Salsa Verde Chicken Enchiladas — EASY juicy enchiladas with so much flavor from the salsa verde and TONS of melted CHEESE!! Ready in 30 minutes, are made with just a handful of ingredients, and will be an instant family favorite!
Restaurant-Quality Salsa Verde Enchiladas
These salsa verde enchiladas are as good as, if not better than, your favorite Mexican restaurant.
They’re easy to make, ready in 30 minutes, freeze great, and will be an instant family favorite. The chicken is tender and juicy, the salsa verde adds so much bright flavor, and oodles of melted cheese is the best part for me!
Serve the enchiladas with rice and beans or a simple side salad. This recipe is a winner every time!
Ingredients in Salsa Verde Chicken Enchiladas
To make these fast and easy chicken enchiladas with green sauce, you’ll just need SIX easy-to-find refrigerator and panty ingredients including the following:
- Olive oil
- Salsa verde
- Cooked chicken
- Shredded manchego cheese
- Fresh cilantro
How to Make Salsa Verde Chicken Enchiladas
I am telling you, these chicken enchiladas with verde sauce are SO easy to prepare! Here’s an overview of the recipe:
- Just add a layer of salsa verde to a baking dish.
- Then, add the rolled tortillas — which contain mixture of your cooked chicken and salsa verde.
- Top with more salsa verde, add the cheese.
- And bake for about 15 minutes.
The individual components of the green enchiladas have already been cooked, so you’re just looking for the cheese to turn golden and bubbly and everything to be heated through.
What Are the Best Tortillas for Enchiladas?
What kind of tortillas is always a hotly debated question – corn or flour? I’ll give you my take on it.
Mexicans typically make enchiladas with corn tortillas. The issue is that they are more prone to ripping when you roll them unless you gently warm the tortillas in the oven for a few minutes before you begin to roll them.
I use flour tortillas because that’s what I had on hand and they are much more foolproof when it comes to ripping or tearing, no need to warm them in advance.
What to Serve with Salsa Verde Enchiladas
Not sure what to serve with these chicken enchiladas verdes?
Here are some of my favorite enchilada side dishes:
- Grilled Avocado Corn Salad
- Grilled Mexican Corn (Elote)
- Avocado Black Bean Salad
- Creamy Corn and Zucchini Salad
- Mexican Bean Salad with Corn
- Mexican Wedge Salad
Tips for the Best Chicken Enchiladas Verdes
This is such a simple recipe but here are a few of my final tips and tricks to make sure your chicken enchiladas with salsa verde are the best!
What Kind of Salsa?
You could also make your own using the blender portion from my verde pozole recipe.
What Kind of Chicken?
For most people, shredded rotisserie chicken is the way to go! It’s the easiest and saves time!
The traditional way to make chicken for chicken enchiladas is by using Poached Chicken. Basically, you’ll boil or poach the chicken with water, some wine, half of a white onion, and a few cloves of garlic, and then shredding it.
Pin This Recipe
Salsa Verde Chicken Enchiladas
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 24 ounces salsa verde, divided (Trader Joe’s or Herdez are my two favorites)
- 2 ½ to 3 cups cooked chicken, see Note 1 below
- 8 to 10 medium-sized tortillas, I used flour, corn are traditional
- 1 ½ cups shredded manchego cheese, Monterrey Jack, Pepper Jack, or your favorite shredded cheese blend may be substituted
- fresh cilantro, to taste for garnishing
- Preheat oven to 400F (use convection if you have it) and to a 8×10-inch casserole dish or similar sized baking dish, evenly drizzle the olive oil, and tip the dish around to evenly coat the bottom with oil.
- Evenly add 8 ounces of the salsa verde to the baking dish; set aside.
- To a medium bowl, add 8 ounces salsa verde, the chicken, and stir to combine to create the filling mixture.
- Divide the filling mixture evenly between 8 to 10 tortillas.
- Nestle the filled tortillas in the baking dish after rolling them up, seam side down.
- Evenly drizzle the remaining 8 ounces salsa verde over the top of the tortillas.
- Evenly sprinkle with the cheese and bake for about 15 minutes, or until cheese has melted and is as lightly golden browned as desired.
- Evenly sprinkle with cilantro to garnish and serve immediately.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
©averiecooks.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
More Mexican Chicken Recipes:
Chicken Mole Enchiladas – Lightly fried corn tortillas are stuffed with chicken, rolled up, and smothered in rich mole sauce for the best chicken mole enchiladas! A classic, Mexican-inspired family favorite comfort food recipe made FAST and EASY! A shortcut mole recipe that doctors up store bought mole is provided if you don’t want to make homemade mole.
20-Minute Baked Lime Cilantro Chicken Breasts — Super juicy, EASY, tender chicken that’s ready in 20 minutes and made on ONE sheet pan!! Bursting with robust Mexican-inspired lime cilantro flavors that will make this an automatic family FAVORITE!!
Grilled Salsa Verde Pepper Jack Chicken – The EASIEST salsa verde marinade keeps this chicken so juicy and tender!! Melted pepper Jack cheese on top takes an already awesome piece of chicken and makes it that much BETTER!!
Salsa Verde Chicken Chilaquiles – An EASY comfort food recipe with just FOUR main ingredients and ready in 30 minutes!! Layers of corn tostadas and juicy chicken smothered in salsa verde and melted pepper Jack cheese! Great for breakfast, dinner, snacks, a party appetizer or anything in between!!
15-Minute Salsa Verde Chicken with Avocado – Fast, EASY, one skillet recipe!! Juicy chicken with salsa verde, lime juice, cilantro, and creamy avocado has so much Mexican-inspired FLAVOR the whole family will LOVE!!
Loaded Chicken Enchilada Nachos – Juicy chicken soaked in enchilada sauce with black beans, corn, peppers, cilantro, and more!! Cheesy, gooey perfection and READY in 5 minutes! Perfect for parties, tailgating, or anytime you need an EASY nacho fix!!
Easy Chicken Enchilada Bake – All the flavors of your favorite enchiladas, minus the work! Easy, ready in 30 minutes, and you can prep it in advance to save time on busy weeknights or before a big event!
15-Minute Salsa Verde Chicken, Rice, and Beans – Fast, EASY, one skillet recipe!! Between the salsa verde, lime juice, and cilantro mixed with juicy chicken, rice, and beans, you’ll be hooked! Perfect for busy weeknights and meal prepping!!
Chicken Enchilada Sliders — Juicy shredded chicken is tossed in spicy enchilada sauce and is layered in soft Hawaiian rolls along with plenty of melted cheese! Brush them with a melted garlic butter and oregano mixture and garnish with cilantro and avocado! PERFECT for entertaining, game days, Superbowl, or a FAST and EASY weeknight dinner that’s ready in 30 minutes!
Originally published June 17, 2020 and republished on February 17, 2023 with updated text.