, there’s a lot of flexibility.
I doctored up the salsa by adding olive oil and lime juice.
How Long To Marinate?
I like to marinate my chicken overnight for the full and tenderizing effects, but if you’re running short on time, even 30 to 60 minutes will do.
Pro Grilling Tips
- As a shortcut, I used thin-sliced boneless skinless chicken breasts. Their thinner size makes for faster grilling times and much more even cooking.
- This recipe would be even faster with chicken breast tenders or sometimes called breast cutlets or medallions, but as it is with the thin-sliced breasts I only needed to grill them for about 4 minutes per side and they were done. Many times with large chicken breasts on the grill, I struggle to keep the outside from becoming overly dark before the interior is fully cooked through but with either thin-sliced or breast tenders, you don’t have to worry about that.
- I highly recommend a grill basket for the bell peppers. Trying to grill peppers directly on the grill grates is always tricky because they like to fall through and you really have to flip them one-by-one and babysit them which is no fun. Throw them in a grill basket, douse with olive oil, salt and pepper, and just stir it with your grill tongs a few times while the chicken is grilling. So easy!
- 1 1/2 pounds thin-sliced boneless skinless chicken breasts (I had 4 breasts)
- 8 ounces Island Salsa (or use your favorite mango-pineapple salsa)
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1 large yellow bell pepper, sliced into 1/2-inch wide strips
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- 4 ounces Island Salsa, or as desired
- 1/2 cup diced mango (I used frozen that I thawed and drained)
- 1/3 cup pineapple tidbits (I used frozen that I thawed and drained)
- 2 to 4 tablespoons fresh cilantro, optional for garnishing
- Chicken - To a large ziptop plastic bag, add the chicken, salsa, lime juice, olive oil, black pepper, seal, and smoosh around to evenly coat chicken. Place bag in fridge for at least 30 minutes, or overnight, to marinate.
- Lightly oil grill grates and preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Bell Peppers - Add the peppers to a grill basket, evenly drizzle with olive oil, evenly season with salt and pepper, and toss with your grilling tongs to evenly coat.
- Add the chicken to one side of the grill, place the grill basket on the other side of the grill, discard the bag with the marinade, and grill chicken for about 4 to 5 minutes on the first side with lid closed, flip, and cook for about 4 to 5 minutes on the second side with lid closed, or until chicken is cooked through and as done as desired. While chicken cooks, intermittently stir the peppers with your tongs and cook as long as desired noting they may finish a minute or two faster than the chicken.
- Garnishes - Place chicken on a large serving platter and top each chicken breast with additional salsa as desired, evenly place the mango and pineapple, and optionally sprinkle with cilantro and serve immediately. Chicken is best fresh but extra will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 4 months.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 661Total Fat: 31gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 23gCholesterol: 145mgSodium: 3568mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 4gSugar: 27gProtein: 56g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate and in this case, there is plenty of marinade that is discarded or which simply falls off the chicken while grilling, but is artificially inflating the calories, sodium, sugar, and fat in portions of the marinade that aren't consumed.
More Grilled Chicken Recipes:
Grilled Aloha Chicken and Pineapple – Transports you to Hawaii with every bite of this tender, juicy chicken and the grilled pineapple seals the deal!! EASY, HEALTHY, ready in 10 minutes, and perfect for summer parties, barbecues, and casual weeknight dinners!!
Grilled Cajun Chicken and Pineapple Foil Packets – EASY, tasty, ready in 15 minutes, HEALTHY, and since it’s made in a foil pack on the grill, there’s ZERO cleanup!! Perfect for easy-breezy summer meals!!
Peach Chili Grilled Chicken – Tender, juicy, and full of flavor from the sweet peach preserves and chili garlic sauce! The perfect contrast! Easy, healthy, ready in 10 minutes, zero cleanup, perfect for backyard barbecues or easy weeknight dinners!
Grilled Sriracha Lime Chicken – EASY, ready in 10 minutes, and the chicken is SPICY, tender, and juicy!! Put this HEALTHY chicken recipe on your summer menu when you want to kick things up a notch!!
Grilled Chicken With Watermelon Mango Mint Salsa – The chicken is tender, juicy, and the EASY salsa made with watermelon, mango, and mint adds so much fresh FLAVOR!! Healthy, FAST, EASY, zero cleanup, perfect for backyard barbecues or easy weeknight dinners!!
Grilled Sriracha Barbecue Chicken – EASY, ready in 10 minutes, and the chicken is just spicy enough with that perfect BBQ chicken flavor!! Grilled peppers on the side makes for the PERFECT summer meal that’s HEALTHY and DELICIOUS!!
15-Minute Mango Lime Chicken with Rice and Beans – EASY, healthy, and the mango sauce spiked with lime juice is SO tasty!! You can’t go wrong with Mexican-inspired flavors, JUICY chicken, and rice and beans!!
Grilled Lime Cilantro Chicken – EASY, ready in 10 minutes, and the chicken is so TENDER, juicy, and full of Mexican-inspired flavor!! Put this HEALTHY chicken recipe on your summer menu rotation and it’ll be a hit with everyone!!
Spicy Garlic Grilled Chicken – An EASY homemade marinade made with everyday ingredients that produces super FLAVORFUL, juicy chicken!! If you’re looking for a NEW marinade to jazz up grilled chicken, this is the one!!
Grilled Lemon Chicken – EASY, ready in 10 minutes, and the chicken is so TENDER, juicy, and full of LEMON flavor!! With grilled broccoli on the side, this is a HEALTHY recipe perfect for swimsuit season that tastes AMAZING!!
Sweet Chili Grilled Chicken – Tender, juicy, and full of flavor from the sweet chili sauce! Easy, healthy, ready in 10 minutes, zero cleanup, perfect for backyard barbecues or easy weeknight dinners!
Foil Pack Barbecue Chicken – Ready in 15 minutes and such an easy way to enjoy barbecue chicken on the grill! A delish and healthy meal made in a foil pack with zero cleanup!
Grilled Tandoori Chicken – Recreate this Indian favorite QUICKLY and EASILY at home!! If you’re looking for a new spin on grilled chicken, this is THE recipe to try! Super juicy, flavorful, and you’ll LOVE IT!!
Grilled Honey Mustard Chicken Kabobs – Juicy chicken and crisp vegetables coated in a sweet-and-tangy sauce! Great for parties or easy weeknight dinners! Everything tastes better grilled!
Grilled Vegetables With Smoky Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce – Grilling gives these simply prepared vegetables the perfect amount of smoky flavor and the dipping sauce accentuates that lovely smokiness!! Healthy, fast, EASY, zero cleanup, and ready in 5 minutes!!
Grilled Vegetables with Basil Vinaigrette – Grilling gives these simply prepared vegetables the perfect amount of smoky flavor! The basil vinaigrette is loaded with layers of flavor and ready in 1 minute! Healthy, fast, EASY, minimal cleanup = the perfect recipe!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.