Grilled Pineapple Chicken — EASY, ready in 10 minutes, and the flavor of the juicy chicken makes you feel like you’re on a TROPICAL island!! Grilled peppers on the side makes for the PERFECT summer meal that’s HEALTHY and DELICIOUS!!
Easy Pineapple Chicken on the Grill
This grilled chicken recipe has summer written all over it. It tastes islandy, tropical, and we adored it.
The chicken is tender and juicy and the chunks of mango and pineapple are where it’s at for me.
I marinated the chicken in a mango-pineapple salsa, garnished the cooked chicken with some reserved salsa, and added additional mango chunks and pineapple tidbits, both courtesy of the Trader Joe’s freezer case. Fresh is always best but I didn’t have fresh on hand so went with frozen.
Yellow bell peppers are lightly charred to crisp-tender perfection and are easily grilled along side the chicken in a grill basket.
What’s in Grilled Pineapple Chicken?
To make the grilled pineapple salsa chicken, you’ll need:
- Thin-sliced chicken breasts
- Island salsa
- Lime juice
- Olive oil
- Yellow bell pepper
- Diced mango (I used frozen)
- Diced pineapple (I used frozen)
- Fresh cilantro
If you can’t find the exact salsa linked, I recommend another mango-pineapple salsa, a mango-habanero salsa, or some variation of mango + pineapple salsa of your choice. As with any chicken marinade, there’s a lot of flexibility.
How to Make Grilled Pineapple Chicken
I started off using about 2/3-bottle of this chunky Island Salsa which has mango, pineapple, and red jalapeno peppers. I doctored up the salsa by adding olive oil and lime juice. This mixture will serve as the grilled chicken marinade.
Add the chicken and marinade to a bag, seal it, and let it sit in the fridge for at least 30 minutes to marinate.
Once the chicken has had time to marinate, preheat the grill to medium-high heat. Place the chicken on one side and the bell pepper on the other side (I recommend grilling the pepper in a grill basket).
Once the chicken and the pepper are cooked to your liking, remove to a platter and garnish with additional salsa, diced mango and pineapple, and fresh cilantro.
How Long to Marinate Chicken?
I like to marinate my chicken overnight for the full and tenderizing effects, but if you’re running short on time, even 30 to 60 minutes will do.
What to Serve with Pineapple Chicken
Not sure what to serve with this easy pineapple chicken? Here are some of my favorite sides:
- Grilled Vegetables With Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce
- Strawberry, Avocado, & Kale Salad
- Lemon, Sun-Dried Tomato, and Almond Quinoa Salad
- Garden Fresh Tortellini Pasta Salad
- Cheesy Roasted Asparagus
Tips for Making Pineapple Salsa Chicken on the Grill
As a shortcut, I used thin-sliced boneless skinless chicken breasts. Their thinner size makes for faster grilling times and much more even cooking. This recipe would be even faster with chicken breast tenders or sometimes called breast cutlets or medallions, but as it is with the thin-sliced breasts I only needed to grill them for about 4 minutes per side and they were done.
Many times with large chicken breasts on the grill, I struggle to keep the outside from becoming overly dark before the interior is fully cooked through but with either thin-sliced or breast tenders, you don’t have to worry about that.
I highly recommend a grill basket for the bell peppers. Trying to grill peppers directly on the grill grates is always tricky because they like to fall through and you really have to flip them one-by-one and babysit them, which is no fun. Throw them in a grill basket, douse with olive oil, salt and pepper, and just stir it with your grill tongs a few times while the chicken is grilling. So easy!
Pin This Recipe
Grilled Mango Pineapple Chicken
- 1 ½ pounds thin-sliced boneless skinless chicken breasts, I had 4 breasts
- 8 ounces Island Salsa, or use your favorite mango-pineapple salsa
- ⅓ cup lime juice
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1 large yellow bell pepper, sliced into 1/2-inch wide strips
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- 4 ounces Island Salsa, or as desired
- ½ cup diced mango, I used frozen that I thawed and drained
- ⅓ cup pineapple tidbits, I used frozen that I thawed and drained
- 2 to 4 tablespoons fresh cilantro, optional for garnishing
- To a large ziptop plastic bag, add the chicken, salsa, lime juice, olive oil, black pepper, seal, and smoosh around to evenly coat chicken. Place bag in fridge for at least 30 minutes, or overnight, to marinate.
- Lightly oil grill grates and preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Add the peppers to a grill basket, evenly drizzle with olive oil, evenly season with salt and pepper, and toss with your grilling tongs to evenly coat.
- Add the chicken to one side of the grill, place the grill basket on the other side of the grill, discard the bag with the marinade, and grill chicken for about 4 to 5 minutes on the first side with lid closed, flip, and cook for about 4 to 5 minutes on the second side with lid closed, or until chicken is cooked through and as done as desired.
- While chicken cooks, intermittently stir the peppers with your tongs and cook as long as desired noting they may finish a minute or two faster than the chicken.
- Place chicken on a large serving platter and top each chicken breast with additional salsa as desired, evenly place the mango and pineapple, and optionally sprinkle with cilantro and serve immediately.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
©averiecooks.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
More Grilled Chicken Recipes:
Grilled Aloha Chicken and Pineapple – Transports you to Hawaii with every bite of this tender, juicy chicken and the grilled pineapple seals the deal!! EASY, HEALTHY, ready in 10 minutes, and perfect for summer parties, barbecues, and casual weeknight dinners!!
Grilled Sriracha Lime Chicken – EASY, ready in 10 minutes, and the chicken is SPICY, tender, and juicy!! Put this HEALTHY chicken recipe on your summer menu when you want to kick things up a notch!!
Grilled Sriracha Barbecue Chicken – EASY, ready in 10 minutes, and the chicken is just spicy enough with that perfect BBQ chicken flavor!! Grilled peppers on the side makes for the PERFECT summer meal that’s HEALTHY and DELICIOUS!!
Grilled Lime Cilantro Chicken – EASY, ready in 10 minutes, and the chicken is so TENDER, juicy, and full of Mexican-inspired flavor!! Put this HEALTHY chicken recipe on your summer menu rotation and it’ll be a hit with everyone!!
Spicy Garlic Grilled Chicken – An EASY homemade marinade made with everyday ingredients that produces super FLAVORFUL, juicy chicken!! If you’re looking for a NEW marinade to jazz up grilled chicken, this is the one!!
Grilled Lemon Chicken – EASY, ready in 10 minutes, and the chicken is so TENDER, juicy, and full of LEMON flavor!! With grilled broccoli on the side, this is a HEALTHY recipe perfect for swimsuit season that tastes AMAZING!!
Grilled Tandoori Chicken – Recreate this Indian favorite QUICKLY and EASILY at home!! If you’re looking for a new spin on grilled chicken, this is THE recipe to try! Super juicy, flavorful, and you’ll LOVE IT!!
Grilled Honey Mustard Chicken Kabobs – Juicy chicken and crisp vegetables coated in a sweet-and-tangy sauce! Great for parties or easy weeknight dinners! Everything tastes better grilled!